Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    No one really focusing on Keith Crain, huh ?
    Next time I'll just post another title as Bike Thread number ____
    #Hijacked.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-21-18 at 10:15 AM.

I don't care how wide and desolate they are...they're not your personal freeways.

And they're also not your personal bike paths. Disagree. As long as riders are obeying the rules of the road [[going the correct way, etc.) bikes have full and legal access to all lanes of a road where they are not explicitly forbidden [[freeways and the like).

Also no one over the age of 12 should ever ride their bike on the sidewalk. It's not against the law in Detroit, but should be, especially in pedestrian-dense areas!!
    Last edited by middetres; June-21-18 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    #Hijacked.
    Not really. I thought that was made pretty clear by some of the first responders. I didn't feel to need to pile on.

The reaction to Crain's editorial here was somewhat predictable, but the fact that the comments on the Crain's site itself were so overwhelmingly not in support of his editorial was heartwarming.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    I don't care how wide and desolate they are...they're not your personal freeways.

And they're also not your personal bike paths. Disagree. As long as riders are obeying the rules of the road [[going the correct way, etc.) bikes have full and legal access to all lanes of a road where they are not explicitly forbidden [[freeways and the like).

Also no one over the age of 12 should ever ride their bike on the sidewalk. It's not against the law in Detroit, but should be, especially in pedestrian-dense areas!!

So, if the City has given cyclists explicit paths, and they choose to ride out of the explicit path, or not two abreast, in the right lane, not impeding traffic flow, then they are outside the law, no?

Crain is acting as a virtual spokesman for the internal combustion society that time is inevitably leaving behind. His family have made a very good living off of car culture and the car business that fed it, but he should only need to look at the car buying habits of younger consumers [[and their increasing use of alternative modes of transportation) and the creeping technological and production changes in the global auto industry to see that he is yelling into the wind. The negative reactions to his ridiculously antiquated screed should come as no surprise.

DETROIT: a place where residents walk down the middle of the street because sidewalks limit visibility of incoming attackers Really? I thought it was because so few people shovel their sidewalks and/or the condition of the sidewalks is worse than the street. I see this much more frequently in winter than summer.
    MOST Detroiters DO shovel their sidewalks, MOST sidewalks are in BETTER shape than the streets, and there's MUCH MORE street walking in the SUMMER than winter.

Automobile drivers break the law daily - that's why traffic court exists.
    Cycling has it's bad apples as well, and could be given citations.

Some cities even have a Scooter issue, on top of everything else
    http://www.govtech.com/fs/transporta...ohibition.html

Will everyone be happy at some point, probably not, but progress happens anyway, regardless, and in some cases, in spite of total bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    MOST Detroiters DO shovel their sidewalks, MOST sidewalks are in BETTER shape than the streets, and there's MUCH MORE street walking in the SUMMER than winter.
    When I lived in Boston Edison, yes most did, but few ever did their sidewalks along their side frontage if they lived on a corner lot.

Where I am in LaSalle Gardens, very few shovel their walks, especially on the cross streets.

And in the 30 years I've lived in Detroit, from Palmer Park to Cass Corridor and in between, I've never seen more people walking in the streets in summer than in winter. But that's just my experience.

Is there a "special reason" the original post
    doesn't show up in the Headline anymore ?

dtowncitylover did not start the thread ---

Detroit is NO LONGER the motor city - accept it - it's over

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...n#.WypzoKdKiUl

................the best is at the end of the article
    I'm still seeing it, O3H, so perhaps it was a glitch...

It's not "started thread" it's "last post by"
    Is there a "special reason" the original post
    doesn't show up in the Headline anymore ?

dtowncitylover did not start the thread ---

.........No - it is not '''the last post by" ...........

It would appear someone did not care for my choice of wording
    and just chopped it out, in favor of something else.

I guess I don't understand what you mean; the post is still there and it is on the Headline news page. It shows you as OP, but on the "Discuss Detroit" thread, it always shows who made the last post next to the headline next to replies/views.
    Did they change the title or something?
    .........No - it is not '''the last post by" ...........

It would appear someone did not care for my choice of wording
    and just chopped it out, in favor of something else.

I am still trying to figure out what the "gets owned" is about,did somebody purchase him at the flea market?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I guess I don't understand what you mean; the post is still there and it is on the Headline news page. It shows you as OP, but on the "Discuss Detroit" thread, it always shows who made the last post next to the headline next to replies/views.
    Did they change the title or something?

He/she is looking @ the wrong thread.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-22-18 at 09:30 AM.

When I lived in Boston Edison, yes most did, but few ever did their sidewalks along their side frontage if they lived on a corner lot.

Where I am in LaSalle Gardens, very few shovel their walks, especially on the cross streets.

And in the 30 years I've lived in Detroit, from Palmer Park to Cass Corridor and in between, I've never seen more people walking in the streets in summer than in winter. But that's just my experience.
    Neither Palmer Park nor the Cass Corridor are representative of the average Detroit neighborhood--and naturally, they are also the least likely places to see people walking in the street.

Just for Richard - we'll spell it out for you

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...etting%20owned

I doubt if I typed in """""getting his ass handed to him""""
    it would pass the censors of this webpage

#beatdown #crushed #humiliated #spanked
    Last edited by O3H; June-22-18 at 12:26 PM.

Lol,you have never seen meddles description of his/her infatuation of big butts?

not a censored word,most just choose not to use the language,it is kinda confusing with multiple definitions,with the pound spanked,some people like that,so it could be construed that a nice thing happened.

Does the whole urban urban definition of things apply to suburbanites?

Anyways thanks for the clarification.

Shhhhhhhh - Don't tell Keith Crain

.@CityofDetroit is redesigning Conner Ave & E Warren
    on the Eastside & adding protected bike lanes.
    Construction to start after E Jefferson is completed on July 4th

Screw Keith Crain - Detroit needs to diversify away from automobiles
    and the military industrial complex of its past. We don't need Selfridge.
    We need NEW STUFF to survive and should stop patting ourselves on the back

Screw Keith Crain - Detroit needs to diversify away from automobiles
    and the military industrial complex of its past. We don't need Selfridge.
    We need NEW STUFF to survive and should stop patting ourselves on the back
    'diversify away from'

that's an interesting turn of phrase.

so diversity here doesn't mean 'many different things', but 'less of what I don't like'.

ha.

Many journalists, media types, etc. have mentioned Diversity
    --not just me.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...t-most/517194/

It's not a matter of like or dislike, it's the reality of the times.
    Nothing lasts forever, and Detroit is no longer a powerhouse.

Chinese joint ventures and leading manufacturers like Volkswagen were among the leading passenger car manufacturers in China. It is expected that automakers will undertake unprecedented investment programs to grow their businesses not only in China and India, but also in other emerging markets.
    Last edited by O3H; July-01-18 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    'diversify away from'

that's an interesting turn of phrase.

so diversity here doesn't mean 'many different things', but 'less of what I don't like'.

ha.
    Well, you can read whatever strange significance you want into it, but "diversify away from" is a completely normal idiom. Look it up. If you put it into Google you get 35 million hits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2