Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lake St Clair is polluted - pure and simple

Dumping raw sewage or partially treated sewage into the waterways will cause pollution.. no mystery there... Turning creeks and streams into sanitary and storm drains isn't very high tech either...
    https://redrundrain.wordpress.com/red-run-history/

And goose poop — not humans — is the source of much of the E. coli readings being found along the Detroit River.
    So we need a way to potty train geese.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So we need a way to potty train geese.

Depends.....

I see what you did there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Depends.....

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I see what you did there...
    If Lisa Nowak could drive over 1,000 miles in adult diapers... think of all flushes that could be saved from going into Lake St. Clair?
    Name:  lisa_nowak.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  41.5 KB

Depends.....
    I don't know what came over me but I felt compelled to google goose diapers.

I can't believe they actually exist, let alone in so many colors.

Problem solved. My work here is done.

I think you are entitled to retire on your laurels now.

Depends.....
    hahahaha now that's funny!

What I find interesting that the Canadians in Ontario could mobilize
    -- as a united effort of Citizen Science for data collection along the shore.

Why can't people around metro Detroit do the Flash Mob things
    - after a hard Thunderstorm when Combined Sewage Overflows occur,
    and give the sample to a local university for HUMAN DNA testing ecoli ?

I think local officials are scared, petrified even, that local people demand
    clean water to swim, recreate, kayak, boat, and yes, EVEN DRINK daily.

Michigan the Great Lakes State has the oldest, most archaic, method of moving human waste around Open Drain StormWater Channels .....ouch !!

Great work, but man are you going to get some weird ads now.

Maybe some of the old folks here need diapers.......

This year, the Huron-Clinton Metropark Authority, have begun fighting back -- not with chemical deterrents or frightening them with loud noises but with a natural adversary: dogs.
    Since March, Chris Compton of Goose Busters, located in Holly, has been hard at work nearly every day at Lake St. Clair Metropark to make sure parkgoers won’t need to do so much of the goose-poop two-step this summer. Compton and his stable of border collies have been at the park 5-7 days a week, twice a day, chasing Canada geese off the grounds. It’s an experimental program for the HCMA that, if successful, could become a regular preventative measure. So far, the border collies are making a huge impact.

People who live near any body of water are not sentimental about geese. Aside from being territorial, obnoxious and aggressive, geese are nature’s most prolific shitters. Between the goose shit and their feathers, a flock of geese can quickly render a street, beach, your yard or a sidewalk unusable. At the GM tech center, geese attracted to the Tech Center’s many reflection ponds create such a mess that GM has crews of workers assigned to regular pressure-washing of sidewalks and parking lots.

Geese are nearly impossible to get rid of. If you take their eggs, they'll just lay more eggs. Some communities round them up during molting season in mid summer and truck them up north but they usually fly back. The only tactic that works is to shake the eggs so they don't hatch, but that is difficult and time-consuming to do.

Metro Beach is CLOSED

https://health.macombgov.org/Health-...eachConditions

https://health.macombgov.org/sites/d...morial2018.pdf

This the 5th wettest May on record = 6.35 inches precipitation

That means combined sewer overflows caused a problem !!!!

Just a thought for OH3

I have read your many threads on the lack of capital improvements to the storm water runoff in the metro Detroit area.

I do not disagree with the issue and believe 100% that major capital improvements are needed to all the sewer/storm runoff basins in southeast MI.

Where I completely disagree is that you constantly hammer the points of there has to be “regionalism” and that Oakland County is “wealthy” and L. Brooks is a total “a-hole.” You and I probably would agree on those opinions but it doesn’t change the fact that they are subjective to a great degree. Brooks has been re-elected 5 times and would likely win again in 2020 if not for the reach of the grim reaper. Obviously that proves ours would be a minority opionion in OC.

Wealth is almost always measured in the eye of the beholder. To someone working in a McDonalds, you and I might be considered “wealthy,” yet Bill Gates might very possibly think our combined net worth looks like what he needs to survive the weekend.

Your continuous contradiction that these improvements need to be made for the “region” [[yet you always omit the other basins making your concerns look self serving) and that Oakland County will pay for them because they are wealthy are doomed to utter and total failure. The proof of the failure in your tactics exist in that The City of Detroit has been using the exact same argument complete with the Brooks is a A-hole for decades and the city is very far from a Utopia built off of the OC wealth.

The ‘how’ you are attempting to solve this problem is a large disservice to the actual issue in my opinion. “Regionalism” will never arrive by finger pointing and blaming the neighbors. That fact has been proven well, over time, around here.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-01-18 at 08:48 PM.

Let's be clear - the FEDERAL government came to Oakland County's aid.
    All of America paid to help out poor little LBrooksP huge sewer issue.
    The USA House of Representatives Document # 91-431
    via Chief Engineer of the United States Army Corps of Engineering.
    USA Federal Flood Control Act of 1970.

The citizens of Oakland County never really paid their fair share of sewer costs,
    and continue to this day , apathetically and willingly, to push their problem on others

The Southeast Michigan Council of Governments reported that "60%-70% of the existing sewer system was built before 1970, which means it is at the end [[or beyond) its useful life."Fixing and even maintaining the system is costly, with SEMCOG estimating in 2001 - that an extra $14 billion to $26 billion
    would be needed by 2030.

It's almost 2020 and Oakland needs to evolve in the CSO game
    Many would be all too happy to lock down the borders of Oakland,
    and let them stew in their own sewage, say Cass or Orchard Lake.
    They have large lakes, let them USE THEM for sewage overflow.

http://semcog.org/Water#3490405-regional-policies
    Last edited by O3H; June-02-18 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Metro Beach is CLOSED
    Metro Beach is disgusting and I would never advise any loved one to swim Lake St. Clair.

That lake is useless except for boating. It's a giant retention pond.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Many would be all too happy to lock down the borders of Oakland,
    and let them stew in their own sewage, say Cass or Orchard Lake.
    They have large lakes, let them USE THEM for sewage overflow.
    Well, there are the laws of Physics. Elevations, the whole 8.34 pounds thing...For some reason I think I’m wasting my time with anything that resembles logic here.

14-26 Billion 2001 dollars? Oakland County will pay that all by themselves?

Good Luck on your dream. Your going to need it.

Here in the real world it’s more likely that aliens are going to land here on earth and wave their magic hand then the problem will go away than your ideas for the fixes.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-02-18 at 12:23 PM.

Meanwhile, the Swiss Nestle [[Ice Mountain) vampire continues to have its fangs stuck in Michigan's jugular vein and it's starting to suck even more than before:

Residents outraged by new water deal allowing Nestle to pump millions of gallons from Michigan

Nestle pays $200 per year to pump 1.1 million gallons of water each day....

Right now, in a small northern Michigan county, Nestle Water, a Swiss-based company, is pumping out hundreds of gallons of water every minute from a well. The water is bottled and sold for profit. The state charges Nestle $200 per year....

Before officials with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality made the final decision on the deal, they allowed public comment, and more than 80,000 Michigan residents said it was a bad deal. Only 70 people supported moving forward with the deal....

"Nestle, for instance, has increased their permit from 150 million gallons daily to 250 million gallons, and now 400 million gallons," Shelby Township Rep. Peter Lucido said. "When's it going to stop?"
    There's no way things this absurd happen for this long without somebody being bribed. Who is it?

Feel free to see The Detroit Free Press / News articles, SEMCOG and the American Society of Civil Engineers articles if you think $ BILLIONs of dollars is a stretch for this region of Michigan.

Yes , Oakland County residents need to pay - NOT everyone else.
    They've gotten away, free and clear, for almost 50 years now.

From LBrooksP himself - his speech - back in 1998
    [[read all the way to the bottom, see those dates)
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....408244218.jpeg

Notice the sewage doesn't go thru Oakland - it gets routed thru WARREN
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....and-sewage.png
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....terceptors.png

Notice what was protected - Birmingham, Bloomfield, Country Club, etc.
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....and-county.jpg

Oakland never built a WWTP, in the past 100 years for 12Towns
    https://redrundrain.files.wordpress....age-system.jpg

As for physics - yes, pumps overcome elevations - every day

Anyone remember the Pontiac fiasco ??????????
    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gener...r-sewer-system

Eyes wide open, no dreams, hard facts
    Last edited by O3H; June-02-18 at 02:44 PM.

Does anyone remember "The Blob" [[of dry cleaning solvent) in the St. Clair River? Supposedly, it's gone, but chemicals remain in the silt, which can't be doing the waterways downstream any good.

https://www.thetimesherald.com/story...gone/14820687/

Things like this make me say to climate change activists: "Yeah, but what about pollution?" To me it's much more important.

Of course it's polluted by suburbanites!!!

DWSD and GLWA play a large role in the combined sewage overflow [[CSO)

Nice to see Candice Miller taking an active role in getting drains cleared of debris, going after the nonsense of "flushable wipes" , and spending money on improvements. ALL wipes, each and every single one, belong in the TRASH, not the toilet. It's a marketing myth, an evil one, jamming up pumps all across the country.

Last edited by O3H; May-09-19 at 08:49 AM.

^ Ah yes... the problem with "unflushable flushables"... a world-wide dilemma...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-sewer-strife/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast