Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Park Avenue Building to be Redeveloped

Per Crain's

• Rino Soave, founder of Infinity Homes & Co., buys downtown Detroit building
    • $7 million to $10 million redevelopment planned
    • Plans call for 75-100 apartments with 4,000-5,000 square feet of first-floor retail

Name:  ParkAvenueBuilding_i.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  78.0 KB

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-redevelopment
    Last edited by admin; April-28-18 at 07:34 AM.

Wonderful news and a bit surprising to me. Once I read about the bricks falling off, and after so many years of obscene neglect, I thought this building was likely to meet the fate of its demolished neighbor, the Sachs-owned Hotel Charlevoix.

And yet another decrepit structure NOT owned by the pizza folks manages to avoid the wrecking ball.

Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-27-18 at 06:19 PM.

About damn time. The fences covering Park and Adam's really get in the way of my commute.

Very excited to see this building renovated. Hopefully it keeps moving westward with those buildings on that block occupied. It's up to pizza-man to renovate his buildings on the western side of downtown now.

Damn! I figured once the bricks were falling the other day this one was doomed. Great news for another building on GCP. That's it for existing structures facing the park [[minus the UA which is set back a bit). It'd be nice if that UA parking lot facing the park has a development on there in the near future to completely fill it in, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

best of luck, hopefully this project can get started this summer.

Amazing.

There coming almost daily now...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    best of luck, hopefully this project can get started this summer.
    Huh? I read Curbed Detroit's blurb on this and they clearly say the owner isn't going to start until next year. He literally just brought the building. They've got to do all kinds of reviews on the thing before they can figure out exactly what it'll need.

In either case, property is becoming too valuable now to let these sit for too long, so I don't doubt for a minute this is happening. I know the folks next door in the recently renovated Briggs Houze are happy as hell about this. I always wondered how they felt about literally living next door to this building.

Wonderful. The last rotting tooth of Grand Circus is going to be crowned. All that remains is the Ilitch tooth Fine Arts Building being held together with a temporary filling and the missing tooth of the Tuller Hotel corner.

It is amazing to recall how Grand Circus and Capitol parks that were so recently ringed with rotting and declining structures will both be completely restored with in-filled additions.

Who'd a thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    In either case, property is becoming too valuable now to let these sit for too long, so I don't doubt for a minute this is happening. I know the folks next door in the recently renovated Briggs Houze are happy as hell about this. I always wondered how they felt about literally living next door to this building.
    As a resident and manager at Briggs Houze I can tell you we are ecstatic about this news! The Grand Circus area is rapidly changing into THE place to live for people working in downtown. Hope to see some of the Ilitch owned properties reactivated in the area soon.

If the Ilitch folks do get off their behinds to do something with the Fine Arts Facade, hopefully they will include in any development the parking lot between it and the Kales Building. This site used to be the 7 story Shurly Hospital. It was named after its chief of staff, Burt R. Shurly, M.D. It was also called the Detroit Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Hospital. It was located at 62 W. Adams and had a bed capacity of 120 patients. I believe it was torn down in the 1940s.

Dug up some more info on the Shurly Hospital, located between the Kales Building and Fine Arts Building at 62 W. Adams. The Shurly Hospital opened in 1915, and closed in 1948, as Dr. Shurly retired [[he died in 1950 at the age of 79). The building was torn down in 1949. Attached is an image of the former Adams theatre entrance 6 story Fine Arts Building [[now just a facade), the long ago demolished narrow 7 story Shurly Hospital, and 18 story Kales Building...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; April-30-18 at 03:26 AM.

What the building could look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The cornice in the photo has much bigger dentils than what currently exists. Is the current cornice part of the old cornice or did the current cornice replace the old cornice?

Anyone know what Briggs Houze rents for?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    It's up to pizza-man to renovate his buildings on the western side of downtown now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    That's it for existing structures facing the park [[minus the UA which is set back a bit). It'd be nice if that UA parking lot facing the park has a development on there in the near future to completely fill it in, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    All that remains is the Ilitch tooth Fine Arts Building being held together with a temporary filling and the missing tooth of the Tuller Hotel corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If the Ilitch folks do get off their behinds to do something with the Fine Arts Facade...
    As other properties are brought online their neglect becomes even more obvious.
    If only they felt an inkling of shame.

And too bad this area sits directly beside giant barriers to its future growth: the stadiums and their parking lots. And making it much less desirable, the floods of car traffic they bring.

Very happy to see the resurgence of the area.
    And no, before our resident Ilitch cheerleader says otherwise: it had nothing to do with the stadiums nearby.
    We can see already: the stadiums and the effort to clear property to create and serve them grossly limit this area's potential. They do not enhance it.
    Many already knew better more than 50 years ago.
    Please let's finally learn from our mistakes.
    Last edited by bust; April-30-18 at 12:02 AM.

There were workers on site at this location in the last few days, but now there is smoke coming from the building with a major DFD presence. I hope all is okay!

any update?

I dont see smoke anymore but DPD and DFD are both in the area of Park and Adams.

I heard a sizable convoy coming from engine co. 17 around that time. That must have been the reason.

It looks like the building is being powerwashed first

https://twitter.com/BacktoDetroit/status/1268343637039034368?s=20

I hope the Park Ave. Building be renovated, Since the COVID-19 Pandemic, loss of 20 percent of our economy and the housing market slowed down. It will a few years if we see development.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I hope the Park Ave. Building be renovated, Since the COVID-19 Pandemic, loss of 20 percent of our economy and the housing market slowed down. It will a few years if we see development.
    There’s been workers in the building nonstop since April.