-- a glitch - a speed bump -

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8M vehicles

Fiat Chrysler recalled 4.8 million vehicles over a potential defect
    that could prevent a driver from canceling cruise control
    under normal circumstances, CNBC says.
    The carmaker warned drivers of 14 Jeep, Ram, Chrysler and Dodge
    models built from 2014 to 2018 not to use the feature unless
    vehicles have been inspected.
    The recall is one of the biggest ever in the U.S.

Yup. this has been a problem for some time.. I had numerous box Cherokees over the years in which the cruise control could not be cancelled.. My experience was with the 90s model XJs.

...In the complaint filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an owner from Olathe, Kansas, said a 2017 Dodge Journey SUV rental vehicle was being driven about 70 miles per hour with the cruise control on when the windshield wipers came on by themselves and the throttle locked up.

The owner, who was not identified in the agency's complaint database, wrote that the cruise control would not disengage by tapping the brakes or turning off the button. The driver was able to slam on the brakes and get the SUV to the side of the road. "It was still running at an engine speed to support 70 mph and fighting the brakes," the driver wrote.

The engine stop button also wouldn't work, but the driver was able halt the SUV and shift into park while the brakes "smoked significantly."...
    Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rol/643982002/

They do not come with a neutral position anymore?

I'd never own a Chrysler, Dodge, or Fiat admixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'd never own a Chrysler, Dodge, or Fiat admixture.
    I wouldn't either. Last one I had, gave us problems the second we pulled out of the dealership.

And in other news, the sun rises in the east...

And in Continual News from the Big 3 - they make some dangerous shit !!!

Stuff that almost gets people killed - repeatedly - in the name of profit.

Could use a whole lot more testing and slow that roll to market.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    So the people who design, test and build the cars, whom usually DRIVE them, too - you don't think those people care about making safe cars? You don't think they do everything they can to make sure the cars they drive their families around in aren't as safe as they can make them?

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    And in Continual News from the Big 3 - they make some dangerous shit !!!

Could use a whole lot more testing and slow that roll to market.

Is Toyota with it's accelerator problem one of the "Big 3"? How about that little emissions lie Volkswagen released on the public? Or Honda's fire-starter recall?

I know there is a lot of pressure to release a vehicle,
    often at a tight accelerated pace, and things don't go perfect everyday.
    Big 3 and little 7, etc. Some mistakes are much riskier than others.
    I've participated in Vehicle Line Executive meetings, I have a "clue".

Yeah I thought about that. I've owned three used Toyota's and never had that problem. Just rust due to their age......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is Toyota with it's accelerator problem one of the "Big 3"? How about that little emissions lie Volkswagen released on the public? Or Honda's fire-starter recall?

Not to mention the drama of owning a Dodge ala high theft, car jackings, etc. Dodges often come up in such scenerios. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I wouldn't either. Last one I had, gave us problems the second we pulled out of the dealership.

I had a life long family affiliation with Chevrolet engineering, and am now a semi-proud owner of my first and LAST Chrysler product during fifty years of driving.
    That said, I had a Buick take off on me on the freeway with cruise control.
    Scared the living crap out of me. Swerving around cars with no braking.
    I guess it's only going to get worse, with all the computer mumbo-jumbo going on without you're knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not to mention the drama of owning a Dodge ala high theft, car jackings, etc. Dodges often come up in such scenerios. Not for me.
    They've soared in popularity recently due to the Challenger and Charger. If both are equipped with those high performance Hemi engines, they are very popular with thieves, to strip for the engine and other parts.

^^^ Yeah like driving with a target symbol on your trunk! Alot of reckless driving in them too per news reports. What must the insurance be on those!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I had a life long family affiliation with Chevrolet engineering, and am now a semi-proud owner of my first and LAST Chrysler product during fifty years of driving.
    That said, I had a Buick take off on me on the freeway with cruise control.
    Scared the living crap out of me. Swerving around cars with no braking.
    I guess it's only going to get worse, with all the computer mumbo-jumbo going on without you're knowledge.
    You're right. You can't win. I always bought and defended the Big 3 to my friends but it's not easy. I finally gave up on GM when my G6 lost its power steering two weeks after I was refused a free fix on it. I bought a loaded Fusion but the electronic transmission hesitates every time you pull away from a stop or go slow around a corner. Drives me nuts!

^^^ Yeah, I am still purchasing cars at the vintage level [[smile) ten years plus old. Who knows what new computerization snaffus are pending with the new cars......!

^^^ I can't get over the sputter-sput, tinker mobile nature of that 1980 red Fiat I drove! Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I bought a loaded Fusion but the electronic transmission hesitates every time you pull away from a stop or go slow around a corner. Drives me nuts!
    I owned a Honda Prelude once that did the same thing. It went all the way up Honda's chain of command. Finally a factory rep from Marysville OH called me and we arranged that he would use my car to make his rounds around Detroit. @ the end of the day, he returned my car to the dealership, called me and that yes, it does hesitate on acceleration, and stalls around corners, "but they were designed to do that..." Never bought another Honda.

^^^ Yeah, I've never trusted an auto tranny on a Honda old school, so no telling what is going on now. Though I did drive a few 'stick' Hondas and hd no trouble with the clutch etc.

FIAT makes some great stuff - they just need to tighten up on things.

https://www.fiatusa.com/abarth-spider.html

It has twin intercoolers, 16 valves, a fresh-air induction system capable of
    achieving peak power/torque and lower RPMs than just about vehicle in its class
    Last edited by O3H; May-28-18 at 02:40 PM.

You picked a 10 year old technology everyone has now. Most other companies call it variable valve timing. How do you think all the OEMs get such huge horsepower and torque while still meeting fuel economy numbers. Chrysler had it in the 300 before they merged with fiat.

Fiat has some of the worst quality in the industry.

Amazing that FCA took off like a rocket with sales, manufacturing, etc. the past few years when their quality was not exactly stellar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast