Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Grocery Store Redistributors

How come when you know you don't want something at the grocery store, you pick it up anyway, put it in your cart, ride it around the store, then just dump it in the checkout aisle? It's not a big deal when it is an item that can keep at room temperature, however, it is an issue when it is something that should be refrigerated.

Today I'm standing in the checkout aisle patiently waiting in line when I spot a package of hot dogs just sitting out on the candy display. I touch the package and it is as warm as a chair someone just sat in. All day long those hot dogs sat there spoiling, and for what? Why was that necessary? The person who put those hot dogs there knew they didn't want them, they could have just left them in the refrigerated section of the store.

My cousin used to always tell me there are employees at the store that are paid to put things back where they go. That's exactly what concerns me. Some store employee will come along, put those hot dogs back where they belong, and some unsuspecting customer will come along and buy them and get sick.

There is no way to tell if the food you're buying was sitting out at room temperature the day before you bought it. I just don't understand what satisfaction people get out of doing this. Maybe one of you could explain this phenomenon to me.

Okay, that's my rant for the day. See ya later, alligators!
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; May-21-18 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    How come when you know you don't want something at the grocery store, you pick it up anyway, put it in your cart, ride it around the store, then just dump it in the checkout aisle? It's not a big deal when it is an item that can keep at room temperature, however, it is an issue when it is something that should be refrigerated.

Today I'm standing in the checkout aisle patiently waiting in line when I spot a package of hot dogs just sitting out on the candy display. I touch the package and it is as warm as a chair someone just sat in. All day long those hot dogs sat there spoiling, and for what? Why was that necessary? The person who put those hot dogs there knew they didn't want them, they could have just left them in the refrigerated section of the store.

My cousin used to always tell me there are employees at the store that are paid to put things back where they go. That's exactly what concerns me. Some store employee will come along, put those hot dogs back where they belong, and some unsuspecting customer will come along and buy them and get sick.

There is no way to tell if the food you're buying was sitting out at room temperature the day before you bought it. I just don't understand what satisfaction people get out of doing this. Maybe one of you could explain this phenomenon to me.

You've just touched on one of my [[many) pet peeves. My parents always made me "put it back where you got it". I think it instilled a sense of responsibility in me. I've been shopping with people that just left things, like the hot dogs, anywhere, just like you found. And yes, their response was "they get paid to put things back". I don't know who's worse, the person that left it, or the clerk that put it back, possibly making someone ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    My rant for the day is people that quote entire posts.

After while crocodile.

Good points CP/ HT - food borne illnesses can kill. I try not to purchase cold items from the front of a given section of items. I pull from underneath as I know items less cold are on the first layer of cold foods, not to mention the lukewarm hotdogs [[the few times I eat them)......!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-22-18 at 07:12 AM.

If you see something like that, return it to the service desk.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If you see something like that, return it to the service desk.
    That or put it in the damn mini-fridge by the check-out where they have pop/drinks!

^^^ Unless it's a frozen item........!

That kinda falls in with standing next to a trash can and throwing it on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That kinda falls in with standing next to a trash can and throwing it on the ground.
    Another one of my [[many) pet peeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Unless it's a frozen item........!
    oops your right!

One time on freezing February day, I pulled a shopping cart out of the corral at Kroger, and found a package of two beautiful sirloin steaks in the cart.
    Normally, I've returned purses, baby carriages, and bags of dry/canned goods to the service desk, but knew those steaks would be tossed over their shoulder into a cart with other returned items.

They went home with me - a twenty dollar treat, other than my usual hamburger.