Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default US-Canada Relations - Let's pull together, not apart

Peace and amity between the US and Canada is the foundation of the stability of our Detroit-Windsor international metropolis. We take it for granted. And why not? Our countries have stood side-by-side through wars, conflicts, good times and hard times.

Stand back and look from space. We are one huge metropolis with river passing through it with the same oddball NW to SE roadways.

Name:  detroit_Windsor.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  232.5 KB

It wasn’t always this way. From 1812-1815, when Canada was still under British rule, a nasty war was fought along these borders. Towns were burned, massacres occurred and Detroit was enemy-occupied for 18 months. An America army marauded across Southern Ontario and no shipping was safe in the Great Lakes waterways.

But we overcame that past, became good friends, then allies, then business partners. We prospered, grew together and our international family of communities became the auto capitols of our countries. Together we built our North American security, prosperity and democracies.

I find very disturbing the level of insult and vile discourse the current US administration and President has chosen to direct at Canada—our closest friend and ally. I, as one American, do not share those views and condemn such remarks as not only insulting to our friends and neighbors, but to Americans as well.

This behavior calls for us who know our histories and value our friendships to pull closer together as friends across the border and not allow the bad behavior of a few to destroy what took so long to build and so benefits us all.

Amen. There is apparently nothing that can be done to censor the current
    President. How long can this behavior be ignored?

Michigan voted for the ignorant clown in the WH. This is apparently what many people wanted. Chaos, strife and economic decline.

As a critical swing state, we bear considerable responsibility for this pending trade disaster, and have no one to blame but ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Peace and amity between the US and Canada is the foundation of the stability of our Detroit-Windsor international metropolis. We take it for granted. And why not? Our countries have stood side-by-side through wars, conflicts, good times and hard times.

Stand back and look from space. We are one huge metropolis with river passing through it with the same oddball NW to SE roadways.

It wasn’t always this way. From 1812-1815, when Canada was still under British rule, a nasty war was fought along these borders. Towns were burned, massacres occurred and Detroit was enemy-occupied for 18 months. An America army marauded across Southern Ontario and no shipping was safe in the Great Lakes waterways.

But we overcame that past, became good friends, then allies, then business partners. We prospered, grew together and our international family of communities became the auto capitols of our countries. Together we built our North American security, prosperity and democracies.

I find very disturbing the level of insult and vile discourse the current US administration and President has chosen to direct at Canada—our closest friend and ally. I, as one American, do not share those views and condemn such remarks as not only insulting to our friends and neighbors, but to Americans as well.

This behavior calls for us who know our histories and value our friendships to pull closer together as friends across the border and not allow the bad behavior of a few to destroy what took so long to build and so benefits us all.

Thumbs up, Lowell.

Don't worry. I haven't met a single fellow Canadian who feels there is a speck of animosity toward the Unites States or its citizens due to the idiot in chief. [[You do hear the phrase, "What the hell were they thinking?" occasionally however.) Speaking of that, he may even make our new premier seem normal.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Don't worry. I haven't met a single fellow Canadian who feels there is a speck of animosity toward the Unites States or its citizens due to the idiot in chief. [[You do hear the phrase, "What the hell were they thinking?" occasionally however.) Speaking of that, he may even make our new premier seem normal.
    What I find so frightening is that amount of support this clown still has in the US. It seems no matter what he says or does his supporters still love him. It's one thing to wrap oneself in the national flag. It's quite another to isolate oneself from your allies.

So it is okay for one PM to say he wants what is best for his country and its citizens but not okay for our president to have the same stance?

Nothing against Canada but sense when do we put her needs before ours?
    Last edited by Richard; June-11-18 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garyalex View Post
    What I find so frightening is that amount of support this clown still has in the US. It seems no matter what he says or does his supporters still love him.
    It's cult worship. There is nothing the Orange Idiot could say that wouldn't be eagerly embraced/parroted by his base, so it's incumbent on the rest of us to fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So it is okay for one PM to say he wants what is best for his country and its citizens but not okay for our president to have the same stance?
    Putting our enemies first and closest allies last is the absolutely dumbest thing imaginable from a U.S. President.

Well said!

You miss out on the point of everything don't you?

Sigh.

No one critiqued your beloved orangeness for rep'ing US trade interests; even wrongly.

Its that words like 'special place in hell' and 'backstabber', 'weak' and 'liar' were used to describe our PM.

You just don't do that. Aside from that fact its completely untrue, you wouldn't say it if it anyway.

That he also gets the policy points wrong is only adding to the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    You miss out on the point of everything don't you?

Sigh.

No one critiqued your beloved orangeness for rep'ing US trade interests; even wrongly.

Its that words like 'special place in hell' and 'backstabber', 'weak' and 'liar' were used to describe our PM.

You just don't do that. Aside from that fact its completely untrue, you wouldn't say it if it anyway.

That he also gets the policy points wrong is only adding to the mess.
    so your butt hurt because he called him names,kinda like you just did in reverse and pretty much what everybody that dislikes him and posts about it with pride.

I do notice that everybody stays anonymous so we cannot post comments about their skin color,or hair or weight or appearance fair is fair.Did you also refer to the previous president based on his skin color?

Its like a 3 year old telling a 3 year old to act his age.

so your butt hurt because he called him names,kinda like you just did in reverse and pretty much what everybody that dislikes him and posts about it with pride.

I do notice that everybody stays anonymous so we cannot post comments about their skin color,or hair or weight or appearance fair is fair.Did you also refer to the previous president based on his skin color?

I expect the president to act like an adult, if no one else.

We expect him to act like a statesman,the whole world knew long ago he was anything but,if his supporters were looking for a statesman or woman they would have voted differently.

They were looking for somebody to rattle the cage and do what it takes to put this country on track for everybody,PC correctness be damed.

Yes I misspelled it on purpose.

But everybody there was taking their jabs,and everybody there was there in the best interests of their country,but the G8,G7,G6.5 is about issues in the world as a collective.

Which everybody is already well aware of but yet doing nothing about it anyways,so let's hold a summit.

Considering the way people act in general anymore,telling somebody to act like an adult is kinda subjective.
    Last edited by Richard; June-11-18 at 12:57 PM.

My butt is fine, ty for your concern.

You as usual move the topic from where it is, was, and should be to where it was not, is not, should not be.

I am not the the President of the United States, nor a world leader or diplomat of other description.

I do publicly speak from time to time, and in that capacity, I would frankly be unlikely to reference your president at all; but if I did, it would not be 'his orange-ness' because I have an organization to represent and a public image to uphold.

This, in case you missed it, is an internet forum where we mostly post anonymously. There is a distinct difference between the 2 mediums.

The fact I recognize that shows a maturity your president and his lackeys are woefully short on.

You as usual move the topic from where it is, was, and should be to where it was not, is not, should not be.

I am not the the President of the United States, nor a world leader or diplomat of other description.

I do publicly speak from time to time, and in that capacity, I would frankly be unlikely to reference your president at all; but if I did, it would not be 'his orange-ness' because I have an organization to represent and a public image to uphold.

This, in case you missed it, is an internet forum where we mostly post anonymously. There is a distinct difference between the 2 mediums.

The fact I recognize that shows a maturity your president and his lackeys are woefully short on.

Making DetroitYES! Great again....

We expect him to act like a statesman,the whole world knew long ago he was anything but,if his supporters were looking for a statesman or woman they would have voted differently.
    I also expect the president to draw a line between campaign-mode and maintaining the international alliances that have stabilized the world for the past 70 years. It's one thing to name call political opponents. Quite another to name call leaders of our ally countries that we need to maintain a world order with our country on the top.

The pot calling the kettle black.

The topic was not about me.
    The topic was not about you.

It would seem to me anyways that it was about acceptable ways of communicating for statesman,if it effects the long term relationships between the two countries in a negative way,outside the realm of politics and it should be no surprise that our currant president is anything but a statesman.

Going into the meeting with Korea and sitting across from him at the table,knowing full well that he has no problem pissing the rest of the world off,what do you think the odds are that tiny little Korea is going to think he is going to be a pushover?
    Last edited by Richard; June-11-18 at 01:23 PM.

That's a cute but unless you can point me to a passage in history where war, slavery and genocide were unleashed over bad spray tans it's a very false equivalence.

Likewise it's rank hypocrisy to suggest personal attacks are off limits when the fattest president since Taft has made a history of personal attacks against his opponents, their families, and anyone else that catches his limited attention.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I also expect the president to draw a line between campaign-mode and maintaining the international alliances that have stabilized the world for the past 70 years. It's one thing to name call political opponents. Quite another to name call leaders of our ally countries that we need to maintain a world order with our country on the top.
    How is world order being maintained?

Russia invaded and took Chimera.They did get a spanking though.
    Burma is playing Hitler redux by purging millions of Muslims and christians either by genocide or forced relocation outside of its borders.

Millions of refugees across the globe are dieing everyday at sea while fleeing other countries.

Slaves are sold on open market in Africa.

Iran just wants to nuke everybody.

This stuff did not start yesterday,nobody has intervened.

So let's hold a summit to talk about it but continue to do nothing in order to maintain world order,Kinda a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    That's a cute but unless you can point me to a passage in history where war, slavery and genocide were unleashed over bad spray tans it's a very false equivalence.

Likewise it's rank hypocrisy to suggest personal attacks are off limits when the fattest president since Taft has made a history of personal attacks against his opponents, their families, and anyone else that catches his limited attention.
    You seriously checked the height and weight of every president sense Taft?

Peace and amity between the US and Canada is the foundation of the stability of our Detroit-Windsor international metropolis.
    First step is to impeach and imprison the Monster on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Gang you'll never convince Tricky Dicky how evil the Love of His Life is.

How is world order being maintained?
    We have far, far, far fewer mass casualty conflicts than we used to. Most war deaths in the 20th century occurred pre-1950. The global estimates of how many people died in 20th century wars range from 100 million to 150 million. About 80-90% of those deaths were in the conflicts from the turn of the century through the Korean War in the 1950s.

A big key to keeping the relative peace was our country maintaining diplomatic relations with key allies, particularly in Europe, North America, and strategic partnerships in Asia [[Japan, S. Korea). This president seems intent on turning that upside down, for no coherent reason. At best, he does no harm and this just passes over. At worst, he gets what he wants and pushes us into a period of global instability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll

You seriously checked the height and weight of every president sense Taft?
    The currant [[sic) President is the fattest sense [[sic) Taft.
    Your spelling of Crimea as Chimera [[sic) is daft.
    Put in a good word for Putin,
    Never mind collusion and graft.
    If Chump chokes at a friendly poker table,
    Just think of the mess he’ll make of Kim Jung Un.
    One big sinking Orange leader fore and aft.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast