Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hepatitis A Contagion: Detroit Metro Area should we be worried?

Hep A has a number of Government Officials and Agency's worried.
    National news has picked up on it. What actions have you taken?
    https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,588...7907--,00.html
    Last edited by admin; April-28-18 at 07:31 AM.

As I frequently travel to Mexico I've been vaccinated for both, but I sure would like to know why this is happening. IMO Lansing is really dropping the ball here by not being more proactive in mandating vaccinations for those working in food preparation. It's fairly inexpensive and would save lives and probably money in the long run.

Just asking but why is Macomb the highest amounts of cases? Larger population?

There's a vaccine. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There was a documented outbreak at a Warren Buffalo Wild Wings, which may account for that statistic.

Hepatitis outbreaks tend to follow drug usage, and drug use in Macomb has been increasing quickly over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Hepatitis outbreaks tend to follow drug usage, and drug use in Macomb has been increasing quickly over the past few years.
    Hepatitis A is a food-borne illness that has nothing to do with drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Hepatitis A is a food-borne illness that has nothing to do with drug use.
    Yes, and outbreaks correlate with drug use according to this article:

Drug users are at risk of contracting the infection [[Hepatitis A) for at least three reasons: route of infection, by injection and sex, poor housing conditions, and the higher probability of being jailed. Possible HAV infection can have high clinical severity because of the frequent presence of chronic HCV infection, often being worsened by alcohol abuse.

Ugh. My wife and I along with our two young nieces ate at the BW3 in Warren during the dates which was one of the places and times identified as having a problem. No issues reported with our health but I guess that is a risk that we all take when dining out at restaurants.

Actually, if you add Detroit & Wayne County together, Wayne County has the most.