Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Willis Show Bar to reopen Friday

I'm too young to have visited, any memories of the original?

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...dor/537441002/

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

Best history is via the 'oral tradition.' Let me explain.

Dick Purtan [[hope I spelled his name correct) used to love to talk about that part of the Cass Corridor decades ago. I was at WSU and there weren't many radio stations. Assume it was WXYZ [[was that the name of the radio station?).

I don't remember any specific remarks about the Willis but he had a great one about the nearby Anderson Gardens: "Beer and Wine. Entertainment to go" which was a play on "Entertainment. Beer and wine to go." Everyone knew what the 'entertainment to go' meant.

What someone today would need to remember is that the area was far off the beaten path of WSU. The revitalized Midtown we see today was hardly glorious back then. WSU stiudents didn't think a 1/2 mile north of campus was an up and coming area where they could go for coffee or a meal.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-23-18 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

I was in there a couple of times in the late '70s before it was shut down for good. By that time the place was a real throwback, with an "exotics" stage show straight out of the '40s or '50s, where the dancers in worn threadbare costumes would move slowly while stripping to the music from a very tired jazz organist trio, and an ancient MC would tell moldy old dirty "jokes" between acts. The stage, such as it was, was on a raised platform behind the bar. The dancing "girls" [[most of them really too old to be called that) would work the few patrons hard between the shows, along with the prostitutes who wandered in off the street to try to work the bar.

It was both a sadder and more interesting scene than Anderson's [[and a blacker scene too). Anderson's, which I was also in a few times, was more like a very active regular bar where you could also get something [[someone, that is) "to go" from the "active" end of the bar or the tables. The other side of the bar, and the pool table area, it seemed were generally understood to be off-limits to the "trade". Actually, a lot of cops went in there before the courts declared the place a public nuisance.

I wonder how much of the interior of the Willis Show Bar is still intact? It was very '40s 'moderne' inside [[similar to Cliff Bell's), with low slung ceilings, recessed lighting, enameled and chromed surfaces, shiny surfaced banquettes, and glass brick windows. All of which would be perfect for the sort of retro club it sounds like they want to turn it into.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-23-18 at 07:17 PM.

Nice pic of Chief Hart. 'got this key righ er...can have it back when the cocktails are $20'

Props to E.S. Al...loving your articulation of the scene. I'm digging the imagry................. Probably the most awesome thing the owners could concieve [[sure they wouldn't agree) would be to recreate it for opening night...w/ actors of course...rent couple of pimpmobiles for the curb. Tired jazz organist trio...nice!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I wonder how much of the interior of the Willis Show Bar is still intact? It was very '40s 'moderne' inside [[similar to Cliff Bell's), with low slung ceilings, recessed lighting, enameled and chromed surfaces, shiny surfaced banquettes, and glass brick windows. All of which would be perfect for the sort of retro club it sounds like they want to turn it into.
    The freep says the restored the curved ceiling. The gallery shows only a couple shots of the interior, but it looks fairly moderne.

Default Detroit burlesque

Went to Cass Tech 1963-66, would pass the Willis taking the Third Ave. bus. I always wondered what when on in there and the other burlesque clubs.Name:  0-third4152.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  23.7 KBName:  1-flame shoe bar.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  73.3 KBName:  2-empress.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  99.0 KBName:  goldollarto.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  235.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Went to Cass Tech 1963-66, would pass the Willis taking the Third Ave. bus. I always wondered what when on in there and the other burlesque clubs.Name:  0-third4152.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  23.7 KBName:  1-flame shoe bar.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  73.3 KBName:  2-empress.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  99.0 KBName:  goldollarto.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  235.3 KB
    LOL ha ha ha ! those names at the Gold Dollar Show bar ! LOL