Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lakeshore Global building in New Center to be Redeveloped

The Albert Khan designed, Lakeshore Global Building on the corner of Woodward and Grand Blvd has been purchased by The Platform to redevelop. Key piece of info is that it came with over 4 acres of surface parking which they can build out if they want to.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...nter/34239151/

Surely this building has a mid-century bastardization, right? I am shocked that this is an Albert Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Surely this building has a mid-century bastardization, right? I am shocked that this is an Albert Khan.
    My thoughts exactly. Beat me to it.

The Platform Group is emerging as a legitimate 2nd player in development in The City of Detroit with a specialization outside of the downtown area.

Godspeed and good health to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Please click on the below link to the see the original façade of that building. The building is in the background

https://detroit.curbed.com/2015/5/28...uys-new-center

Another old picture of the building in this one.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/4/25...enter-building

It is an absolute shame that someone did that to such a good looking building. I've been by there hundreds of times and never knew how beautiful it once was.

That building is historically more properly known as the Ford Service Building or the Boulevard Building. Built in 1910 for Ford's sales and service division, it was the first large building in the New Center area. It didn't last long as a Ford facility, and became home to the Wayne County Savings Bank for many years.

It was monumentally vandalized by none other than the State of Michigan, who took the building over in the 1960s for the state Labor Department, which remained there into the '80s.

The lobby though is still pretty much original, and beautiful:

[[From: Love in the D)
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-25-18 at 04:13 PM.

This used to be called the "Boulevard Building" when it opened in 1910 by Ford Motor Co., and was 4 stories tall. In 1913 an additional 4 floors were seamlessly added for a total of 8 floors.

What are the odds that the old facade is still under there?

I can't imagine the old facade is there. This looks like they deconstructed the old facade and built a new facade on the frame, but I'm just guessing.

I'd never known this was a historic building. But looking at that old picture, it looks rather generic even for the time in which is was built.

What happened to the DPD offices that were in there? Did they all get consolidated into the new HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What happened to the DPD offices that were in there? Did they all get consolidated into the new HQ?
    they moved down the street to W. grand and the service drive of the lodge

The Platform confirmed on their Facebook page that the facade was in fact removed. I will be curious to see what they come up with. Their new projects definitely have a distinctly modern look to them, I wonder if something similar is in store for this building.