Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Planet Fitness downtown?

What ever happened to the plane on opening a Planet Fitness on Woodbridge off the riverfront?

Good question! Website still says "coming soon"

Dir was to open this month. I hope that the city of Detroit isn't stalling this business from opening as well

The parking deck at the building where this was to be located collapsed a while ago. That may factor into the delay.

So after all of these years that the garage had been there it didn't have a collapse until Planet Fitness, which would had been the cheapest fitness center dowmto, decided to set up shop there. Sounds suspect to me

Yeah I heard there was a PF coming to the Jefferson/ Chene area?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-18 at 06:45 PM.

It appear to me that national chain businesses have troubles and mishaps while trying to do business in the city while cities across the country welcome these businesses with open arms

The one PF in Detroit [[on Eight mile next to the Meijers) closes early at 7PM on the weekends... very annoying......

Detroit needs a premium Gym like LA Fitness [[Signature) or Lifetime. I would suggest either Hudson, Monroe or that OOMBRA development in Brush Park.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Detroit needs a premium Gym like LA Fitness [[Signature) or Lifetime. I would suggest either Hudson, Monroe or that OOMBRA development in Brush Park.
    You need to check out the Original Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park/Detroit. That's as real a gym as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by zeromillincrease View Post
    You need to check out the Original Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park/Detroit. That's as real a gym as it gets.
    I've only driven past it and it looks as dumpy as it gets

There's always the DAC. Not sure how long the waiting list is.

Powerhouse in HP is rough, but still has some loyals. I used to go there years ago and it was cool to see the champion level folks lift there.

Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-18 at 06:46 PM.

Detroit has three expensive fitness centers downtown that are not crowded. Planet Fitness were about to take away the completions customer base by having low membership prices. Were Planet Fitness steered to the location near the Riverfront or did the reps chosen that spot hoping to open within a few months after the announcement not knowing that a possible impending structure collapse was due to happen. Was this place going to be in Woodbridge? I only see some type of center sign in the window of a one story white building with dark Windows

I don't think the decision was that elaborate, I think it was an affordable and available location that is near a residential area and right by downtown, and right along the riverwalk and dequindre cut where many people already do their exercising routines.

If you're looking for Lifetime, no it won't be for you. It won't pass a white glove test, but it's also got a minimum of the elliptical crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't think the decision was that elaborate, I think it was an affordable and available location that is near a residential area and right by downtown, and right along the riverwalk and dequindre cut where many people already do their exercising routines.
    There are a few empty buildings along that area . I know the convenience of being inside a parking structure but you would think that the structure would had been inspected yearly by the city to make sure all levels are structurally sound. That's the first time a structure had a collapse. Whoever own the structure

Pulse Fitness downtown is pretty premium. Might not be quite Lifetime fitness but definitely as nice or nicer than an LA fitness IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There are a few empty buildings along that area . I know the convenience of being inside a parking structure but you would think that the structure would had been inspected yearly by the city to make sure all levels are structurally sound. That's the first time a structure had a collapse. Whoever own the structure
    That's what you would think, but it wasn't [[and I'm not sure if it even qualifies as a parking garage that would need inspection), and from what I've heard after the incident the city has been scrambling to properly inspect garages. But I can see why this one wouldn't, since it's not really a real parking garage. It's a surface lot, but the lot is on a slope, so the high half is leveled off with a concrete retaining wall. But a small section of the top part overhangs, and that's what fell down.

So when is the opening of PF

^^^ I asked when at the PF I frequent [[Eight Mile and Woodward) and they had no info. It would be convenient as alternate PF to go to, especially if they have their own parking lot.

It was supposed to had opened in May

May of what year?

This year supposedly

The plan has been scrapped due to a disagreement over the lease terms.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oit-riverfront

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast