Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Gilbert's New Statue for One Campus Martius

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ing/623440002/

The wife has too much time [[and money) on her hands?

KAWS is a world-renowned artist who's designed all kinds of stuff from murals to statues to his own Air Jordans. This is likely a very good investment. Detroit News commenters are going to hate it though.

I don't label myself a Detroit News commenter, and I hate it. So tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    I don't label myself a Detroit News commenter, and I hate it. So tacky.

Thank you. Not only is it butt-ugly, but creepy too. Reminds of the scene from Christmas Story, "why, it's a major award..."
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-18-18 at 09:27 PM.

Smiling very politely “Why thank you, where should I ever put it?” Mrs. Gilbert says “Campus Marcius!” “Whaaat? Wheeeere.? But, But I have this great place behind the garage where I go to meditate....there would be perfect!” Next the moment you know you lost when you saw the price in the shipping insurance papers.....

Great stuff. Intriguingly creepy and cool, like a lot of KAWS' work. Nice to actually get some important contemporary public art in Detroit.

So that's Mickey Mouse and Cthulu's love child?

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    So that's Mickey Mouse and Cthulu's love child?
    I'm seeing a resemblance to Zoidberg there.

The eyecrosses means they're dead right? Or is there some other meaning to crosses for eyes that I'm missing?

I can barely make out the bones of the skull & crossbones.

Similar by Kaws
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-19-18 at 06:52 AM.

WTF?! I'd rather see RoboCop...whatever happened to that one?

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    He's being displayed at the Science Center where he will be safe from vandals. Unveiling is sometime in the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Midtown. Outside the science center.

Detroit Free Press: RoboCop statue finds permanent Detroit location

https://on.freep.com/2rlMdYv

The beauty of art is that everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not. Regardless of your opinion on this statue or the artist, installations like this add character and interest to a city [[think of the big blue bear in Denver or the spoon in Minneapolis)

Quote Originally Posted by Nektye View Post
    The beauty of art is that everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of whether it is aesthetically pleasing or not. Regardless of your opinion on this statue or the artist, installations like this add character and interest to a city [[think of the big blue bear in Denver or the spoon in Minneapolis)
    That the argument that's always made. Any pile of junk could be interpreted differently. I disagree. Place the controversial pieces in a museum or a quieter intersection even. I think in prominent places of a city such as Campus Martius the art should be pleasing, or at least not disliked, by most people. That doesn't make me against art and I don't think it's difficult to accomplish.

So you have been appointed by the majority to speak for them?
    This is a private commission on private property.
    Like it or not, this sculpture adds to metro Detroit's public art collection that helps draw people from around the world to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That the argument that's always made. Any pile of junk could be interpreted differently. I disagree. Place the controversial pieces in a museum or a quieter intersection even. I think in prominent places of a city such as Campus Martius the art should be pleasing, or at least not disliked, by most people. That doesn't make me against art and I don't think it's difficult to accomplish.

The question is not whether it is art but whether it is art worthy of such a prominent location. Since it is inspired by a cartoon, and in design physically resembles a cartoon character, I think most people are going to dislike this piece at Campus Martius. Detroit is not a cartoon town. I'm sure people will take their selfies in front of it, but people always take selfies in front of public art, and no one will miss this piece if they [[hopefully) put it somewhere else.

I think Detroit would do well to UPGRADE what it calls "art"
    Personally I thought the Heidelberg Project was atrocious/nasty.
    Much of the grafitti is basically more crap on a bad building.
    Remember this idiocy for the D - https://thesatanictempledetroit.com/
    Detroit has an image problem, had a image problem the past 3 decades.

Let's demand more, raise the bar, expect more than mutated mickymouse

Don’t like it? Don’t stop to admire it or take photos in front of it. Plenty of museums and cities have large scale works of art from this artist and from everything I’ve read he is well respected. In one year it will be like anything else down there and part of the urban landscape.

will Disney sue? I've read that they're quite litigious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    will Disney sue? I've read that they're quite litigious.
    That’s interesting. If Disney can reinterpret and copyright old fairytales, why can’t other artists do the same?

People shouldn't be attacked for saying they don't like it. Gilbert is entitled to have this on his property and I am entitled to say it is horrible.

I will say it belongs with the bell that looks like a fish head at Campus Martius.

Whatever more important matters beset us an is it art controversy is such an easy distraction.

Personally, I under-appreciate sculpture in general. Place-making yes. But architecture and especially urban planning matter so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gee rjlj.... funny you mention artwork that "adds" to Detroits art collection. You might have kept that in mind before you sold this beautiful Detroit lobby Tiffany lamp at auction in NYC for $150,000. It was a tragedy to lose this magnificent work that Detroiters could have enjoyed.

Funny that.....
    I'm curious. What's the rest of the story?

That is something from "Wally World", and if I could punch it in the nose, I would.

Can't we have a similar statue to the Oscar or the Emmy, without the association to both?
    We need something better.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-20-18 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    So you have been appointed by the majority to speak for them?

I'm thinking the same person that appointed you hall monitor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast