Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Detroit Crime

Default Detroit Crime

I am being serious here, but this has to be seen as a small victory here, Detroit was ranked the 6th most dangerous city in the U.S. Obviously ideally the city wouldn't be on the list at all, but after years of seemingly being 1 or 2 a drop to 6 seems like a small victory!

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ies/586685002/

I wonder if there’s a direct correlation between crime and political leadership [[Dems vs Reps)

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I wonder if there’s a direct correlation between crime and political leadership [[Dems vs Reps)
    *sigh* Are we really going to go around this old tired Limbaugh/Fox News talking point yet again?

And now that crime is down, Duggan is a Republican?!?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-09-18 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakewayj View Post
    I am being serious here, but this has to be seen as a small victory here, Detroit was ranked the 6th most dangerous city in the U.S. Obviously ideally the city wouldn't be on the list at all, but after years of seemingly being 1 or 2 a drop to 6 seems like a small victory!
    It's actually rather disconcerting that MI is the 9th largest state in population, yet it holds just shy of 1/3 of the cities in the 10 most dangerous, and just shy of a quarter of the cities in the top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    It's actually rather disconcerting that MI is the 9th largest state in population, yet it holds just shy of 1/3 of the cities in the 10 most dangerous, and just shy of a quarter of the cities in the top 25.
    That was pretty much what I thought after reading this.

It does reflect well the total incompetence in Lansing long term though in looking out for the safety and economic conditions of Michigan citizens considering they have done nothing but fail on this issue.

I can already hear the excuses yet again.

A article on why the DPD remains understaffed and underexperianced.

https://www.bridgemi.com/detroit-jou...s-jumping-ship

That part is definitely disconcerting, small victory for Detroit but maybe highlights the greater issue which was Michigan's inability to recover or diversify its economy while decentralization on deindustrialization drove people out of all of those cities like Flint, Saginaw and Detroit to the suburbs. End of the day it is time for cities and suburbs to start looking for solutions and stop pointing fingers and playing the blame game. One thing that nobody can deny[[if they are being honest with themselves) is that a stronger city center means a stronger region overall. Let's start looking forward at what needs to be done and look back to the past to see how not to do it.

End of the day it is time for cities and suburbs to start looking for solutions and stop pointing fingers and playing the blame game.

Get rid of the old guard like L Brooks, who has his own agenda and doesn't want to cooperate with other leaders to improve Detroit, then maybe you'll see some changes.

It should also be remembered that the DPD has received quite a bit of criticism in the way that it reports or under-reports crime and crime statistics. Fudging the books to make themselves look more efficient, or making some areas seem safer, are some of the criticisms of the DPD.
    Last edited by night-timer; May-13-18 at 06:33 PM.

I once saw a YouTube video where the ex dealer said there is nobody left to sell to.The turf isn't worth fighting over any more so the murder rate declines. [[ I know that's just one factor)

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    It is should also be remembered that the DPD has received quite a bit of criticism in the way that it reports or under-reports crime and crime statistics. Fudging the books to make themselves look more efficient, or making some areas seem safer, are some of the criticisms of the DPD.
    Although murder isn't a perfect proxy for crime [[in general), it is the most reliable statistic we have.

Other than some issues [[e.g., how to classify a terrorist action, e.g., 9/11 vs. the run of the mill murders, one or two killings per incident) murders are fairly and completely reported.

It is kind of hard to hide a murder from the police or press.

One would be advised to look at Detroit murder statistics over the last 5 or 10 years. Curious what data the FBI UCR has.
    Last edited by emu steve; May-13-18 at 08:47 AM.