Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Downtown Royal Oak Booming

I'm of the view that we are strong working together as a metropolitan region and celebrating each other's successes. Just like I think Oakland County benefits from a strong city center and should support things like mass transit, I also believe Detroit benefits from strong neighboring communities, particularly the inner-ring suburbs.

And when we talk about suburbs, not all are the same. Certain areas are aligning themselves around higher density development, walkability, connectivity, quality architecture and design and traditional neighborhood structures with city centers. Royal Oak certainly checks those boxes and I think is experiencing the right kind of growth, that is, healthy, sustainable growth that benefits the region and its residents.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...all/575607002/

"After years of being a mostly one- and two-story “old-fashioned” downtown, with a 1950s feel like countless others nationwide, this one is gorging on new investment. And it’s growing like a weed, from short to mid-rise.....

The initial goal of 180,000 square feet of new office space is just a memory.
    “Right now, we’re looking at hitting 300,000 square feet, and I’m not counting a couple of projects that we think are coming,” Fenton said.
    It turned out that, once the Great Recession ended, developers fell in love with Royal Oak’s central location, amid two freeways, coupled with its already walkable downtown. It didn’t hurt that Oakland County as a whole has boomed ever since bottoming out in 2010, according to a University of Michigan study released last week.

The builders pounced on Royal Oak. First came the residential breed, who quickly snatched up every available lot for new housing starts. In 2013-15, the city had a run of residential construction virtually unmatched by any other metro Detroit community on a new-housing-per-capita basis.
    Then came the officer species. And suddenly, the downtown skyline started looking like, well, someplace else.....

The list of new downtown buildings includes:

• Hyatt Place, a six-story hotel to be open by September on North Main, at the site of a former car dealership;
    • Etkin Building, a soon-to-open mid-rise office tower that rose a former city-owned parking lot, behind traditional storefronts on South Main – and fully leased before completion, city officials said.
    • Kinetic Creations headquarters, a new midrise office building under contructions, three blocks east and four blocks south of the city’s downtown epicenter, 11 Mile and Main.

In addition, Royal Oak has massive swaths of construction under way outside its downtown, near 13 Mile and Woodward. One facet is a new shopping center at the southeast corner, to be called the Woodward Corners by Beaumont because the property is owned by adjoining Beaumont Hospital. Another is just east of the northeast corner, a 10-acre housing development swaddled in a 40-acre park on the site of a former city golf course."

I don't think there has been a point in recent history where downtown RO had less development. Ten years ago, there maybe a dozen multifamily projects u/c [[including a ridiculous 20 floor highrise).

Nowadays, there's that one downtown office building u/c. Don't think there's anything else actually being built [[they've talked about that City Hall redevelopment for years now).

Also, Beaumont Hospital isn't even close to downtown RO. And is that Hyatt actually u/c? They've been talking about that for, what, 30 years? Ever since I-696 was built they've wanted a hotel on South Main.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-04-18 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't think there has been a point in recent history where downtown RO had less development. Ten years ago, there maybe a dozen multifamily projects u/c [[including a ridiculous 20 floor highrise).

Nowadays, there's that one downtown office building u/c. Don't think there's anything else actually being built [[they've talked about that City Hall redevelopment for years now).

Also, Beaumont Hospital isn't even close to downtown RO. And is that Hyatt actually u/c? They've been talking about that for, what, 30 years? Ever since I-696 was built they've wanted a hotel on South Main.

Yes, the Hyatt is under construction right now.
    The major civic center development and downtown park begins later this month or next month.

The article leaves out a lot of other downtown or near downtown developments like this 65 unit apartment project on the site of a former lawnmower repair shop. http://www.dailytribune.com/article/...NEWS/180219692

There are many more like this near or in downtown. See, e.g., https://www.romi.gov/881/Coming-Soon

At A Glance

[[updated March 2018)
    Projects Under Construction:

97,000+ sf Office - 159,000+ sf Retail - 307,500+ sf Residential [[350+ units)
    Approved Projects:

260,000+ sf Office - 74,500+ sf Retail - 878,000+ sf Residential [[700+ units)
    Last edited by Paris_of_the_Midwest; May-04-18 at 02:11 PM.

I'm actually beginning to think you never leave your house.

Downtown Royal Oak is mixed use and very walkable. That is not coincidental to its success.

I wouldn't say RO is "booming" exactly, but there are a few decent projects underway and proposed [[city hall/park). I think one of the most interesting development stories in Royal Oak is all the bungalows being torn down and replaced with giant craftsman homes, much like what happened in Birmingham.

I do like the plan to build that park. There are certainly things to do in RO and places to eat, but it doesn't really have a central gathering spot, other than the sidewalks of Main Street. If programmed correctly, it will be a huge success. Plymouth is a great example of how well this can work.

I was just in Royal Oak yesterday afternoon. The streets were like a ghost town. More daytime office workers can't come quickly enough. The retail balance has completely skewed towards restaurants and bars with very little else. The east side of Washington from 4th south to OCC is littered with empty storefronts. Hopefully they can re-balance their offerings so the streets aren't so empty during the day. Otherwise it'll be forever lost as a playground for suburban dbags.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    The east side of Washington from 4th south to OCC is littered with empty storefronts.
    American Apparel closed but unfortunately another salon coming in, Five15 just moved, and everything south of 6th St. has never done well. No surprise there. And also unfortunate, we're losing Gayle's to retirement.

I don't like the developments in downtown Royal Oak because:

1) the city had to offer massive incentives and charge up the civic credit card [[with bond debt) to attract these new developments in the downtown core; city management did their best to keep the public's opinion from influencing how they wanted the city commission to vote. Residents are going to be on the hook for these costs for years, meaning roads, maintenance and services are going to get neglected even more than they already are.

2) the few remaining small businesses along Main Street are really being damaged by the loss of parking. I wouldn't be surprised if Main Street looks as vacant as Washington does by this time next year.

OTOH, I don't mind Fresard being turned into a Hyatt + a bunch of other buildings because that's not really downtown and the abandoned ruins of the dealership were a fugly eyesore for years.

The parking lot in front of City Hall closes on May 7th [[as in, like a couple days from now).
    Last edited by Malcove Magnesia; May-05-18 at 02:20 PM.

I personally really miss the Royal Oak of ten years ago, it was full of interesting shops mixed with good restaurants and bars. I used to go there often as there was so much to do, even though I always liked living in downtown Detroit even then. Now , it has totally reversed. Except for going to movies at the Main and the occasional meal, there is nothing that I find appealing.. Its just endless bars and restaurants. I very seldon leave Downtown and Midtown Detroit as now it has it all.. restaurants, bars, breweries, distilleries, pro sports, culture and museums, theater and the arts, riverfront and river walk, great biking, and cycling areas, Belle Isle, Eastern Market , walking to work and more. So odd how things change.
    Last edited by DetBill; May-04-18 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    I don't like the developments in downtown Royal Oak because:

1) the city had to offer massive incentives and charge up the civic credit card [[with bond debt) to attract these new developments in the downtown core; city management did their best to keep the public's opinion from influencing how they wanted the city commission to vote. Residents are going to be on the hook for these costs for years, meaning roads, maintenance and services are going to get neglected even more than they already are.
    There's currently a millage and improvement plan in place for maintaining the city streets. So, residents are already on the hook for that .

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill
    Its just endless bars and restaurants.
    ^^ This. With rents going up and up, it seems all that the only businesses that can afford the current rates are restaurants and bars. I'm not sure if it's still true, but the city at one point had more bars than it should based on population, requiring waivers to allow them in. If the city is still above that limit, it needs to start saying no more and not rubber-stamping every bar that comes in begging for a waiver and license transfer from elsewhere. More of a mix would be a good thing.

"With rents going up and up, it seems all that the only businesses that can afford the current rates are restaurants and bars"

If you go to Chicago or New York or San Francisco or Washington, or to the near suburbs of any of those cities, the rents are fantastically high. I don't know what commercial rent is going for in RO these days, but it can't possibly be worse than Alexandria VA, yet Alexandria [[and the cities I listed and many of their suburbs) have vibrant retail-restaurant districts with a variety of uses.

Of course one of the compelling factors in any of those places is that transit is very good so it is easy to visit the business districts without having to worry about driving and where do I park and so forth... but Royal Oak is, at least, taking a stab at working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm actually beginning to think you never leave your house.
    What, specifically, is your disagreement?

And what do my alleged house-dwelling tendencies have to do with the fact that Beaumont is nowhere near [[and has nothing to do with) downtown RO?

Beaumont is actually slightly closer to downtown Bham than RO. The closest downtown to Beaumont would be Berkley. It's silly to link/attribute Beaumont expansion to downtown RO.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-07-18 at 09:16 AM.

^^ I'd have to agree, for once. Beaumont is at the northern end of R.O. , unless Beaumont is contributing some type of financial commitment, in downtown R.O. R.O. is exorbitantly overpriced IMO anyway, especially the housing.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-07-18 at 10:28 AM.

What, specifically, is your disagreement?

And what do my alleged house-dwelling tendencies have to do with the fact that Beaumont is nowhere near [[and has nothing to do with) downtown RO?

Beaumont is actually slightly closer to downtown Bham than RO. The closest downtown to Beaumont would be Berkley. It's silly to link/attribute Beaumont expansion to downtown RO.
    Yes, I know. I was referring to you not knowing there are two office developments well under construction/near completion, a hotel under construction, and the new downtown park and development also about to start.

Many other times you like to argue about something not happening when it very clearly is.

Also, the OP made no mention of the link between 13/Woodward development and downtown development. But they are two important developments happening in the same city.

"In addition, Royal Oak has massive swaths of construction under way outside its downtown..." How does that sound like the OP is linking downtown with 13/Woodward?

Berkley has a downtown?

Downtown Royal Oak is mini metropolis by itself

L.B. Patterson likes that in his Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Berkley has a downtown?
    Of course, just go to 12 Mile Rd. between Coolidge Rd. and Greenfield Rd and find out.

^^^ Long time no hear Danny!

My thing about Royal Oak is Where is the magnent? I know a few business owners within the downtown area and they all say it's kind of an oasis

I am a self admitted hater of RO, to a certain degree it is our central city.

Royal Oak reminds me of an actor or actress who has had a bad facelift.
    I worked there from 1978 to 2008 and the place is hardly recognizable now.
    It started with the Washington Square building renovation when the old tenants were squeezed out. Mr. B's came along on Main Street and other bars moved in while old favorites like Alden's Alley and the Courtesy Bar bit the dust.
    Yuppies took over with townhouses springing up and schools closing down. Local businesses got priced out of town when cost per square foot went up due to restaurants and bars thriving.
    "Progress" came with a price of charm and local flavor going away.

I think you can hate on Royal Oak, but as far as Metro Detroit is concerned it's really not that bad. There is a nice sized, walkable Downtown, different housing options, movie theatres, restaurants, shops. Not just the same old drab suburban strip malls. Some people might not want to live in Detroit city limits but also not want to live in a monotonous suburb, and I think it provides a good option. Metro Detroit is generally lacking in options.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I think you can hate on Royal Oak, but as far as Metro Detroit is concerned it's really not that bad. There is a nice sized, walkable Downtown, different housing options, movie theatres, restaurants, shops. Not just the same old drab suburban strip malls. Some people might not want to live in Detroit city limits but also not want to live in a monotonous suburb, and I think it provides a good option. Metro Detroit is generally lacking in options.
    Seriously. Great parks, grocery stores, dense tree-lined neighborhoods... You can do a lot worse, even if the city isn't what it once was.

There's also still a retail streak in downtown. It's an exaggeration that it's all bars and restaurants [[I think city hall has learned its lesson on giving liquor licenses willy-nilly). Deco Doug, Metals in Time, Noir Leather, and Sole Sisters are long standing businesses still there. But Scout, Rail and Anchor [[one of my favorites stores ever), UHF record store, Write Impressions [[more than just cards), Lost & Found, Paper Trail Books, and The Dirt Label. Heck 5Fifteen even sells some stuff. There's also a new men's custom clothier on 6th St.

Also, it's amazing that the new office building at Center and 11 Mile is already fully leased.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast