Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default AM 1610 The Station, Hamtramck on Kickstarter

I launched THE STATION May 1st, 2009. It's a Low-power AM station broadcasting in beautiful Hamtramck, Michigan: a city having the rare distinction of being surrounded by Detroit, though I prefer the term "hugged".

On good days, my signal reaches most of Hamtramck and parts of Detroit. I'm also streaming on the Internet seven days a week. This isn't pirate radio, THE STATION complies with all FCC "part 15" regulations and is completely legal.

I feature independent Michigan music and I'm soliciting material from Michigan artists on an ongoing basis. I've created a number of shows for different types of music, which play from randomized playlists. The Dr. Morel Show, which plays twice a day, is Michigan Folk, Country, and Bluegrass. The Thanatron 2012 Show, also airing twice a day, is death metal. Sugar Beats is my favorite, which features rock from around the state. The entire schedule is available here:

http://station.hamtramckstar.com

I'm asking for your backing because I'd like to build a studio in which I'd produce a weekly two-hour radio show featuring techno and electronica from Detroit and Michigan. To do this I'll need to build a low-rent studio in our space and obtain ASCAP and BMI licensing.
    All I need is a second turntable, a turntable mixer, a mic mixer, a couple of microphones, and licensing. I'll set it up in the empty store font attached to my house. The transmitter is on my roof.

To become a backer, pledge as little as $2 on my Kickstarter project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-radio-project

If my project is funded, pledges of $50 or more get cool t-shirts, and pledges of $15 or more get a computerized on-air shout-out.

Equipment I need:
    1 more turntable: $550
    Two or more microphones: $400
    1 mixing board: $500
    1 turntable mixer: $100
    1 signal compressor for AM: $200
    1 year of LPAM ASCAP/BMI licensing: $360
    - Miscellaneous cords and gear: $200

The only ongoing costs are my annual licensing of $360/yr, equipment maintenance, and electricity. I think I can cover that with t-shirt sales and my hobby budget.

Sincerely,

Steven Cherry
    AM1610 THE STATION

Attachment 2872

Attachment 2873

Attachment 2874

1 year of ASCAP/BMI licensing for broadcast is only $360?

Yes, there's a single blanket fee for stations under 1 watt. ASCAP is $140 and BMI $220.

Let me get this straight: you have a hobby in which you see yourself as a radio personality, you plan to inflict said hobby on people who live within 500 feet of your storefront residence ...and you want me to pay you for doing it?

Did I miss something?

I'd forgotten why I quit posting on DY, thanks for reminding me gnome.
    Last edited by DocCherry; August-28-09 at 08:14 AM. Reason: meh

Doc, sorry man, but you haven't told us the "why" we should give you money. You have some sort of business plan in mind, but it is only in your own mind.

Care to share with the rest of the class?

Broadcasting to your neighborhood is great, - for your neighborhood - but what are your plans for revenue? How are you going to keep the heat on and the electrons coursing through your wiring? How are you going to make money? Not even make a profit, just cover your expenses,...

Don't mean to blow cold air on your dream, but just telling you that if you want people to give you money you have to have a plan ...and playing techno music for your neighborhood doesn't sound like a plan.

It did not occur to me to ask strangers for financial support for this project.

I'd planned on building my studio with my own bread, just like I did with the transmitter and server running the station since May.

A friend of mine convinced me to try a Kickstarter project. "What do you have to lose?", he said. It was his reasoning that it was a good enough idea that people might want to support it. Especially all the artists and labels trying to get their music out there.

So far $600 has been pledged. $600 more than I ever expected.

I've been streaming on the tubes for a couple months and in addition to some locals, listeners in Hawaii, Europe, Australia, and South Africa have all tuned in to hear Michigan music they wouldn't have otherwise been exposed to.

My station isn't going to be self-sufficient. I'm going to have to pay my electrical bill and my licensing fees every year. I'm going to have to buy vinyl. Maybe a couple of people will buy t-shirt and I'll make $20-$30, maybe they wont.

It's really no bother either way.

Gnome, so far, you and one other person have had a negative reaction to the project. The other guy sent me an email asking several questions about how it's legal, what equipment I'm using, and where I get music. I took several minutes and answered all his questions. I added him to my mailing list because he seemed genuinely interested.

Then after the first update to the list, I got a nasty email back about how he wasn't interested in the Station, wasn't interested in local music, and never to email him again.

No problem. Don't support it, don't listen. No big deal really.

... especially since the typical setup like the one described has the fidelity of a tin-can-and-string telephone.

If you wanna get off on playing DJ, fine. Asking people in this economic climate to subsidize your hobby ain't gonna get you far.

Have you considered a bake sale?

Bake sale is a great idea.

Doc, you seem passionate for your project, good luck with your vision.

Honestly, I'm amazed anyone's pledged anything. I figure most people think it's a stupid idea and wouldn't support it. Only a few have taken the time to sh*it on it. [[Well three now, two from DY in 15 minutes.)

This weekend I'm finishing up one of those Kresge Grant applications to see if we can start a program to teach High School students how to produce radio and conduct interviews.

I suppose there's probably a way to sh*it on that idea too.
    Last edited by DocCherry; August-28-09 at 10:57 AM.

Doc, we are having a massive disconnect here. I don't think your idea is stupid, if I did I would have said so; I think you are not giving me a good reason to fund your hobby.

You seem to take offense where none was intended.

Your communication points are based on you and your interests. You are looking through the wrong end of the telescope. Think of what will motivate people to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Doc, we are having a massive disconnect here. I don't think your idea is stupid, if I did I would have said so;
    I must have misunderstood. Silly me.

Wont the streaming of ASCAP/BMI cost more than $360?

Or are you going to stop streaming when you get the ASCAP/BMI license?

I am fairly certain that when I looked into it for just podcasting that the costs were outrageous... not just for ASCAP/BMI which had that standard fee, but also for a "reproduction" fee on a per song [[and perhaps also per listener count) basis.

Here is some pertinent information that I had from ASCAP:

Every Internet transmission of a musical work constitutes a public performance of that work. The ASCAP license authorizes these performances for works in the ASCAP repertory.
    Internet transmissions also involve the reproduction and distribution rights in musical works.
    ASCAP licenses do not authorize the reproduction, or distribution of music or sound recordings, or the public performance of sound recordings [[as distinguished from the music contained in the sound recordings). To obtain these rights you should contact the Harry Fox Agency, Inc. [[the wholly-owned licensing subsidiary of the National Music Publishers' Association, Inc.) or the copyright owner for authorization to copy and distribute the music, and the copyright owner of the sound recording [[usually the record label) for authorization to copy, distribute and perform sound recordings. Information on these important rights may be obtained from the Harry Fox Agency, and the RIAA, the record labels' trade association.

By the way, for potential donors I would suggest an appeal that wasn't about your "wanting to play DJ" but actually about providing a service to the local community, that being the airing of independent and local music that they can't hear elsewhere.

Of course that would appeal to your listening area and those artists rather than someone sitting over in Roseville, but I still think its more than people just donating for your hobby.

East Detroit,

NAB had been negotiating until recently with ASCAP and BMI regarding radio simulcasting as opposed to simply streaming.

The decision was made that radio stations could simulcast under their existing blanket licensing agreements at no additional cost.

When I launched in May I assumed I would have to steer clear of ASCAP/BMI but it looks like I'll be covered since I actually operate a radio station.

Very nice. Sounds like you did your homework.

How much of a donation do you need to sit down and tell me all the steps involved in doing this?

UFO Guest

I listened for a while last night and sincerely enjoyed your broadcast via stream very much.

It reminded me of when I was a child and I used to listen to that old school music with my grandma [[may she rest in peace).
    It also reminded me of the scene in "Green Mile" where Cofey saw his first "flicker show"
    "heaven,,,,,,I'm in heavennnnn.

Doc, I would help you out but Im a victim of this economy. I really wish I could but I can't.

Don't let the negativity get you down. It seems to be a natural mental disorder for %99 of Detroiters.

Good Luck to you with your dream. I'm sure you will succeed.
    Last edited by UFO; August-28-09 at 04:37 PM.

UFO, you may have picked up either the Cortez Martin or Pa Hunter show. [[Pa Hunter is still national public domain country and blues.)

The Cortez Martin show is now 100% old time Detroit Jazz and Blues. I've been in touch with some University Music Professor types who are enthused about helping me add to the show.

Thanks for checking it out.

East Detroit,

$0. I'm working with some people in Ypsi who are also setting up a LPAM station. Let me get this Kresge grant written this weekend and we'll sit down.

A bunch of little stations across the city would really be something.

Great entrepreneurial nature... love it.

So, how does a local artist go about getting considered for one of your radio programs?

On the website there's a section called "submissions" with all the info:

http://station.hamtramckstar.com

You can send a CD or LP snail mail, send me mp3 files or tell me where to download them.

Currently, I'm not licensed to play ASCAP/BMI represented music but we'll have those contracts in place very soon so don't let it stop you.

Default ASCAP/BMI licensing starts Jan. 1

I'm now licensed to play ASCAP and BMI represented music starting January 1.