Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ It has NO significance. Again, if this was where he did his work and accomplished something historic there, fine. But apparently all he did there was fill diapers.
    OK, so residential historic preservation is not your thing. We get it.

^^ It has NO significance. Again, if this was where he did his work and accomplished something historic there, fine. But apparently all he did there was fill diapers.
    You have no idea what he did there, if he did work there or not. Why should that matter when designating a home to be 'historic?'

Why do you have such strong opinions about a city that you haven't been to in thirty years and of which you've stated that you will never visit again in your lifetime?

"History is bunk!" -- attributed to Henry Ford.

Being a history nut myself, I certainly disagree, but there are many folks who would agree with Hank the Ace.

"Bunkie is history!" -- attributed to Henry Ford II

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Why do you have such strong opinions about a city that you haven't been to in thirty years and of which you've stated that you will never visit again in your lifetime?
    Yeah! What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post

Better yet...why is he on such a staunch Detroit-centric site to begin with?

Why does every thread on this forum become a heated argument?

Albert Kahn was a prolific Detroit architect. Whether he designed every single landmark in Detroit, which would have been odd, or not doesn’t matter. He is well known. He was innovative and a notable Detroiter. Why do those of you against putting a marker up outside his house to honor him feel so strongly on the subject? Why does it matter so much if a plaque is placed honoring a notable life for passersby to see?

It’s definitely time Detroit begins to boast about the accomplishments that have been done within its borders. I see nothing wrong with enlightening a passing pedestrian on the history of the owner of 208 Mack.

I have a problem with marking any house, no matter where it is worldwide if nothing any more significant than a birth took place there.

I have a problem with marking any house, no matter where it is worldwide if nothing any more significant than a birth took place there.
    And you feel so passionately that no house should have a marker that you must derail an entire thread on a perfectly reasonable topic? Come on.

Britain has small, unobtrusive blue plaques that indicate that something happened in a building - Albert Kahn lived here, Edgar Guest made the first rhyme with orange. Those might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Detroit gushes about Albert Kahn constantly. Even most random suburbanites know who Albert Kahn is.

Albert Kahn's name pops up in architecture books in relation to his factory designs being inspirational to European modernists. Sometimes the books will mention him specifically, as he was a leader in that area, or they'll discuss the factories more generally.

He's not known for his firm's commercial or residential design outside of local history and general interest circles.

Kahn owned his architecture firm which did a lot of factories, and his brother was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Kahn_[[inventor). Together they designed a lot of factories, and also had patents and other businesses related to concrete construction techniques. They were either directly or indirectly involved in a huge percentage of factories built during that time.
    Fun Fact: The M-3 Lee tank in the picture was the very first tank built at the Tank Plant in Warren.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Though no "birth" took place at 208 Mack, it is historically significant both due to its construction techniques and it being the source of inspiration to a architectural artist, particularly its garden [[which I'm wondering if that can be restored as well).

Thousands of residences are considered historically significant in this country, both at the state and national levels. Isn't the Montecello significant? Mt. Vernon? Hearst Castle? A home need not be so opulent to be of historical significance. Henry Ford's first home is rather modest.

When I hear back from AIA Detroit, I will let all of you know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    At the risk of repeating myself:

Though no "birth" took place at 208 Mack, it is historically significant both due to its construction techniques and it being the source of inspiration to a architectural artist, particularly its garden [[which I'm wondering if that can be restored as well).

Thousands of residences are considered historically significant in this country, both at the state and national levels. Isn't the Montecello significant? Mt. Vernon? Hearst Castle? A home need not be so opulent to be of historical significance. Henry Ford's first home is rather modest.

When I hear back from AIA Detroit, I will let all of you know about that.
    You are spinning your wheels, the house already has an historic listing. 208 Mack Avenue is a contributing building to the Brush Park Historic District. The District is on both the National and City registers. The marker in front of 208 has absolutely nothing to with the house but the current occupants of the residence. Now National Landmark status could be conveyed to the house. Also I would be very surprised if the AIA lifted a finger to help out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2