Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Detroit Zoo looking to build downtown Aquarium

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...oit/569853002/

I don't really know if you could have negative opinions about this. Sounds like a great plan and there is definetely room and a need for more tourist attractions.

Anyone have any info on this plot size? What would it compare to Shedd or Georgia?
    Last edited by JonWylie; May-01-18 at 07:22 PM.

This would be great for the city.

The Georgia Aquarium, a good analogue IMO, has been a huge boon for Atlanta.

would be amazing! and fill an empty plot with the perfect use!! it would be way better to have a tourist attraction such as this vs some office building

I don't know if the old Ford Auditorium site is the best spot for this aquarium. I think Rivertown/Warehouse District is the best spot for it.

I can envision something the size of Milwaukee's aquarium, and I'd love if they created an iconic design, like the Milwaukee Art Museum. I guess I like Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I can envision something the size of Milwaukee's aquarium, and I'd love if they created an iconic design, like the Milwaukee Art Museum. I guess I like Milwaukee.
    I'm just not a big fan of Santiago Calatrava. He has some good work but mostly I find his designs are too frivolous.

curious. I wonder how much money will have to be raised? I would not recommend the city take on this project on their own. There needs to be philanthropic grants and sponsorship sought out.

Sidebar- there is a police station at the riverfront, and parking is scanty. If this development is undertaken, I wonder if this would affect things..

8. Default

That would be a lynchpin for downtown entertainment. There is not much to consistently draw people to the riverfront area in winter. This could benefit the always struggling RenCen retail and greatly benefit the Marriott.

I would think there are interesting ways to connect an aquarium to the Detroit River, perhaps extend out into it.

I'm trying to get a sense of scale...$120 would be 4x's the size/scope of Cleveland's Aquarium. Seems a substantial undertaking.

I would also think Detroit should leverage STEM in this project too. I've never been to the Detroit Science Center, maybe there's some relationship to leverage there...

the Greater Cleveland Aquarium opened in 2012 and cost approx $33 Million in a repurposed trolley powerhouse.

Milwaukee's Discovery World has an aquarium, but large music/technology exhibits and strong partnerships with local corporations [[Rockwell Automation, Kohl's, MillerCoors) - they're working on a $18 million expansion now

Part of me really wants it by the river, but part of me also thinks it makes more sense to put it near the other Museums

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Part of me really wants it by the river, but part of me also thinks it makes more sense to put it near the other Museums
    I think the riverfront is a very natural spot. I also love the old Ford Auditorium location - it's just feet away from the Port of Detroit. Hopefully that'll draw more ships/boats with tourists to utilize the port.

Default Baltimore Aquarium

Baltimore's National Aquarium is impressive - it's located in Baltimore's downtown inner harbor district which has lots of places to eat and hang out. There's no parking at the aquarium so people park in nearby city and private parking structures.

Even with lots of support from corporate donors, people pay plenty to see the exhibits. Adult admission is $40.00. Kids get in for $25.00. That means Mom, dad and two kids would have to pay $130.00, plus parking, plus food, plus souvenirs.

Considering past boondoggles, supporters need to present a legitimate business case for a new aquarium - something more than wishful thinking or, "If we build it, they will come." IMHO, one million [[paying) visitors a year sounds overly optimistic. We don't need another boondoggle like Flint Auto World.
    Last edited by Pat001; May-04-18 at 08:45 AM.

Speculation without the need to spend any of one's own money, leads me to suggest that unfortunate structure called, Joe Louis Arena, as an aquarium site. [[I know, not an original idea, but a soon-to-be hollowed out starting point, all the same.) But let's do it better and different if it is to be done at all: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE VISUALS.... a little STEM education about the Great Lakes watershed system would be nice, as would a history lesson about the importance of the Detroit River over the centuries. Offer river rides though a tunnel leading out of The Joe, and then downriver to the new Riverfront West environs and back - weather permitting. Oh, and offer the best damn fish sandwich ever in the sparkling, upscale cafeteria!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    Oh, and offer the best damn fish sandwich ever in the sparkling, upscale cafeteria!
    Do aquariums serve seafood? Seems like a cruel irony haha
    Last edited by EGrant; May-02-18 at 03:22 PM.

This coupled with the observation deck and rumored auto museum would certainly change the landscape of downtown for entertainment and families. Given the potential redesign of Hart Plaza showcased in the Amazon bid and this release I think this has some serious legs and that we may see something more solid later this year. Everything seems to hint at big changes for that area and how it is integrated downtown with retail and amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    Speculation without the need to spend any of one's own money, leads me to suggest that unfortunate structure called, Joe Louis Arena, as an aquarium site.
    I don't think the city techincally owns the Joe anymore, I think it belongs to the debtors of the bankruptcy. So they would have to buy it back

I have been wanting this for years! I remember being raked over the coals here for "hating" the Belle Isle Aquarium. I never had anything against it, other than the fact it was a tiny version of what we should have, and I think could support. I've been to probably 20 aquariums in my life; I love them. Audobon in New Orleans is a favorite for the "Mississippi River" going through it [[basically, it's a long walk of an exhibit showing the native marine life the length of the river).

I, echoing some others, am a little hot and cold on the location if it were to be the old auditorium site. Yes, it is pretty central to a lot, but it doesn't mesh with my overall goal: a "science cultural center" which would eventually include a natural history museum, planetarium and a relocated, hands-on Michigan Science Center, in addition to the aquarium. Now, don't get me wrong, I think the aquarium would thrive at the Ford Auditorium site. But I think the planners should think longer term. If I could wave my wand I would build it at the old Uniroyal site. I also once liked the idea of putting such institutions around and about Michigan Central, but I am happy to have such dreams dashed...

My love and excitement for Detroit grows a little every day [[ever since I was a kid). Even when various projects aren't exactly what, where and how I would do them, we're booming, and that makes he very happy.

It really depends what kind of aquarium is being discussed for Detroit.

Are they thinking ‘we don’t have one so let’s get one?’ Something that would mostly draw from metro Detroit and visitors that would happen to be in town?

Ford Auditoruim site is approximately 2.5 acres from google earth measurements. Not nearly big enough for anything that would compete in the field and bring people in with a farther reach or leave any room to expand in the future.

I agree with Mikey. The Uniroyal site makes far more sense.

Go big or go home.

What’s the point of ‘if you enjoyed ours then you really need to go to Atlanta, Baltimore or Monterey?’ Those are the impressive ones.

We would need someone with deep pockets to seed the non profit. There is no way Detroit can handle this beyond a land donation. There are critical needs in the neighborhoods that still need attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    We would need someone with deep pockets to seed the non profit. There is no way Detroit can handle this beyond a land donation. There are critical needs in the neighborhoods that still need attention.
    One of the articles I read yesterday mentioned the Zoo envisions donations/sponsorships to cover construction. I'd be curious about Atlanta's aquarium and how much its operating expenses are, and who subsidizes them. It is not indicated on its Wikipedia page, although it does say that it cost $290M to open, and did so debt-free.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    One of the articles I read yesterday mentioned the Zoo envisions donations/sponsorships to cover construction. I'd be curious about Atlanta's aquarium and how much its operating expenses are, and who subsidizes them. It is not indicated on its Wikipedia page, although it does say that it cost $290M to open, and did so debt-free.
    The people I know in Atlanta rave about the Georgia Aquarium non stop. They always say it is better than the olympics were because it pays dividends constantly.

They usually operate in the black unless they are doing a addition.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...ions/582574918

Some economic impact claims:

https://patch.com/georgia/midtown/ge...t-19-billion-0

Thanks for the info, ABD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Even with lots of support from corporate donors, people pay plenty to see the exhibits. Adult admission is $40.00. Kids get in for $25.00. That means Mom, dad and two kids would have to pay $130.00, plus parking, plus food, plus souvenirs.
    How many Detroit residents could afford a visit? Residents may resist any proposal to spend City money on this.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    How many Detroit residents could afford a visit? Residents may resist any proposal to spend City money on this.
    Or they may really embrace it. As for pricing, I think they should either follow an annual membership model [[hypothetically $50 per adult, $35 for kids, $200 per family, etc) with unlimited visits, or, if local tax money is used, free visits for tricounty resdients.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    This is a ligitmate question. This is exactly why zero city money should be involved in this endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    This is a ligitmate question. This is exactly why zero city money should be involved in this endeavor.
    That is one of 2 good reasons not to involve city money: the other being that the institution would struggle financially when the city has a revenue hiccup; and it would be at the whims of often idiotic politicians. Don't take city money, don't get the city's strings...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast