Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Farmington's Little India

The City of Farmington, MI. known for it's historic Quaker Built country homes and a traditional but busy little downtown. Now has a small, but fast growing East Indian community in the far west end area. It's growing really fast. There are fewer and newer East Indian restaurants and grocery stores around 10 Grand River and Drake Rd area. Their contribution will bring great diversity in Southwest Oakland County.

What you all think about this matter?

This is fantastic if its true. This area has not grown in population since the 1960's, we need immigrants to come and give us some life. I am going to have to make a trip out there to sample the Indian restaurants because there are hardly any Indian restaurants in downtown and the west side of Detroit where I live.

I don't think there's an identifiable Little India. There's a large Indian population in Novi, Northville, Farmington and West Bloomfield, [[and Canton and Troy for that matter) but I would not say there's any obvious nexus.

There are some great Indian restaurants in the area. And there are always flyers advertising Indian music concerts, gurus, and other celebrities making local stops on their tours in the front waiting areas. So it's probably a thing.

Tumerican Vegetarian Cuisine on Novi Rd. is *outstanding*, and I'm not a vegetarian. In the same strip mall is China Cafe, which is one of the better Chinese restaurants in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    this is fantastic if its true. This area has not grown in population since the 1960's, we need immigrants to come and give us some life. I am going to have to make a trip out there to sample the indian restaurants because there are hardly any indian restaurants in downtown and the west side of detroit where i live.
    Go out there and take a look.