Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Majestic Renovation

The Majestic Theatre is getting a major overhaul.

New facade, marquee, expanded interior theatre, box office and restored ceiling!

I wonder what the old marquee used to look like.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...medium=twitter

... you mean before the 1930's Woodward street widening that ripped off the Venetian front of the facade?

Or the Art Deco moderne facade that came afterwards?

The Majestic originally had a classical Pompeiian look to the auditorium, as seen during its' construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The Majestic's front makeover will include a marquee in the style of the 1935 sign that once graced the building, along with a limestone and black granite facade.
    I love the 1930's look.

Heh, the article linked to Gistok's DYes posting from 2008, and he's helping out here 10 years later. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Heh, the article linked to Gistok's DYes posting from 2008, and he's helping out here 10 years later. Nice job!
    HA! Didn't check out the link! Yup... I'm a DYES dinosaur... been around since 20,000 post ago [[circa 2000).

Wow, incredible photos. Thanks for sharing Gistok. I would guess the 1935 marquee is the kind they are planning to bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm a DYES dinosaur... been around since 20,000 post ago [[circa 2000).
    Yeah, you & me both, brother. Was around before the website conversion as eastsidedame. Those old posts were so interesting, so glad Lowell archived them.

By the way: 1) Did the Majestic ever receive National Landmark Status? 2) Are they going to re-introduce a bowling alley? 3) How many of you know the Majestic in Wyandotte is/was identical to the one on Woodward, only smaller?

Name:  Majestic Theater - Detroit_Free_Press_Thu__Jan_31__2008-2_.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  184.8 KB
    from the Detroit Free Press 1-31-2008

Designed by C. Howard Crane.
    1) An image of the Majestic Theater Building from Virtual Motor City Collection circa 1935.
    2) The Bennett & Straight designed Art Deco facade was installed in 1935.
    3) Majestic Theater Building 4140 Woodward Avenue built in 1915 Detroit, MI.
    An image of the Majestic Theatre from Cinema Treasures circa 1915.

The façade was replaced when Woodward Avenue was widened in the mid 1930's.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Does anyone know what the new facade is going to look like? I am surprised they are not restoring the 1935 facade.

It sounds like a basic renovation of the current [[art deco) facade. I wish it was a reconstruction of the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    It sounds like a basic renovation of the current [[art deco) facade. I wish it was a reconstruction of the old one.
    From the article:
    "Work has begun on a $1 million renovation of the 105-year-old Majestic Theatre complex, a project that will ultimately include a new art-deco facade"

and

"The Majestic's front makeover will include a marquee in the style of the 1935 sign that once graced the building, along with a limestone and black granite facade."

It doesn't just sound like a basic renovation of the current facade to me.

Ya know, I always liked their existing facade, and found it very unique and eye catching. I'd definitely support a push to put a marquee back on the building, but I'm uncertain that a whole new facade is warranted. I'll keep an open mind, since they are saying a "new, art deco facade," but I fear they will mess up a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    From the article:
    "Work has begun on a $1 million renovation of the 105-year-old Majestic Theatre complex, a project that will ultimately include a new art-deco facade"

and

"The Majestic's front makeover will include a marquee in the style of the 1935 sign that once graced the building, along with a limestone and black granite facade."

It doesn't just sound like a basic renovation of the current facade to me.
    $1 Million doesn't buy the original facade, new marquee, and interior renovations

it buys patch & repair facade, paint + carpet, marquee replica

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    $1 Million doesn't buy the original facade, new marquee, and interior renovations

it buys patch & repair facade, paint + carpet, marquee replica
    Exactly. We're not talking even about a total reconstruction of the existing facade, let alone a re-creation of the original facade. They are going to replace a few panels, slap on some paint, and the biggest change will be the addition of the marquee, which the picture shows wasn't anything special to begin with, especially relative to the old theaters down the street.

So what is going to be limestone and black granite then?

Sorry for the poor quality. I just snapped this on the drive to work this morning. The new marquee and exterior lighting really compliments this art deco beauty!

Name:  20191222_072901.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  65.2 KB

The marquee looks awesome. Terrific job.

It looks great on Woodward, especially at night,

Back in Post #2 of this thread from 2018, I show how the exterior of the Majestic Theatre looked before and after the 1930s Woodward Ave. widening.... we should give credit to the 1930s designers... that [[now restored) Moderne style facade looks really nice.

The 1915 Majestic Theatre was one of Detroit architect C. Howard Crane's earliest theatres. Of his original theatre little remains. The Auditorium was gutted, the lobby and facade were the casualty of the 1930s Woodward Widening.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-23-19 at 03:59 AM.

I hope they still plan on restoring the tiles on the facade. It doesn’t look like anything was done to them and it still looks horrible.