Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $130M in investments coming to seven Detroit neighborhoods

We've heard about rehabbing 7 neighborhoods before. It will interesting to see what can be done besides fixing a few sidewalks and planting a few flowers.

Good geographical spacing on the city map going on with this one.

Optics are important that the improvements will be spread around the city consistently. They have that covered.

I'll believe it, when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I'll believe it, when I see it.
    I think that’s fair.

I am hoping that positive cash flow and this Mayor will be the difference maker.

Downtown and Midtown are on a roll. Let them take care of themselves for a bit and make a direct pivot towards the neighborhoods with the capital improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I think that’s fair.

I am hoping that positive cash flow and this Mayor will be the difference maker.

Downtown and Midtown are on a roll. Let them take care of themselves for a bit and make a direct pivot towards the neighborhoods with the capital improvements.
    I believe this money would cover streetscaping, etc.

As such, downtown and Midtown have businesses which can create a BID and self-fund.

I have seen some really nice streetscaping which really improves the look of an intersection or block or few blocks along a street.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Good geographical spacing on the city map going on with this one.

Optics are important that the improvements will be spread around the city consistently. They have that covered.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Redevelopment efforts don’t just need to spread out from downtown and midtown into the neighborhoods; they need to be spread around town.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Redevelopment efforts don’t just need to spread out from downtown and midtown into the neighborhoods; they need to be spread around town.
    I agree with the following caveat:

Development is largely organic, i.e., mostly where ever private dollars see an opportunity for a good return on investment. It has been downtown, Midtown, and New Center. Corktown looks 'hot' for the rest of this decade.

These bucks, OTOH, are quasi-public, philanthropic dollars so their usage will be different. The goal is more fair minded, equitable and less 'market oriented.'

I just hope folks don't over estimate what say 10 - 15M of streetscaping can buy in a single neighborhood if one goes by the linear mile [[e.g., Livernois between 6 and 5 mile).

E.g., do a lot of streetscaping around UDM and Marygrove? That can cost a lot of bucks because of the amount of street exposure those colleges have.
    Last edited by emu steve; May-07-18 at 02:28 PM.

Excellent for Detroit. For decades this kind of news would make some salivate.

Pardon my skepticism, but we've heard this before. What will be done to make these places safer? No one wants to live where they don't feel safe.

Ultimately, better things will spread out from downtown to the neighborhoods. Isn't that how Detroit grew up? In order to make Detroit or any other city safer, simply end the war on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Pardon my skepticism, but we've heard this before. What will be done to make these places safer? .

They're putting in bike lanes and plastic sticks. There, don't you feel warm and fuzzy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Ultimately, better things will spread out from downtown to the neighborhoods. Isn't that how Detroit grew up? In order to make Detroit or any other city safer, simply end the war on drugs.

It's not just drugs. Robberies and Car Jackings are high on the list also.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Pardon my skepticism, but we've heard this before. What will be done to make these places safer? No one wants to live where they don't feel safe.
    I lived in some great neighborhoods in Detroit, Midtown, Rosedale Park, Lafayette Park and Indian Village. Initially, safety wasn't an issue. While safety was the primary issue for my leaving Detroit 5 years ago, living in Detroit became too expensive and too inconvenient. Between insurance [[home & car), utilities, security features in and around my home, taxes, lack of retail and grocery stores within the city limits, and constantly being concerned about my safety when I'm out running errands. Since I left Detroit I have visited at least 2 times each year. Each time I've seen a lot of wonderful improvements. I'm sure there will be many more. There are many reasons for the decline in Detroit's population over the years. I can only speak for my reason. Quality of life. A friend from Detroit visited me in Santa Fe last week. All she kept saying was "I see why you moved here." I applaud those who are hanging in there waiting for the come back of Detroit. If I were 30 or 40 years younger I probably would too. However I'm 69 and don't have time to wait.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; May-21-18 at 10:38 AM.

^^ I don't blame you. Life is already short enough, might as well enjoy having piece of mind without feeling encumbered.

Money isn't what will save Detroit.. it's people. Detroit and all its suburbs are in this together. Detroit is bleeding people. 100 schools closed in Detroit over the last 10 years... Over half of the public school districts in Oakland county are losing students. Not sure why the state of Michigan is expanding I-75 and I-94 when the demographics don't support population growth. Also, Detroit Metro Airport is no longer in the top 50 airports in the world for passenger service and or cargo [[lost that spot since 2013). Detroit is on a slow downward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    While safety was the primary issue for my leaving Detroit 5 years ago, living in Detroit became too expensive and too inconvenient.
    I left 20 years ago this fall. I haven't been back and never will be. Nothing being done downtown will ever help change the culture of the dirtbags they infest the neighborhoods.

At the time, I could have paid off my mortgage in a few more years [[would own it outright by now), but the other costs mentioned would have been difficult to cover on my present income. I was on the far western edge, so shopping wasn't really an issue.

But in all these threads about recovery, I see nothing, not a single thing that would ever draw me back. It was OK in the 60s and into the early 70s, but that quality of life in the neighborhoods will never be back.

The city recently held its Grand River implementation meeting really like the focus on building density in the corridor. Old Redford really could be destination in the coming years

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...-30-144636-357

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Northwest

Hi, Former_Detroiter - I, like you, mourn for Detroit the way it was and hope that it is restored to its former glory. That said, I was a member of WSU Class of '79 and jobs were scarce and most of us were forced to leave town just to survive. Some came back, but a lot [[like me) didn't. Eventually, my entire family moved here [[Ft. Bend County, Texas). Houses and taxes were relatively cheap. I've met A LOT of former Michigan people down here, most from Detroit.

Detroit's taxes are too high for the city services and quality of live provided. What are school taxes for Detroit nowadays? Getting your money's worth from DPS? I think not. Detroit needs to find an income generating avenue to offset the taxes lost from corporate flight and loss of population. Why can't these geniuses in government and "civic planners" come up with something?

My great-grandmother came to Detroit about 100 years ago because "that's were the work was". We left because that's were the work wasn't.