Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Wi-fi Extender

Default Wi-fi Extender

The last two month's, I've just about ran out of data on our cell phone account. It was suggested that an extender would help. I have a two story home and the router is in the basement ceiling and of course, the dead spots are on the second floor. Any suggestions on a reasonable brand to look into? Also, is it just a matter of plugging it in? Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Last edited by Maof; May-28-18 at 07:34 PM.

Google wifi extenders, then review, REVIEW a few of the offerings. CNET is great for tech reviews. Make sure the extender works with your router!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    The last two month's, I've just about ran out of data on our cell phone account. It was suggested that an extender would help. I have a two story home and the router is in the basement ceiling and of course, the dead spots are on the second floor. Any suggestions on a reasonable brand to look into? Also, is it just a matter of plugging it in? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Are you using your phone as a hot spot?

The Wirecutter usually has good suggestions:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-extender/

the router is in the basement ceiling and of course, the dead spots are on the second floor.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    First step is to move that to at least the main floor in a central location.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    First step is to move that to at least the main floor in a central location.
    No can do. That's where the line is coming in. We have your standard AT&T cable. Come to think of it, when we were with Comcast, it was on the main floor [[could have been a wireless one?) Got tired of calling them once a month with all kinds of issues and switched back to AT&T.
    Last edited by Maof; May-29-18 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Google wifi extenders, then review, REVIEW a few of the offerings. CNET is great for tech reviews. Make sure the extender works with your router!
    I have and ended up talking with AT&T last night. He suggested Netgear and another brand I never heard of. I thought someone here might be using one and could lead me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The Wirecutter usually has good suggestions:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-extender/
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you using your phone as a hot spot?
    I just looked on my phone and it says it's off. I guess that may help. Thanks!

Are you saying that you ran out of data because your wireless isn't covering so your phone is using data instead of accessing the wireless? If so, yes an extender will help. You will have to plug it in near the current router, let it get an IP address and then take it and plug it in where you want it. I like Linksys and Netgear.

Are you using a combo modem/router from ATT? If so, see if you can get a modem from them and buy your own router and run a network cable from the modem in the basement to a router on your main floor. My cable comes into the basement so I found a hole where someone had run a line before and put a long drop through to the upstairs. I have a couple of 50' network cables running across the basement ceiling to connect my bedrooms to the router in the living room. I love my Netgear Nighthawk for router. https://www.netgear.com/home/product...ers/R7000.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Are you saying that you ran out of data because your wireless isn't covering so your phone is using data instead of accessing the wireless? If so, yes an extender will help. You will have to plug it in near the current router, let it get an IP address and then take it and plug it in where you want it. I like Linksys and Netgear.
    Yes. Completely goes out on the second floor. I had to call verizon last night to get me thru the next 15 days! pissed!

On your second post, I'll take a look and ask hubby. There's all types of cable, wires, etc. and he would know more than I would.

No can do. That's where the line is coming in. We have your standard AT&T cable.
    I would extend that cable upstairs somewhere. Either telephone wire or Coax are fairly easy to extend for anyone that's even mildly handy.

If you only have one "box" in the basement, it's probably a combo modem/router. The caveat using a separate modem and router is if you have telephone service bundled with your cable/internet. Then you HAVE to keep their combo box. If no phone, you can even buy your own router AND modem and not have to pay them monthly lease payments. It's an outlay to begin with but I find the quality of the equipment to be better than what ISPs give you. I also prefer to be able to have control over my router, but that's just me.

Do you have your television cable service with ATT? If so there must be a coax running upstairs to the TV set top box; you might be able to follow that line upstairs and place your router near that

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Do you have your television cable service with ATT? If so there must be a coax running upstairs to the TV set top box; you might be able to follow that line upstairs and place your router near that
    Cable and internet. No landline. Regarding buying my own modem and router, any suggestions as to what brand? I'm going to PM you if you don't mind.

Cable and internet. No landline. Regarding buying my own modem and router, any suggestions as to what brand? I'm going to PM you if you don't mind.
    You can PM me if you like. As I said, I like my Nighthawk R8000 router and I have a Netgear CM1000 Modem. But I have Comcast Xfinity. You'll need to check with ATT to see what they recommend for their system. It should be somewhere on their website or just call them.

Also, do you have high speed cable or DSL internet. I know ATT uses DSL in a lot of places.

I just looked on my phone and it says it's off. I guess that may help. Thanks!

If you turn the Hot Spot on, it'll extend the range quite a bit.... Meddle does have a point, add a charger and locate it centrally in your home. I don't know what kind of plan you have, but make sure you turn it off when you're done, so you're not burning up minutes just walking around.

You can also keep using your existing modem/router as just a modem by deactivating its wi-fi and daisy chaining your own router. Then AT&T will have no excuse to say it's your equipment's fault the next time you have an outage. In my experience that's been every ISP's first excuse to avoid helping.

Only trouble will be getting AT&T to tell you how to administer the modem/router they're leasing you, if they haven't already provided that information. You'll need to log in to their router to deactivate the wi-fi.

You can also allow your AT&T box to keep sending a wi-fi signal. You'll have two wi-fi networks, and can ignore the old one. But like jcole I insist on administering my own network. There are endless examples of ISPs installing routers with bad security. Don't leave that door open if you don't have to.
    Last edited by bust; May-31-18 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    You can also keep using your existing modem/router as just a modem by deactivating its wi-fi and daisy chaining your own router. Then AT&T will have no excuse to say it's your equipment's fault the next time you have an outage. In my experience that's been every ISP's first excuse to avoid helping.

Only trouble will be getting AT&T to tell you how to administer the modem/router they're leasing you, if they haven't already provided that information. You'll need to log in to their router to deactivate the wi-fi.

You can also allow your AT&T box to keep sending a wi-fi signal. You'll have two wi-fi networks, and can ignore the old one. But like jcole I insist on administering my own network. There are endless examples of ISPs installing routers with bad security. Don't leave that door open if you don't have to.
    I'll be going with the extender for the time being. Called AT&T and they gave me a line of b.s. regarding the router. I was fed-up with them after about 10 min.
    Last edited by Maof; June-01-18 at 06:11 AM.

Make sure to test the extender on your TV if you're streaming [[Roku, Apple or whatever device) as streaming seems to take more power than using a laptop via WIFI from my experience.