Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Alamo Drafthouse coming to Cass Corridor

Pretty big news that the Midtown/Cass Corridor area will have a movie theatre that features craft beer.

I visited a place in Indianapolis called Flix Brewhouse. I'm not sure how similar they are but based on the write-up, it sounds somewhat similar.

Looking forward to seeing this by 2020.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...idtown-detroit

Love Alamo Drafthouse. Glad to hear it.

They'll have good visibility at that location. That area also might get very crowded soon.

Alamo has been doing great down in Austin for at least 15 yrs now; everyone I know down there loves it

This will also mark Alamo Drafthouse's reentry into Michigan after it closed it's theater in downtown Kalamazoo after the property where it was located was sold.

This is really great news! The more Detroit can offer people all the things they enjoy in the suburbs in an urban, walkable setting, the more people will move in.

I would think this would help Q Line ridership as well. The location is just far enough out of downtown that it's probably not walkable for most living there.

why would it take so long to build

Supposedly they are super ultra strict about cell phones/ disturbing your fellow patrons. I will love that.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I would think this would help Q Line ridership as well. The location is just far enough out of downtown that it's probably not walkable for most living there.
    I agree with this statement about the Q Line. This is exactly the people streetcars most effectively serve--people that live near the line, but outside suitable walking distance. If someone lives in New Center or Downtown, the walk to Mack is a bit too far, but riding the Q Line and avoiding the cost of parking perfectly suits their needs.

People are walking up and down that neighbourhood...I had a late lunch at Bakersfield the other day and in the span of less than one hour while sitting at a window view seat at least 12-15 people walked past carrying Whole Foods shopping bags plus other foot traffic. Amazing for a formerly desolate stretch of Woodward.

Good news for the Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I agree with this statement about the Q Line. This is exactly the people streetcars most effectively serve--people that live near the line, but outside suitable walking distance.
    That will be the "ah ha" moment, when Detroit suddenly realizes it has had urban development wrong for the past 70 years.

Though the Magic Bag was a great concept. Although I’m not a drinker, I love it.

A community movie theater in the D. Let's hope it works.

Bring more people into Detroit...

I always found the Cass Corridor very empty of people... except on game days. An Alamo Drafthouse would add to the area's overall appeal.

Foxtown is buzzing during a game [[or concert) at Comerica Park, and the extra people don't look to me like locals.

Hopefully Cass Corridor will soon have the same appeal as Foxtown.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Bring more people into Detroit...

I always found the Cass Corridor very empty of people... except on game days. An Alamo Drafthouse would add to the area's overall appeal.

Foxtown is buzzing during a game [[or concert) at Comerica Park, and the extra people don't look to me like locals.

Hopefully Cass Corridor will soon have the same appeal as Foxtown.
    Totally agree. I’m certain with the influx of residentials coming on line over the next few years will change that.

Residential development is badly lacking in this area currently. The area bordered roughly by MLK to the north, Grand River to the south, Cass to the east, and the lodge to the west is still very much Cass corridor and so far hasn't really benefited from the growth of Midtown or "The District". Trash strewn lots full of vagrants waiting for the remaining social service organizations to open is the norm.

Developments like this new theater, Founders, Detroit Shipping co, and the renewed interest in the old Chinatown certainly help but these are only temporary attractions if no one is actually living in the neighborhood full time.

Residential development is badly lacking in this area currently. The area bordered roughly by MLK to the north, Grand River to the south, Cass to the east, and the lodge to the west is still very much Cass corridor and so far hasn't really benefited from the growth of Midtown or "The District". Trash strewn lots full of vagrants waiting for the remaining social service organizations to open is the norm.

Developments like this new theater, Founders, Detroit Shipping co, and the renewed interest in the old Chinatown certainly help but these are only temporary attractions if no one is actually living in the neighborhood full time.
    North of MLK is fairly vibrant. But the area immediately around the Masonic Temple, especially to the north and west, is quite empty. Development has not extended out that way, but the new mixed-use development on Selden and the [[misguided) residential development of the Wigle Playfield will definitely help turn around the "South Cass" area.

Lots of those vacancies in this area are Illitch owned, especially further south near the new stadium and Masonic.