Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S.S. Columbia Project Fundraiser

My mother works with this charity and asked me to post it here:

http://74.220.215.216/~sscolumb/wordpress/

The non-profit SS Columbia Project [[ SSCP) is dedicated to restoring and operating America’s oldest surviving passenger steamer, the National Historic Landmark Vessel SS Columbia.

Please join us for our first official fundraising event !: A fun and festive cruise on the Detroit River on board the M.V. Friendship. We will serve complimentary pizza delivered by the J.W. Westcott mailboat and a cash bar will be available. During the 3 hour cruise we will be able to view both the Columbia and the Ste. Claire.

When: Saturday Sept. 19 2009 2 - 5 pm [[ please be prepared to board by 1:30)

Where: departure from the dock behind the Portofino Italian Restaurant, 3455 Biddle Avenue, Wyandotte

Price: donation of $ 30 [[U.S.) per person

S.S.Columbia last spring at Nick's.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; September-16-09 at 11:55 PM.

Attachment 2886

Looks like someplace Jonny Quest would find trouble brewing...

Retroit Guest

They're taking it to New York?!

The raping of Detroit continues.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    They're taking it to New York?!

The raping of Detroit continues.
    I would rather see it stay here. Exactly, Retroit.

Retroit Guest

Maybe we could hold a fundraiser in New York to move the Statue of Libety to Detroit.

maybe I would consider donating if it was staying in Detroit.
    take it to New York and have them fund this.

I would rather see her stay in Detroit too, but at least she's being restored. This brings a chance that a few years down the road she could return to Detroit. Without this restoration at this time the chance would quickly be lost, and the SS Columbia would be gone forever.

Sorry... let the New Yorkers pay for this one... "if she ain't stayin'... we ain't payin'... "

We've got enough cash flow problems caused by New Yorkers... I'm actually appalled that folks want us to fork over money on this venture...

It'd be like payin' for the Delphine.... fat chance that she'll ever be back either.... ditto for the Landsdowne... if it's still around...

I like Retroit's idea [[#6).

I think the Lansdowne is sitting rotting in Erie, PA. The Aquarama, I believe is sitting in Buffalo doing the same. Tiger Stadium is gone, the Belle Isle Aquarium is as good as gone. Can Detroit and the metropolitan area hold on to, and preserve, anything?

If I was going to donate money toward a Bob-lo boat, it would be the Ste. Claire. She's owned by a Detroit area surgeon and you can see preservation efforts taking place. There is also a dedicated group of volunteers working on it and it's staying right here as far as I know.

I will add the comment that a ride on the Friendship is always fun. $30 for 3 hours including pizza is not a bad deal and the crew is a alot of fun. So regardless of the money going towards a "New York" project, the boatride alone is worth the $30.....

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    If I was going to donate money toward a Bob-lo boat, it would be the Ste. Claire. She's owned by a Detroit area surgeon and you can see preservation efforts taking place. There is also a dedicated group of volunteers working on it and it's staying right here as far as I know.
    Thanks for cheering me up BillyBBrew... for some reason I got the 2 boats confused... I thought the other one was the surgeons boat, and it didn't pan out. Now the Ste. Claire is a boat I could contribute to.... not that I wish the Columbia anything bad... it's just that with the scarceness of contributions [[see State Fair thead) in Michigan these days... I'd more than want to contribute to something that I could easily enjoy from time to time...

Jtf1972... tell your mother she's on the wrong boat!!!

Gistok, ditto your post #14. I get them mixed up also. Thanks BillyBBrew. Your legendary drinking antics are only exceeded by your vast knowledge of shipping and the seas. Or maybe it's tugboats and the rivers.

Oh boy, don't get started on the drinking stories, those days are pretty far in the past.....btw. The Landsdowne was scrapped at Erie, and the Aquarama [[Marine Star) was towed overseas to India and scrapped as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I think the Lansdowne is sitting rotting in Erie, PA. The Aquarama, I believe is sitting in Buffalo doing the same. Tiger Stadium is gone, the Belle Isle Aquarium is as good as gone. Can Detroit and the metropolitan area hold on to, and preserve, anything?
    Preserved in the last 20 years.....

Greenfield Village
    Fox Theatre
    State Theatre
    Orchestra Hall
    Westin Book Cadillac
    Stroh's River Place
    St. John's Seminary
    Ford Rouge [[sort of)

Our biggest hurdle is that all restorations need to be tied with economic development. Thats a tough nut to crack in an area with declining population and job base. With every manufacturing job that leaves, it takes two jobs with it.

Combine Boblo with having to compete with Cedar Point and the fact that nearly all small amusement parks are now extinct and you begin to realize why the boats were mothballed in the firstplace.

Our biggest hurdle is that all restorations need to be tied with economic development. Thats a tough nut to crack in an area with declining population and job base. With every manufacturing job that leaves, it takes two jobs with it.
    So my wife and I were discussing where we will move after our youngest gets out of school some years from now because we don't see anybody outside of Brooks with an understanding of what business's are looking for. The state doesn't have to continue to lose jobs if they would just enact business friendly policies. Of course, there is no sign that this will happen.

Bing, Bobb and Evans all seem promising but we have gotten to a point of realization. I hope they are successful...I won't bet on it.

Thanks BillyBBrew, shows how up to date I am. Got to start hanging out on the waterfront more often. Maybe I'll get my ship passages correct.

DP, that's a pretty shaky list to present as 'preserved'. Greenfield Village? St. John's Seminary? I accept your argument about economic development but your list is ?????????

The SS Columbia fundraiser web page is rather misleading. On the page regarding "Current condition" [[http://74.220.215.216/~sscolumb/wordpress/?page_id=40) it shows a photo of the ship tightly shrinkwrapped and states "The shrink-wrap has suffered some minor failures but is basically intact." That's hardly the case. Do the out of state donors really know what they are getting into?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    DP, that's a pretty shaky list to present as 'preserved'. Greenfield Village? St. John's Seminary? I accept your argument about economic development but your list is ?????????
    Funny I was thinking that the most shaky on the list was the Rouge Plant.

Greenfield Village and St. Johns are tied to economic development. St. Johns has found new life as a place to hold small conferences or weddings. Greenfield Village a few years ago upgraded the infrastructure. Part of that upgrade was to put in place many key things that would make the place more profitable [[Model T Rides, Pavillions for weddings or small meetings, beer halls).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Jtf1972... tell your mother she's on the wrong boat!!!
    She actually volunteers for both!

And Friends of Belle Isle, and...

A few pics I took at TriCentennial Park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast