Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Salaries At General Motors

Does anyone have the ballpark salary ranges for direct hires at General Motors in Warren?

I have 2 1/2 years experience as a contractor and am looking at a 6B/6C position within the same organization.

Here is the definitions the company use to define the pay levels and grades.

Name:  image001.png
Views: 19884
Size:  96.0 KB

My niece's husband was hired in at $50,000., a few years ago with a counseling degree! Not sure what position it was but didn't stay with G.M., maybe 6 months. Ended up in a crummy school district, obviously, with a lower pay scale. Dumb move.

I worked as a contractor at GM.

These are ballpark numbers, as they may have adjusted the numberes slightly since I left, but the range for a level 6 goes from around $55K to $70K.

They're going to ask you for your desired salary during the phone screen. So shoot for the moon [[within reason). If they really want you, they won't low ball you.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-29-18 at 09:25 PM.

There are also grades for salaried senior management above the ones shown on the chart. GM people refer to it as "unclassified." Making the jump from Level 9 to "unclassified" is like becoming a Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    There are also grades for salaried senior management above the ones shown on the chart. GM people refer to it as "unclassified." Making the jump from Level 9 to "unclassified" is like becoming a Jedi.
    This is true. You get to "Unclassified", you have arrived.

Even level 8s have it pretty good. You get a company car and the starting salary is well into the six figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This is true. You get to "Unclassified", you have arrived.
    Do you know if GM still has an executive dining room at the Tech Center for the unclassifieds?

A lot of it depends on your role. One good resource is Glassdoor. They break salaries down by position, and have extensive listings for GM.

Be a tradesperson at GM. You'll make a lot more, with a ton of OT if you want it. Better benefits too. Better yet, do that at Fords instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I worked as a contractor at GM.

These are ballpark numbers, as they may have adjusted the numberes slightly since I left, but the range for a level 6 goes from around $55K to $70K.

They're going to ask you for your desired salary during the phone screen. So shoot for the moon [[within reason). If they really want you, they won't low ball you.
    Very good information. How long ago did you convert from contractor to direct? Also, if it's not too much information what role?

I've been contacted by a recruiter, but seems that we are play cat and mouse phone tag. I am assuming this is the phone screen that you mentioned since applications closed a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    My niece's husband was hired in at $50,000., a few years ago with a counseling degree! Not sure what position it was but didn't stay with G.M., maybe 6 months. Ended up in a crummy school district, obviously, with a lower pay scale. Dumb move.
    I am assuming your niece husband left on his own after 6 months. I've heard that once a direct employee you're usually there for a long time unless you voluntarily leave or do something absolutely stupid. To be honest i'm surprised that he was able to get so far in GM with a counseling degree.

Everyone wants to become a Jedi!

At least that is my end goal.

Do you know if GM still has an executive dining room at the Tech Center for the unclassifieds?
    There has been TONS of renovations at the Tech Center over the past year. They are switching to open seat google-type enviroement. I haven't seen an executive dining room, but there is a new executive suit area on the 2nd level.

What roles are considered unclassified positions?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Be a tradesperson at GM. You'll make a lot more, with a ton of OT if you want it. Better benefits too. Better yet, do that at Fords instead.
    I'll pass on the Ford suggestion, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    A lot of it depends on your role. One good resource is Glassdoor. They break salaries down by position, and have extensive listings for GM.
    I actually looked on Glassdoor before posting here. The exact position or area I am interesed in is not mentioned. However, when looking at other positions that are listed as grade 6 in the same job function area the range is $85,000 - 100,000. For some reason I don't believe these numbers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonano View Post
    I am assuming your niece husband left on his own after 6 months. I've heard that once a direct employee you're usually there for a long time unless you voluntarily leave or do something absolutely stupid. To be honest i'm surprised that he was able to get so far in GM with a counseling degree.
    Yes he left on his own. Apparently, he knew someone that worked there and was able to get him in. Like I said, it was a dumb move.

Very good information. How long ago did you convert from contractor to direct? Also, if it's not too much information what role?

I've been contacted by a recruiter, but seems that we are play cat and mouse phone tag. I am assuming this is the phone screen that you mentioned since applications closed a few days ago.
    Unfortunately, the stars didn't align for me to become direct. I've since moved on.

That said, I did go through the face-to-face interview process twice. They're going to ask you a list of behavioral questions based on the STAR method [[Situation, Task, Action, Results). I think there's about 8 of them or so. So be sure to have a good 4-6 detailed stories on hand related to your job experience

I was in engineering support.

Well, I had a talk with a recruiter today and IÂ’ve been invited to take two assessment test.

Well, I had a talk with a recruiter today and IÂ’ve been invited to take two assessment test.
    Good luck!

Good Luck! Make DY proud! [[I wonder if one of the assessment will be driving a ZR-1 pace car ability?)
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-04-18 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good Luck! Make DY proud! [[I wonder if one of the assessment will be driving a ZR-1 pace car ability?)
    No, that's only for executive interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hahaha I will be laughing about Sunday for a long while, but on a serious note i'm thankful noone was injured. I had minor injuries in a motor vehicle accident a few ago and I havn't been the same since. Even though my damage is minor I wouldn't wish what happen on my worse enemy.

Thanks everyone!

Hahaha I will be laughing about Sunday for a long while, but on a serious note i'm thankful noone was injured. I had minor injuries in a motor vehicle accident a few ago and I havn't been the same since. Even though my damage is minor I wouldn't wish what happen on my worse enemy.

I wonder does that executive, have to pay to get that $90,000+ ZR1 Corvette fixed? Deductions out of his paycheck? Or does he get off with no repercussions?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-06-18 at 12:08 PM.

Entry level engineers should be around 75k

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast