Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Perfecting Church

Building of this mega church has taken over a decade. Any progress being made? Will it ever be finished?

Not sure. But it's tough to raise money at that level - the building is coming together very SLOWLY..... but steadily.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-27-18 at 08:37 PM.

For those that want some context: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/03/...pen-next-year/

What we locals refer to as "The Tyvek Temple."

That crap gonna.sit there empty for the foreseeable future. Churches are suffering, people aren't into religion and attending churches like their parent and grandparents. It's a dying idea with less and less people identifing with sky wizards.

Yep, true! They've moved on to more secularly wise, earthly wizards......!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-30-18 at 04:00 PM.

Seriously. Personally, I prefer the smaller Christian church -- there's too much unrelated to the faith stuff going on [[and required) to sustain the mega church structure in the interest of retaining large congregants. Often very little exposition of the Bible is occurring. Money collection becomes the top-of-mind distraction.

Further, some mega churches have distorted doctrine in the interest of satisfying 'itching' ears - ala entertainment, etc.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-30-18 at 04:41 PM.

article from 2014 says 13 years under construction

The 5,000-seat Perfecting Church has been a construction site for nearly 13 years, with spurts of work completed as cash is raised.
    source

so the church floor is still dirt 17 years later

I did NOT realize that it has been that long! IMO, this clearly demonstrates that the congregation cannot sustain the construction of such a large building. Yet, they are too far in.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-30-18 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I did NOT realize that it has been that long! IMO, this clearly demonstrates that the congregation cannot sustain the construction of such a large building. Yet, they are too far in.
    yes I believe steel structure was in place around 03-04 when I came to town

The elements against raw steel? Goodness. This building is holding hands along with the unfinished jail downtown.

.... sell the naming rights to raise the capital? lol... never mind..

The building is currently being worked on. No more Tyvek.

Lighten up.... Nobody's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Lighten up.... Nobody's perfect.

In addition to the church building creeping up on two decades, perfecting was also in the news a few years ago for owning several blighted properties in the neighborhood surrounding the new building and elsewhere in the city. They were also mentioned in the city's crackdown on institutions with delinquent utility bills.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2014/11/2...blighted-homes
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ills/25436295/

nearly 20 years? that's just... silly.. would have been more responsible to get a solid proposal on all the costs, then wait until all the money is raised before starting construction. but hey, it's 'private money', so...

Maybe they're having a harder time scamming seniors. I remember my Grandma getting preyed on by her church, particularly when she had early dementia.

Gotta buy your way through the pearly gates; plus the good Reverend needs a new Porsche Cayenne.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    nearly 20 years? that's just... silly.. would have been more responsible to get a solid proposal on all the costs, then wait until all the money is raised before starting construction. but hey, it's 'private money', so...
    It's a means to an end. And that end is "fleecing money from naive and gullible people." If it never gets completed, that's fine, the "right" people are still getting their pockets lined. And if it does get completed, well, it's just that much easier to sell Prosperity Theology to people if you're preaching inside of a golden palace. "Put a dollar in the box!"

https://www.hulu.com/watch/267509

Give all you can, I need to upgrade to a Gulfstream V jet so I can more easily spread God's word around the world! The leather seats on my Gulfstream IV are starting to crack!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    it's our very own Ryugyong Hotel

Gulfstream and other shiny objects indeed. Not a member, and I refuse to support the Prosperity Theology paradigm. Nothing new, only more technology and rigor to promote and justify their ends. Many Christians are aware and critical of this movement and the edifices therein.

The Prosperity scene is not even that covert per se; the movement openly caters to the baser nature of some towards hyper materialism, envy et al - justified and boastful by wrapping it in religion. No thank you.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-18 at 09:21 AM.

Religion is bunk. With apologies to Henry Ford.

Showiness before men is bunk too as stated with no apologies by Christ, Matthew 6 etc. Hah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-18 at 09:19 AM.