Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What about the neighborhoods ?

For many years now residents of the city have been asking "what about the neighborhoods"?
    I've noticed many demos and many people buying and rehabbing houses.
    Also I've notice the new parks,especially on the far eastside.
    Has any other members notice any differences in the neighborhoods?

I have been exploring some of the neighborhoods on bicycle lately and I do notice a difference. There are less abandoned houses. I see newly rehabbed houses that I am not sure were there before. Things generally seem cleaner and I see more people out and about.

Anecdotal evidence.

Default The Savarine Hotel

Yes, the neighborhoods s/b "restored" rather than "redeveloped" except in cases where no viable structures exist. Not everyone wants to live in an industrial-themed loft in an old factory. Not knocking it, but let's face it....Detroit was/is the city of homes. Middle and working class people wanted to live in houses or even duplexes....yards for the kids and pets, land to plant flowers, fruit trees and veggies. And until that happens, there's plenty of classic architecture apartment stock that may be suitable for renovation/restoration.

Since the Jefferson-Chalmers area seems to be pulling itself together, why not devote attention to the surrounding neighborhoods? What's wrong with making them limited-access, gated neighborhoods? BTW: It seems that back in the day, the neighborhoods weren't usually named anything. This clipping simply states "eastern section"!

One building I've always admired the is the Savarine [[Bachelor..yes!) Hotel on E. Jefferson at Lenox. It underwent a "stripped to the floors and steel frame" metamorphosis when it went co-op as The Apple Tree in 1970 as a well-intentioned, but civically fatal FHA Sec. 236 project. Restored to its former glory, it would be a wonderful anchor project for the area, especially since so little Italian Renaissance architecture remains [[relatively speaking) in Detroit.
    Name:  Savarine Hotel - Detroit_Free_Press_Sun__Dec_26__1926_.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  128.8 KB
    from The Detroit Free Press, 12-26-1926, page 48

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Yes, the neighborhoods s/b "restored" rather than "redeveloped" except in cases where no viable structures exist. Not everyone wants to live in an industrial-themed loft in an old factory. Not knocking it, but let's face it....Detroit was/is the city of homes. Middle and working class people wanted to live in houses or even duplexes....yards for the kids and pets, land to plant flowers, fruit trees and veggies. And until that happens, there's plenty of classic architecture apartment stock that may be suitable for renovation/restoration.

Since the Jefferson-Chalmers area seems to be pulling itself together, why not devote attention to the surrounding neighborhoods? What's wrong with making them limited-access, gated neighborhoods? BTW: It seems that back in the day, the neighborhoods weren't usually named anything. This clipping simply states "eastern section"!

One building I've always admired the is the Savarine [[Bachelor..yes!) Hotel on E. Jefferson at Lenox. It underwent a "stripped to the floors and steel frame" metamorphosis when it went co-op as The Apple Tree in 1970 as a well-intentioned, but civically fatal FHA Sec. 236 project. Restored to its former glory, it would be a wonderful anchor project for the area, especially since so little Italian Renaissance architecture remains [[relatively speaking) in Detroit.
    WOW ! I've always wondered about that building. I thought it was a YMCA.
    It would be great if someone bought it and turned it into a hotel again or maybe apartments.

One unforeseen problem, that has been brought to my attention.
    The new parks attract a lot of kids , and young men playing basketball and horseshoes all hours of the night and not abiding by the hours.
    Some neighbors are already upset.
    So on one hand the argument was there is nothing to the kids in the neighbors to do, but when you build the parks they are starting to attract unwelcome activities. :-[[
    I'm not sure how this would be address?

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post

There is a re-development of the Savarine Hotel in the works

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-renovation-80

The September 2017 article states:
    -Detroit-based Shelborne Development Co. LLC is leading renovation of the Hotel Savarine in that neighborhood, with Jefferson East, also based in Detroit, as a partner with 25-percent stake. The historic "stag hotel" has fallen from grace since opening in 1926. The hotel closed in the 1990s and after a failed renovation attempt in 2006, it sits gutted and tagged with graffiti.
    -The plan, again, is to restore the building for housing, said Joshua Elling, executive director of Jefferson East. Construction is expected to begin late next year.

-Detroit-based contractors are being sought for projects around the city, including a $17 million rehabilitation of the Hotel Savarine, former home of legendary beat writer Jack Kerouac.

-A contractor outreach session is scheduled for 1-3 p.m. Thursday at Thinkers Coworking Spaces, 14346 E. Jefferson Ave. The free event is being hosted by D2D, Motor City Re-Store and Jefferson East Inc. with the goal of attracting Detroit-based contractors to bid on $20 million worth of work across 80 projects citywide.