Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White Castle

Default White Castle

I know we discussed White Castle's service on the "old" Dyes board but I want to give credit where credit is due...we went to the drive thru on John R just off of Big Beaver and received our order in just under 8 minutes! I timed it from ordering, till the drinks made it through the window! Really, it happened. This was just this past Friday at around 5:30 p.m.

When I worked around the area, the service was painfully slow at the establishment on Greenfield around 10 Mile. Maybe management had a talk with the employees? Just wondering what service is like elsewhere.

Kinda slow at Michigan & Venoy in Wayne,Yet that could be because they are usually pretty busy.

All I remember was slow service at White Castle. That said, It's worth the wait. Erie - thats the one I stop at, when I'm in the area.

Please keep in mind that if a few people come through and order a couple of "crave cases" or other large orders that can pretty much clear off the grill and they have to start fresh. Last time I was at WC, we ordered 100 burgers to go. Many, many people order large quantities of "sliders". Keeping enough burgers going to satisfy counter AND drive thru can at times be a monumental task and delays are inevitable. However, like a previous poster said..the wait is worth it. We don't have a WC in this part of Minnesota, so the last time we had to go to the Twin Cities, we really stocked up. 100 fresh plus a case of frozens to bring home.

I have never ever once gotten through a White Castle drive-thru with any sort of speed. I've never understood it either. Congrats to you if you have because I've waited there for well over 10 minutes before. It boggles the imagination that they can be so slow too. From what I understand, their burgers don't need to be flipped as they cook on the grill. Size wise, it's obvious- they should be able to get more on a grill and move them quicker. Fixings? Those should be a snap too.

Again I love my White Castles but do I ever wish they had the speed of a McDonalds or Burger King in the drive-thru.

Stosh Guest

Ok just curious as to the amount of White Castle hamburgers one can eat at a sitting.
    In my youth, on a dare, I ate 40. Sick for 3 days. Still love them though.

I do know someone that works at a Castle though, I'll ask why the service is so slow.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsuperfly View Post
    Damn you all! Now I'm hungry for White Castles!

I'll never forgive you!

Hey, when you get that hankerin' - you gotta have 'em!

Oh, the one on Greenfield that I mentioned...one car in front of me, no cars in the lot - I waited and waited one day. I can understand if there's a huge order yes, but the guy in front of me received a small bag and a drink. I pulled up to the window and waited and waited for someone to take my money...then waited and waited for my order. That place was consistently slow as I had stopped there many times during the 10 year period I worked in the area. I kept giving them chances to quicken up, but it never happened.

But, when nuttin' but a couple of White Castle burgers and an order of onion chips will hit the spot, patience is on the menu!

Hamburgers like White Castle's®

Submitted By: Mary Kolling [[Robbie's mom)
    Prep. Time: 0:20
    Serves: 4

1/4 cup hot water
    1/4 cup dry minced onion
    3 oz. jar beef baby food
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    2/3 cup beef broth
    1 pkg. hot dog buns - buns cut into thirds

-Combine water and onion in small bowl and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
    -Meanwhile, knead together baby food, beef, and broth in a bowl.
    -Form meat mixture into 2 1/2" - 3" patties.
    -In skillet over medium heat, fry patties and onions together until brown on both sides.
    -Serve patties in section of bun and top with onions.
    http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/W/268.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Ok just curious as to the amount of White Castle hamburgers one can eat at a sitting.
    In my youth, on a dare, I ate 40. Sick for 3 days. Still love them though.

I do know someone that works at a Castle though, I'll ask why the service is so slow.
    You ate 40! OMG! I can only eat 3 with onion chips. I've witnessed our youngest son scarf down 10 in no time. I'll have to ask him if he and his buddies ever ate them on a dare!

If your friend tells you why service is so slow - would you please post the reason here so we can all understand the why of it!

I've been the only customer ordering inside, and I still had to wait for up to 15 minutes to get my order. It seems to be that way at the three stores I go to. That's always been a mystery to me.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsuperfly View Post
    40? HAHHAHA!!!

I had 8 last time I went. I don't think that's so bad.
    8 is great. But I always know I could do more... LOL

40 is easy if you don't eat for a while beforehand.
    It's the onions soaked in oil that kills you after a while. Kind of like going to an all you can eat buffet, but that's another story.

8 is great. But I always know I could do more... LOL

40 is easy if you don't eat for a while beforehand.
    It's the onions soaked in oil that kills you after a while. Kind of like going to an all you can eat buffet, but that's another story.
    Stosh - sounds like you and our youngest son paired together could give the owners of an all you can eat restaurant simultaneous heart attacks!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Stosh - sounds like you and our youngest son paired together could give the owners of an all you can eat restaurant simultaneous heart attacks!
    It's not like I ate them all in under an hour. Slow but sure. and for 20 dollars in 1977 money, you bet I can do it. Young guys can EAT. My grandson can polish off the contents of the fridge or pantry quite handily. I'm always going "what happened to.." items I know were there an hour ago.

White Castle, they had the best kangaroo meat in town.

I was at White Castles yesterday. They are 70 cents each now. I remember when they were 15 cents each. Guess I'm dating myself.

I grew up near 8 Mile Rd and Gratiot, where a White Castle was located, across the street from a Top Hat restaurant. I liked White Castle better, but Top Hat would get the 'burger in your hands quicker. Top Hat grilled the onions a little more.
    One could purchase a hamburger and a soft drink for a quarter!

I've done the walk-in thing as well as deal with the drive-thru. Both are notoriously slow. Again, no explanation other than just move to one side and let the next person order. Again, I can't imagine the burgers themselves being that complicated to make. Surely the construction of a White Castle can't be any more difficult to make than say a Whopper or a Big Mac, is there? And yet getting a Burger King or McDonald's burger is light years faster. I'm even thinking less complicated places like Bray's, Greene's, TelWay, Hunter House and other slider places can crank their burgers out faster.

And yes as much as I kvetch about the speed, there really isn't anything else that will satisfy [[or hurt a few hours later) like a White Castle burger.

Chicken should not come as a "ring".

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Chicken should not come as a "ring".
    I'm not a big fan of the chicken rings either.
    But the onions can and should come as a chip.
    With the dipping sauce, who's name escapes me now.
    By the sack, preferably.

My grandson can polish off the contents of the fridge or pantry quite handily. I'm always going "what happened to.." items I know were there an hour ago.
    Our grandson too! Since he's been old enough to walk - he's now 8 years old. He walks in the house and takes inventory of the fridge and the goodie drawer! And helps himself. It's all good!

And the onion chips are the best! Sometimes I think I just get the burgers to accompany the chips! Duh!!! Why do I do that? Nawwww - they just go together, that's a given I guess.

Bearinabox Guest

If White Castle sucks so much, why not try a locally-owned slider joint? There's one at Oakman and W. Chicago that's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I was at White Castles yesterday. They are 70 cents each now. I remember when they were 15 cents each. Guess I'm dating myself.
    You're kidding.......70 cents now?? I haven't bought any in 6 years, since moving to MO. My kids have brought some when visiting, but I had no idea how much they'd gone up. Gonna load up when we go home in May. And I remember when they were 10 cents, and when the price went up to 15 cents. I know I'm dating myself.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Our grandson too! Since he's been old enough to walk - he's now 8 years old. He walks in the house and takes inventory of the fridge and the goodie drawer! And helps himself. It's all good!

And the onion chips are the best! Sometimes I think I just get the burgers to accompany the chips! Duh!!! Why do I do that? Nawwww - they just go together, that's a given I guess.
    Erie, you'll just have to wait another 8 years for the full effect of teenage boydom to manifest itself, grandson style. It's a whole different animal than having your own child into your stuff. Difference is time. Grandson knows that he'll have to go home soon, therefore it's all up for grabs, as soon as possible. Whirlwind.

Erie, you'll just have to wait another 8 years for the full effect of teenage boydom to manifest itself, grandson style. It's a whole different animal than having your own child into your stuff. Difference is time. Grandson knows that he'll have to go home soon, therefore it's all up for grabs, as soon as possible. Whirlwind.
    LOL! I know Stosh!!! Grand kids are so darn special. Ours know they've got us wrapped! They look at you with those "eyes" - how can you say no, and really, really mean it, like you did with their parent? To save time, we just agree and get on with our day! They're spoiled rotten

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I grew up near 8 Mile Rd and Gratiot, where a White Castle was located, across the street from a Top Hat restaurant. I liked White Castle better, but Top Hat would get the 'burger in your hands quicker. Top Hat grilled the onions a little more.
    One could purchase a hamburger and a soft drink for a quarter!
    That was *our* White Castle, too. Service was always slow, but so worth the wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast