Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The plan has been scrapped due to a disagreement over the lease terms.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oit-riverfront
    Planet Fitness spokeswoman Mary Scott said plans fell through a couple months ago when the property owner tried to renegotiate terms of the lease after it was already signed.

"After the lease was signed for the riverfront location, the landlord wanted to change the terms of the agreement," Scott said in an email.
    classy move dumb*ss

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    classy move dumb*ss
    l don't have any insight into what happened, but I have to point out that we've only heard one side of the story.

The only affordable fitness center that would had been in he downtown area to date.It is a franchised center. Not a locally owned named fitness center that are in the downtown area it would had been a threat to the others that are in the area including the one in the RenCen. Someone had probably gotten to the owner or management company of the building to discourage Panet Fitness from wanting to open downtown or near it. I could see Planet Fitness opening either in Midtown inside one of the newly renovated buildings along Woodward or in the Jefferson and Chene strip mall where Luckys Bar and grill once were.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The only affordable fitness center that would had been in he downtown area to date.It is a franchised center. Not a locally owned named fitness center that are in the downtown area it would had been a threat to the others that are in the area including the one in the RenCen. Someone had probably gotten to the owner or management company of the building to discourage Panet Fitness from wanting to open downtown or near it. I could see Planet Fitness opening either in Midtown inside one of the newly renovated buildings along Woodward or in the Jefferson and Chene strip mall where Luckys Bar and grill once were.
    That patch of land opposite the new school of business would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The plan has been scrapped due to a disagreement over the lease terms.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oit-riverfront
    Here's a quote from the article:

"Planet Fitness spokeswoman Mary Scott said plans fell through a couple months ago when the property owner tried to renegotiate terms of the lease after it was already signed. 'After the lease was signed for the riverfront location, the landlord wanted to change the terms of the agreement,' Scott said in an email. 'Although we were all disappointed it did not work out for this location, we are very much interested in being downtown and are continuing to look for space.'"

It seems unlikely a lease was "already signed." Landlords can't just back out after they have signed a lease. Especially with a publicly traded national company. Lawsuits generally result from that circumstance. The spokesman should just tell the truth and say that the deal fell through.

There's a Matrix Academy in that building. I wonder if the Academy had lease troubles with the landlord as well. I feel that national chain businesses are having a time opening in the city while the locally owned substitutes are given the least resistance in opening a business. Restoration Hardware sought interest in opening downtown but the deal didn't go through due to lack of space while Shinola is given a whole building to transform into a hotel. Tenants are paying over $1000 monthly in rent but finding themselves having to drive out of the city doesn't grocery shop, buy housewares, and to purchase furniture.

Hope they find some area downtown. I'm a PF member and while not perfect they do well for a basic gym. Even better if they have ample parking. The closest PF now in the D is 8 Mile/ Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    That patch of land opposite the new school of business would be perfect.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-15-18 at 09:48 AM.

The key word is "Basic gym". PF would had done great business anywhere near or in downtown. which is why they were shut out of the action downtown. National chained businesses will have trouble doing business in Detroit because there are certain elements in Detroit who would rather have substitutes retail who's products and services are higher priced and lower qualities. Remember the hope of Cheesecake Factory opening in Greektown? What was open instead; Cheesecake Bistro which stayed in business for only one year. Restoration Hardware was going to open downtown but needed more space. They also was still looking downtown to not avail

Have any of you tried FitnessWorks in New Center? Best gym in the CBD. Period.

^^^ I used to go to FWorks, and Powerhouse and Vic Tanny before that. I like the Planet Fitness has the enhanced membership allowing you to go to any PF. And the rate is very low.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-18 at 06:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2