Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Airport Security in Detroit creates 'international incident'

In today's Toronto Star, a discussion about an incident that occurred a while back at Detroit's airport.

A Canadian cabinet minister was asked/ordered to remove his turban.

The details are below:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...f-protest.html

Then there was this:
    Ontario woman arrested, jailed in U.S. for driving with a Canadian licence. [[That may have been posted here already.)

Land of the not-so-free, home of the not-so-brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    In today's Toronto Star, a discussion about an incident that occurred a while back at Detroit's airport.

A Canadian cabinet minister was asked/ordered to remove his turban.

The details are below:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...f-protest.html

"never pulled out his diplomatic passport except at the very end, when a security supervisor demanded that he show official documents to confirm his identity"

I guess they didn't know WTF he was....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "never pulled out his diplomatic passport except at the very end, when a security supervisor demanded that he show official documents to confirm his identity"

I guess they didn't know WTF he was....
    Not until the end.

He says in the article he wants to be treated like an ordinary traveler so he knows what everyone else goes through.

He pulled out his papers when they demanded them.

He pointed out that that what they did wrong was treat anyone that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Then there was this:
    Ontario woman arrested, jailed in U.S. for driving with a Canadian licence. [[That may have been posted here already.)

That got publicity in the UK and around much of the world.

The local Sheriff was called on the carpet by the consul general in Georgia.

In looking at their response [[the Sheriff) it appears they still don't get what they did wrong.

Jailing someone for 17 over, when they had a legally valid license no less.

Even if she hadn't, I can't imagine someone being jailed for driving w/o a license in Canada. You get one hell of a ticket, your car might be impounded [[though you'd likely get the chance to call someone to pick it up).

He says in the article he wants to be treated like an ordinary traveler so he knows what everyone else goes through.

He pulled out his papers when they demanded them.

He pointed out that that what they did wrong was treat anyone that way.

And now he does.

So the agent says "Let me see your papers to see if you're a dignitary?" I'm sure Mr. Bains brought his position up in an attempt to get the agents to back down after he pissed them off.

And yet hundreds of people are detained @ Airport security centers daily, mutter something about the guy's mother under their breath, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

And now he does.

So the agent says "Let me see your papers to see if you're a dignitary?" I'm sure Mr. Bains brought his position up in an attempt to get the agents to back down after he pissed them off.

And yet hundreds of people are detained @ Airport security centers daily, mutter something about the guy's mother under their breath, and move on.

He told me: ‘You have to take off your turban.’ I responded politely that it was not a security threat and that I had passed all the security controls. Then he asked for my name and identification. I reluctantly gave him my diplomatic passport.”

He was traveling on official duty having met your governor, he provided his diplomatic passport, the one on which he was traveling when his identification was demanded.

Please read the article fully and properly.

Please read the article fully and properly.
    Please get the agent's side of the story, also, please look up passive-aggressive.

Jailing someone for 17 over, when they had a legally valid license no less.
    The problem was that she said that she lived in Tennessee. If you live in Tennessee then you need a Tennessee driver's license, or some kind of proof that you live there. A Canadian license is meaningless in that case.

Not sure why she said that, maybe she was out of sorts after being pulled over. Maybe the officer misheard her. Who knows. But she certainly wasn't jailed *only* for having a Canadian driver's license.

Besides which - who on earth goes 17MPH over the speed limit in a foreign country? 87MPH on I-75 in Georgia with Canadian plates? Are you nuts? I don't go over 80MPH on I75 in Michigan, which is only 5 over, and I live here.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The problem was that she said that she lived in Tennessee. If you live in Tennessee then you need a Tennessee driver's license, or some kind of proof that you live there. A Canadian license is meaningless in that case.

Not sure why she said that, maybe she was out of sorts after being pulled over. Maybe the officer misheard her. Who knows. But she certainly wasn't jailed *only* for having a Canadian driver's license.

Besides which - who on earth goes 17MPH over the speed limit in a foreign country? 87MPH on I-75 in Georgia with Canadian plates? Are you nuts? I don't go over 80MPH on I75 in Michigan, which is only 5 over, and I live here.
    There were multiple issues here.

but her requests to speak to the Canadian Consulate or her parents went unanswered.

That is serious violation of international law.**As to the original issue. According to the Georgia Department of Driver Services website, "non-U.S. citizens holding a valid foreign driver's licence are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia."

What she stated was that she a student in Tennessee. That does not obligate her to obtain a Tennessee License. She may obtain such a license. But her Canadian license was valid there.

Apart from those 2 rather glaring issues, this remains an unreasonable arrest. You don't arrest people for driving w/o a license, you ticket them, and prevent them from driving their car away.

However, as noted, her license was valid under Georgia law.

Why are so many Americans scared to death of foreigners right now? It's bizarre how millions have been conned.

Border patrol and airport security have always been bad [[and not only in the U.S., I've seen some stupid stuff in Canada and Western Europe too), but it seems the idiocy has really ramped up in recent years. Gee, I wonder why...

There were multiple issues here.

but her requests to speak to the Canadian Consulate or her parents went unanswered.

That is serious violation of international law.**As to the original issue. According to the Georgia Department of Driver Services website, "non-U.S. citizens holding a valid foreign driver's licence are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia."

What she stated was that she a student in Tennessee. That does not obligate her to obtain a Tennessee License. She may obtain such a license. But her Canadian license was valid there.

Apart from those 2 rather glaring issues, this remains an unreasonable arrest. You don't arrest people for driving w/o a license, you ticket them, and prevent them from driving their car away.

However, as noted, her license was valid under Georgia law.
    You wrote that she may obtain such a license but the state of Tennessee disagrees with you.

Anyone who is not a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident will not qualify for the issuance of a driver license or identification only license.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/classd.html

Every state has different rules and it is the responsibility of the traveler to know those rules for each state before traveling.

Yes some states will arrest you for driving with no license and actually have a law about it,something about you must be leagly licensed to operate a motor vehicle on public roads.Oddly enough when you break that law they arrest you,go figure.

My friend uses his U.K. Passport and British license and has never had any problems in the country when getting pulled over,he shows his proper documents and they send him on his way.

From the provided link

In the meantime, he has some advice for Canadian drivers.
    "Make sure that you have your passport or supporting documents along with your driver's licence," said Bennett. "I know I would if I was in a foreign country."
    Know the law

It is Georgia,everybody should know that if your are driving on I-75 without Georgia plates or DWB you need to make shure you have your ducks in a row and follow the law to the t,turn signals when changing lanes,do not speed like she was and give people a reason to pull you over.

Unless you are going through downtown Atlanta,then if you are not comfortable doing 90 then it is better to stick to the side streets.
    Last edited by Richard; May-10-18 at 03:56 PM.

I'm not sure how long she lived in TN, but foreign licenses are generally good for driving in the U.S. anywhere from 6 months to a year. Since she is a student, she also may not have been required to get a TN license at all, since she is probably not considered a full-time resident.

There was no reason for the officer to arrest her, which is why the case was dismissed. The officer should probably have been reprimanded because s/he also most likely did not have the authority to request her passport.
    Last edited by iheartthed; May-10-18 at 03:58 PM.

I know Canadians, including some of my family members, who will go out of their way not to fly through Detroit because the TSA and Customs agents here are such jerks.

Perhaps if you had read further down the page, sigh:

From https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/classd.html
    Who is not required to have a driver license?

• Operators of any road machinery, farm tractor, or implement of husbandry that is temporarily operated or moved on a highway.
    • Non-residents who have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued by their home state or country, equivalent to the appropriate class or type of Tennessee license.
    • Individuals who are not U.S. citizens and who, in connection with their employment in managerial or technical positions in Tennessee, may operate vehicles with a valid driver license issued by another state, country, or international body for a period of six [[6) months.

In any event, this took place in Georgia, which makes it irrelevant.

Further note: She would have qualified for the Temporary Driver's License in Tennessee, not the regular.

Richard you have persisted in arguing w/me on multiple threads over the years.

As dozens of witnesses can attest you have never been right, not even once.

Stop bothering.
    Last edited by Canadian Visitor; May-10-18 at 04:02 PM.

It is called a discussion,you want to call it an argument if others do not agree with you,stop being such a pompous ass.

If she had the correct documents,Canadian drivers license and passport like everybody else does,it would have not been an issiue from the start.

So who's fault was it that she could not properly identify herself?
    Last edited by Richard; May-10-18 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm not sure how long she lived in TN, but foreign licenses are generally good for driving in the U.S. anywhere from 6 months to a year. Since she is a student, she also may not have been required to get a TN license at all, since she is probably not considered a full-time resident.

There was no reason for the officer to arrest her, which is why the case was dismissed. The officer should probably have been reprimanded because s/he also most likely did not have the authority to request her passport.
    I always enjoy your posts.

Nice to see thoughtful people who make measured statements on here.

Cheers!

I entered the country through DTW back in December and was a little surprised at some of the conversations I could hear the customs agents having while standing in line. It was unprofessional to say the least, and some may have interpreted what they were discussing as racist. I've come across quite a few jerk customs agents at entry points across the country, but that was a first.
    Last edited by iheartthed; May-10-18 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You wrote that she may obtain such a license but the state of Tennessee disagrees with you.

Anyone who is not a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident will not qualify for the issuance of a driver license or identification only license.
    She was a legal resident of TN, so obviously had the right to obtain a license.

She had no obligation to do so, however. There is no requirement that anyone needs to carry a license, of any type.

And foreign licenses are absolutely legal in the U.S. There are a few jurisdictions that require an additional permit, but TN is not one of those places. The country bumpkin officer was clueless.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-10-18 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I entered the country through DTW back in December and was a little surprised at some of the conversations I could hear the customs agents having while standing in line. It was unprofessional to say the least, and some may have interpreted what they were discussing as racist. I've come across quite a few jerk customs agents at entry points across the country, but that was a first.
    In three separate incidents, I've heard outrageously racist comments from border patrol agents or airport security. Like white supremacist-level awful.

And the three incidents were directed at three separate groups: Mexicans, Muslims and [[bizarrely) German nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why are so many Americans scared to death of foreigners right now? It's bizarre how millions have been conned.

Border patrol and airport security have always been bad [[and not only in the U.S., I've seen some stupid stuff in Canada and Western Europe too), but it seems the idiocy has really ramped up in recent years. Gee, I wonder why...
    I’m a lot more scared of those in charge of our government than I am of foreigners these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I’m a lot more scared of those in charge of our government than I am of foreigners these days.
    Amen to that. Certainly a whole lot more frightened of them than I am of any stray Canadian grad students or suspiciously non-white and non-Christian Canadian parliamentarians.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It is Georgia,everybody should know that if your are driving on I-75 without Georgia plates or DWB you need to make shure you have your ducks in a row and follow the law to the t,turn signals when changing lanes,do not speed like she was and give people a reason to pull you over.
    Unless they're from, maybe, a foreign country. They must grab enough unsuspecting people each year to make it worth their while.

Besides which - who on earth goes 17MPH over the speed limit in a foreign country? 87MPH on I-75 in Georgia with Canadian plates? Are you nuts?

You've never driven I-75 in Georgia, have you? If you're not running 15 over, you're not only obstructing traffic, you're probably causing a serious traffic jam.

That was the only state on my runs from MI to FL that I routinely had to increase speed just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You've never driven I-75 in Georgia, have you? If you're not running 15 over, you're not only obstructing traffic, you're probably causing a serious traffic jam.

That was the only state on my runs from MI to FL that I routinely had to increase speed just to be safe.

"Bullshit..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast