Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Residence of Joe Louis in Boston Edison

I have seen information reporting that Joe Louis lived in
    Boston Edison at 1683 Edison. Can anyone confirm that?
    If so, when did he live there and did he own or rent?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I have seen information reporting that Joe Louis lived in
    Boston Edison at 1683 Edison. Can anyone confirm that?
    If so, when did he live there and did he own or rent?
    Thank you.
    Stunning house!! Have a look.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/12...-home-for-sale
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; June-08-18 at 09:27 PM.

What a beauty and great story of its restoration from Curbed.

Sold for 217k last year. Good deal for a total re-do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Sold for 217k last year. Good deal for a total re-do.
    That was a excellent deal being in Boston Edison, and the fact that Louis use to live there adds to it. I've seen homes that need total restorations go for much higher.

I've read in several places recently that Joe Louis owned/lived in this house, which is on Edison between Woodrow Wilson and Rosa Parks [[12th St., in those days). But that all seems to be based on the words of neighbors, and I've never seen any independent confirmation of it.

As far as I know from his bios, his managers brought Joe to Chicago to start his professional career and he stayed there for the rest of his boxing life. He reportedly bought a farm near Utica in the early '40s for his horse riding hobby, but I've never seen any evidence that he actually lived in this area again. He did apparently buy houses for his mother and other family members though, so maybe this is one of those houses?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-08-18 at 11:40 AM.

OT: This house has a couple of fraternal twins in the neighborhood. One on Edison, another on Atkinson.

Name:  1411 Edison.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 11.56.47 AM.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  116.9 KB

Edited for clarity.

My great aunt lived in this house from somewhere around the mid 60's until she passed away in the early 2000's.

I've heard the Joe Louis story before but nothing beyond neighborhood legend. He lived in, rented, or stayed with someone in the house at some point in his early career.

The only evidence I can put my hand on is an original drawing of a boxer, which everyone believes to be Joe Louis, that my grandmother has. I don't think it's dated but I've never investigated.

It's the last extant piece of what were several nicer than average pieces of memorabilia found in my grandparent's home on Longfellow when they moved in. Which we interpret to mean someone in Louis' orbit was nearby.
    Last edited by Shai_Hulud; June-08-18 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I've read in several places recently that Joe Louis owned/lived in this house, which is on Edison between Woodrow Wilson and Rosa Parks [[12th St., in those days). But that all seems to be based on the words of neighbors, and I've never seen any independent confirmation of it.

As far as I know from his bios, his managers brought Joe to Chicago to start his professional career and he stayed there for the rest of his boxing life. He reportedly bought a farm near Utica in the early '40s for his horse riding hobby, but I've never seen any evidence that he actually lived in this area again. He did apparently buy houses for his mother and other family members though, so maybe this is one of those houses?
    Actually Joe Louis and his family moved to Detroit from Alabama in the early 1920's. He in fact lived with my Great Uncle, Bill Stewart, who trained him and fought as an amateur out of Christ Church on Jefferson as did my Dad Ernie Maurer who became the fourth ranked Bantamweight in the world in 1932-33! Joe fought his early amateur fights out of the Broadhead Naval Armory as did my Dad. Joe Louis started hid pro career in Chicago but always claimed Detroit as "home". He won the Golden Gloves in Chicago as an amateur.
    Last edited by Trumpeteer; June-08-18 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Actually Joe Louis and his family moved to Detroit from Alabama in the early 1920's. He in fact lived with my Great Uncle, Bill Stewart, who trained him and fought as an amateur out of Christ Church on Jefferson as did my Dad Ernie Maurer who became the fourth ranked Bantamweight in the world in 1932-33! Joe fought his early amateur fights out of the Broadhead Naval Armory as did my Dad. Joe Louis started hid pro career in Chicago but always claimed Detroit as "home". He won the Golden Gloves in Chicago as an amateur.
    Very interesting history Trumpeteer.

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    It is an interesting story, thank you for sharing