Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

1. Default Coleman Young turns 100: Some of his wildest quotes

The legend lives on on this his 100th birthdate. Love'm or hate'm he was colorful and crusty.

Sampling from today's Freep:
    Coleman A. Young-isms:

Warning: Explicit language.

On dreams:
    "And we have to reach high. Maybe get knocked on our ass. And then get up and reach again."

On looking out for Number One:
    "I never looked upon myself as a do-gooder because a do-gooder is someone who, out of a sense of noblesse oblige or some kind of shit like that, that reaches up and pulls some poor benighted sonofabitch and does good for him. What I've done is in my own self-interest. It serves to validate my own personal sense of worth and dignity as a black person, as a poor person, a person of working class origins."

On whether Gov. James Blanchard might grow in office, as former Gov. William Milliken did [[1986)
    "You don't grow balls. Either you got 'em or you don't."

My favorite is from his Hawaiian trip: "Aloha, motherfuckers."

Coleman had some great "One Liners" I must admit. My parents always got a kick out of him. He was a colorful guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Coleman had some great "One Liners" I must admit. My parents always got a kick out of him. He was a colorful guy.
    Hit 8 Mile!

Someday I gotta get his 'little red book'. He was a motherf***er, and did so much to destroy the future for black Detroiters, but he had some 'admirable' qualities as a politician. In some ways, he was an early Trump. Said a lot of sh**. Talked trash. Angered his opponents. Maybe Trump was watching and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Someday I gotta get his 'little red book'. He was a motherf***er, and did so much to destroy the future for black Detroiters, but he had some 'admirable' qualities as a politician. In some ways, he was an early Trump. Said a lot of sh**. Talked trash. Angered his opponents. Maybe Trump was watching and learning.
    Yeah, Coleman was as Trump as Trump gets. If he were still alive, the orange one would hire him as his Secretary of Propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    Yeah, Coleman was as Trump as Trump gets. If he were still alive, the orange one would hire him as his Secretary of Propaganda.
    Or perhaps President Young and Sec'y of Propaganda Trump!

Mayor Young did say a lot of memorable things, good and bad and often very colorful, but he was a much more nuanced person and politician than the stereotypical, cartoonish image that people had [[and apparently still have) of him. He deeply understood the fears and troubles of African American Detroiters, and worked very hard to try to make Detroit a better and friendlier place for them. His relationship with various companies and other entities was largely borne of the reality of the various crises confronting Detroit during his 20-year reign. I had the honor of meeting him, and it was quite an honor.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Mayor Young did say a lot of memorable things, good and bad and often very colorful, but he was a much more nuanced person and politician than the stereotypical, cartoonish image that people had [[and apparently still have) of him. He deeply understood the fears and troubles of African American Detroiters, and worked very hard to try to make Detroit a better and friendlier place for them. His relationship with various companies and other entities was largely borne of the reality of the various crises confronting Detroit during his 20-year reign. I had the honor of meeting him, and it was quite an honor.
    I respect Coleman's goals -- even though they took a hard toll on white family members who worked for the City at that time.

And I like Coleman a lot. He did address racism in DPD. Kept GM manufacturing in the City. Built JLA and kept the Red Wings from moving to Pontiac. And like Trump, he was a jolt to the status quo.

But also like Trump, he built walls. Trump is distancing us from trading partners like Canada, China, and Mexico. Young distanced us from the suburbs, white people, and the small businesses that made Detroit work -- thinking that this would translate into a boost for black Detroiters. I get the idea. But he was wrong. Young should have built more bridges, and fewer walls. I think Trump would be wise to look at the legacy of destruction the followed young, and recalibrate his path.

Maybe I'm taking the analogy too far. But It had never before occurred to me how much they have in common [[of course each for different tribes). True leaders transcend their personal histories and biases.

Sliding elsewhere north, Trudeau today deserves credit for doing that on Trans Mountain pipeline. He has ruled for big oil Canada over the Environmental Tribe. Trudeau has been much too tribal for my taste, but I want to celebrate his leadership on this file. Solid, steady, principled. And non-tribal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I respect Coleman's goals -- even though they took a hard toll on white family members who worked for the City at that time.

And I like Coleman a lot. He did address racism in DPD. Kept GM manufacturing in the City. Built JLA and kept the Red Wings from moving to Pontiac. And like Trump, he was a jolt to the status quo.

But also like Trump, he built walls. Trump is distancing us from trading partners like Canada, China, and Mexico. Young distanced us from the suburbs, white people, and the small businesses that made Detroit work -- thinking that this would translate into a boost for black Detroiters. I get the idea. But he was wrong. Young should have built more bridges, and fewer walls. I think Trump would be wise to look at the legacy of destruction the followed young, and recalibrate his path.

Maybe I'm taking the analogy too far. But It had never before occurred to me how much they have in common [[of course each for different tribes). True leaders transcend their personal histories and biases.
    Is that a good comparison.....Young to Trump? Young spent his political career trying to increase the inclusion of his people. Trump is spending his career trying to increase the exclusion of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Is that a good comparison.....Young to Trump? Young spent his political career trying to increase the inclusion of his people. Trump is spending his career trying to increase the exclusion of others.
    Totally agree, bravo !! Bad analogy Wesley.

My favorites...[[and probably paraphrasing a bit)

- "I don't even know what the f*ck a
    krugerrand
    is !"

- "You must have me confused with some kind of stool pigeon"

- "I didn't come here to see the head N....take me to the man !

- The Man....otherwise known as 'ole prune face'

A Democrat who believed in a balanced budget. I'd vote for that today.

He spoke at my WSU commencement and what a disappointment. I guess his handlers made him clean it up for public consumption, but still, a real snooze fest. The biggest round of applause he got was when he said tuition was too high. My parents gave him a standing O

His probably best quote:

“We must not let the doomsayers and the naysayers cause us to lose faith in our city, in ourselves and in each other. Much of the negative propaganda with which we are bombarded is calculated to disarm us. Without love and without hope there can be no future for anyone.”