Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Foods

Default Gordon Foods

I was riding along Jefferson today when I had noticed a Gordon Food Store sign posted in the window of the former Staples store once was. My question is what level or standard of store could Gordon be compared to? Aldi, Kroger, or all of the Spartans products store in the neighborhoods across the city?

Gordon Foods is ideal for restaurant/bar/institutional use. Large quantities.

They basically sell packaged cafeteria-type food.

Who is the planner for these communities? How does this benefit the community? I would rather seen an Aldi in that spot.

GFS sells retail. Anyone can buy and many private people do. I personally was never impressed. I don't see much value in their prices compared to general grocery stores.

And some food goods and items ala food service in general purchase [[you never know where GFS lurks in even some of the fanciers places)----! Thru the back door out of sight!!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    They basically sell packaged cafeteria-type food.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-02-18 at 09:29 AM.

Me too. The nearest Aldi's from downtown is on Mack and Chalmers I think...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Who is the planner for these communities? How does this benefit the community? I would rather seen an Aldi in that spot.

Well, that's dependent on Aldi wanting to move in. If GFS does well, maybe Aldi would want to give them some competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Me too. The nearest Aldi's from downtown is on Mack and Chalmers I think...
    Isn't there one in Highland Park too?

Gordon's Marketplace [[like the one likely going into the former Staples building) doesn't offer anywhere near the selection of products that GFS delivery service does. They actually supply from separate warehouses, but do have some overlap. The Marketplace stores are probably most similar to small Costco or Sam's Club without all the non-food items. Lots of bulk frozen items, prepared foods, condiments, dry goods, etc.

I actually worked at one of the warehouses for a short time about a decade ago and still have a few friends that work there. They run a tight ship, and even without taking on debt have been on massive buying spree taking over a lot of smaller food service companies.

Nah. There's one [[an Aldies) on eight mile Oak Park, MI.

Last edited by Zacha341; June-02-18 at 08:11 AM.

We go to Gordon's to stock up on non-perishable things like kosher salt, trash bags, and zip locks. Most of the food are in packages too big to get through before they go off.

Yes, there's an Aldi on Woodward.

Most people that have eaten in any kind of restaurant or cafe have probably eaten something from GFS, except maybe for high end or very low end places. And even then, some of the condiments in packages may have come from there.

DRATS! That's right. I apologize. Good local, decent offerings!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Yes, there's an Aldi on Woodward.

If you are having a gathering and don't want to spend all your time in prep and cooking, Gordon's is great for it. They also have disposable storage and serving containers and you don't have to have a membership to shop and buy. The quantities are probably too large for just family dinners and snacks but throw in a few friends and other relatives and it's perfect.

Yes, I've had their [[GFS) chicken salad and with a bit of my own added seasonings it was great!

It's not really a matter of community planning, it's a matter of what the owner of the center can rent the stores for. I would guess that Aldi [[assuming they even wanted to come to that location, with other stores somewhat nearby) would have been seen as too direct a competitor for the Dollar Tree store that rents the other storefront in that center.

Although I would guess that the Dollar Tree management isn't entirely happy with a Gordon store going in there, but at least a bulk food service store isn't selling the same products as DT, and may also bring some extra traffic to that corner that would also benefit DT.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; June-02-18 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's not really a matter of community planning, it's a matter of what the owner of the center can rent the stores for. I would guess that Aldi [[assuming they even wanted to come to that location, with other stores somewhat nearby) would have been seen as too direct a competitor for the Dollar Tree store that rents the other storefront in that center.

Although I would guess that the Dollar Tree management isn't entirely happy with a Gordon store going in there, but at least a bulk food service store isn't selling the same products as DT, and may also bring some extra traffic to that corner that would also benefit DT.
    The bolded makes no sense. You see Aldi sharing the same shopping centers with dollar stores all over the country. The one at Mack / Alter [[Family Dollar) and the one at 8 Mile / Gratiot are a couple of examples locally.

Aldi does appear to be undergoing a massive expansion:

http://www.supermarketnews.com/news/...di-s-expansion

Also, the demographics in that area seem favorable for an Aldi. So there could only be 2 other reasons why GFS ended up there and not Aldi:

1. The owner has ridiculous rent/leasing requirements that Aldi doesn't agree with and won't commit to.

This is a worsening problem all across the country, and part of the reason why many retailers have held off on any expansion plans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/n...orefronts.html

2. The owner didn't even bother to scout Aldi for a store.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-03-18 at 05:28 AM.

I've never been, but where I work, people bring in food and confections for various occasions. I ask people where they bought this and that, and I've often been told Gordon Foods. I've asked if they had to buy the items in bulk, and have been told no, Gordon's also has a onesy-twosy consumer retail section. With all the bars and restaurants in Detroit, and the lack of affordable grocery stores, Gordon Foods just might be a good fit. As far as the consistent wining about "I want this and I want that put in", buy a vehicle and go shop where you like. If you're too cheap and lazy to do that, rent a bicycle and peddle down the "safe streets" to your destination. You're not living @ home anymore, and it's high time you took responsibility and learned to fend for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've never been, but where I work, people bring in food and confections for various occasions. I ask people where they bought this and that, and I've often been told Gordon Foods. I've asked if they had to buy the items in bulk, and have been told no, Gordon's also has a onesy-twosy consumer retail section. With all the bars and restaurants in Detroit, and the lack of affordable grocery stores, Gordon Foods just might be a good fit. As far as the consistent wining about "I want this and I want that put in", buy a vehicle and go shop where you like. If you're too cheap and lazy to do that, rent a bicycle and peddle down the "safe streets" to your destination. You're not living @ home anymore, and it's high time you took responsibility and learned to fend for yourself.
    Buy a vehicle? That's the attitude that help keep Amazon from considering Detroit for it's second location. Residents are forced to depend I cars to get to a decent store to shop. The suburbs, including the higher income ones made sure that they have better retail in their cities that are within walking distance of the neighborhoods. Detroit, on the other hand, residents pay high rent or notes on their homes, condos, and apartments, and don't have decent retail districts to walk to but find themselves driving to the suburbs to shop. These Detroiters are paying more money for rent than the residents of the suburban communities that these Detroiters are shopping in. Get rid of the "if you don't like it buy a car" attitude and Detroiters will see better retail coming to the communities

I never understood appeal of Aldi, expect German expats like it. It's all generic no-brand names.

Much rather have a Kroger in city, but that is unlikely..

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    I never understood appeal of Aldi, expect German expats like it. It's all generic no-brand names.

Not true. Was there this morning [[it was packed) and bought several name brand items. Example, Old spice deodorant $3.00 less than Kroger. The canned fire-roasted tomatoes are the best I've had. Also, Tyson chicken, which at one time, was sold under a different name. Wine is pretty decent and reasonably priced. Snacks are priced to sell as well as diary, spices, paper products, household etc.

The only think I've had an issue with is some of the fruit and vegetables. That's been hit and miss.
    Last edited by Maof; June-03-18 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post

Maybe this will bring you up to speed about Aldi's. You are correct that they do not sell most brand name items there... but what they do sell is in no way inferior to brand name items.

https://corporate.aldi.us/en/aldi-history/

Also fewer than 10% of shoppers are expat Germans. They do have bargain prices, but not bargain quality. Their German brand "Deutsche Küche" [[German Kitchen) is usually frozen foods of the same high quality that they sell in Europe.

One thing I noticed at Aldi's is that none of their food comes from China or elsewhere in Asia... good luck with that at a dollar store or even Kroger.

They also have a rotational selection of indoor/outdoor furnishings and appliances. I bought a $12.99 Italian frying pan that leaves the Chinese crap at Walmarts in the dust....

Aldi's also has the best employee benefit package [[vacation time, paid holiday time, health care) of any American grocery retailer. Also Aldi's successful business model will bring many more new stores to the inner cities. This will help out with not only more inner city job opportunities... but with benefits and good wages.

By 2022 they will have 2500 stores in the USA.

They are also expanding their store sizes by 50%...
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-metro-detroit

P.S. A gallon of milk there costs $1.45... do you really care if it's Borden's or not?

P.P.S. I agree with Maof's comment about their produce... it can be hit or miss... but is no worse than Meijer's... which is similar in the hit or miss department.
    Last edited by Gistok; June-03-18 at 02:26 PM.

^^^ Yes, good points. Aldi's takes a bit of adapting to [[finding items that are like US brand corollaries), but once you find them you're good. Good quality. I too avoid the Chinese products where/ when I can. Especially the frozen dirt fish so many discounters sell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast