Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default 2018 Detroit Lions

Flashback: It's 2002 & with the 3rd pick, the Detroit Lions select QB Joey Harrington.....bust!

With the upcoming draft & one-dimensional offense w/a critical need of a running game that's currently rated dead last, will the SOLions select an offense or defense player in the 1st round?

Strong rumors of selecting the "best player" no matter what position they play sounds very familiar, been there/done that many times before.....carry on.

One thing I'm not buying into this year is that our offensive line is going to be improved with our current personnel [[Decker gets an injury pass). We may be in need of a running back, but I didn't see any athleticism, speed, or strength out of the current cast of characters. The only thing for sure is that they're all a year older. For that reason, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Guard Hernandez from UTEP, if he's still available. Besides that, it's defensive line all the way.

Looking at the newly released 2018 schedule, those two outside games at Buffalo and Green Bay in December will probably decide our season's fate....and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Looking at the newly released 2018 schedule, those two outside games at Buffalo and Green Bay in December will probably decide our season's fate....and not in a good way.
    The way the Lions schedule falls is pretty bad, and that ending stretch is just brutal for a team that has problems winning on the road and a serious inability to win outdoors in any sort of adverse weather. Even if they are still in contention after Thanksgiving, it's going to be pretty damn hard to hold on through that December schedule with 3 out of 5 games on the road [[2 in cold weather) and 2 home games against defending division champions.

Draft: D-Line, O-line, D-Line, O-Line...

Let Patricia plug and play RB by platoon for a year so we can all see his genius!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Draft: D-Line, O-line, D-Line, O-Line...

Let Patricia plug and play RB by platoon for a year so we can all see his genius!
    Who said he was a genius? Let's pump the brakes a bit. This guy has never been a HC before, regardless if he worked for one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Who said he was a genius? Let's pump the brakes a bit. This guy has never been a HC before, regardless if he worked for one of the best.
    Just some sarcasm.....

Draft Rd1: Fail [[pick 20)

With the exception of 32-yr old Blount, the same ole rushing dudes who produced the NFL's worse run game last year & ranked no better than 28th since 2014. SOLions: "Let's pick a center"......really?

NE Patriots: Pick 31, RB Sony Michel, he can block, especially against the blitz. Add that in to all of the other parts to his game, and he has the tools and the skills to potentially be the best back in the draft.
    Last edited by Smirnoff; April-27-18 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    "Let's pick a center"......really?
    You mean a center that many had rated as the top interior lineman in the draft? The guy that didn't give up a single sack throughout his entire college career, which was like 2,500 snaps? The one that it was widely known both the Bengals and Patriots were targeting within the next three picks?

I'm fine with the pick. The offensive line is only as good as it's worst player. If they didn't make this pick, then they'd likely have taken a raw player somewhere later in the draft, which would have had them then move Glasgow to center and have his guard position taken by some rotation featuring Kenny Wiggins, who is rated the 70th of 77 guards, and Joe Dahl, who does a great impression of a statue when he's on the field.

Back when the Lions were taking receivers and tight ends all the time, people complained that they didn't address the lines and said that if they wanted to win, they needed to build from the trenches. Now that they're doing that, it's still no good?

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Back when the Lions were taking....
    Fact;

2017: Offense ranked 25th, Rushing 32nd [[last)
    2016: Offense ranked 22th, Rushing 30th [[close to last)
    2015: Offense ranked 23th, Rushing 32nd [[last)

Instead of "the need", again they selected "best available", Millen's MO....center's can be picked-up later in the draft, much later.....

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    You mean a center that many had rated as the top interior lineman in the draft? The guy that didn't give up a single sack throughout his entire college career, which was like 2,500 snaps? The one that it was widely known both the Bengals and Patriots were targeting within the next three picks?

I'm fine with the pick. The offensive line is only as good as it's worst player. If they didn't make this pick, then they'd likely have taken a raw player somewhere later in the draft, which would have had them then move Glasgow to center and have his guard position taken by some rotation featuring Kenny Wiggins, who is rated the 70th of 77 guards, and Joe Dahl, who does a great impression of a statue when he's on the field.

Back when the Lions were taking receivers and tight ends all the time, people complained that they didn't address the lines and said that if they wanted to win, they needed to build from the trenches. Now that they're doing that, it's still no good?
    I completely agree. They might have added the last missing piece of the OL without having to shuffle players to new positions, etc.

RB seems a strong position for the 2nd round. If I were the Lions I'd watch to see how the top of the 2nd round goes, and if possible go for the 2nd RB in the 2nd round to go off the board. Don't know how many spots the Lions would have to trade up. Both Guice and Chubb have mid to low 1st round grades so they wouldn't be reaching or over paying.

My philosophy is quite simple: If a team has a franchise QB, I'd rather put my assets on offense and pray for the defense, rather than have a good defense and pray my QB isn't treated like a rag doll by opposing defenses.

I hope you guys are right about Ragnow. I had Lynn Boden flashbacks while watching that pick.

Most analysts had Billy Price of Ohio State as the better pick at center. He went next at 21 to Cincinnati. Still a odd pick to me, you can get a center later in the draft. Either way, they shore up a need I guess. They don't draft again until #51 in the second round. I suppose that RB Guise from LSU will be gone by then, unless they trade up.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-27-18 at 11:22 AM.

I doubt Guice or Chubb are available when Lions pick in 2nd round, but if they are, they HAVE to pick one. Guice, in particular, is an angry, punishing runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I doubt Guice or Chubb are available when Lions pick in 2nd round, but if they are, they HAVE to pick one. Guice, in particular, is an angry, punishing runner.
    I agree although this mock has Chubb available to the Lions and Hurst in the 3rd.

IF those two things happen the Lions throw a party tonight... An OL, RB, and DT, at 1, 2, and 3 rounds.

As far as Hurst, the Lions should be able to do their homework. I assume he was one of the 'locals' the Lions were able to work out recently or visit with.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...b19ubs1j31oxi8

Good thing the Lions craftily beat out Cincinnati for that center the Bengals really wanted, forcing them to draft that other center. That should keep the Lions a bit ahead of the Bengals, and will hopefully give them an edge when they play Cincinnati...

...every four years.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-27-18 at 02:09 PM.

BTW, I had taped Mike Mayock's mock draft from yesterday, and, indeed, he had Ragnow going to Cincy at pick #21.

There is 'indisputable visual evidence' on my DVR.

So much for "in the trenches"...

Lions trade with N.E. to move up to #43 to take Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson. They passed on Guice who for some reason dropped to the Redskins at #59. Johnson is a good back, watched him a few times last year vs Georgia and Alabama.

The first play they showed of Ragnow during the draft was him blowing up Alabama's D tackle that went 13th overall. Then I just thought the name Frank Ragnow just has the sound of a hall of fame center!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakewayj View Post
    The first play they showed of Ragnow during the draft was him blowing up Alabama's D tackle that went 13th overall. Then I just thought the name Frank Ragnow just has the sound of a hall of fame center!
    I have no problem with Ragnow, and maybe even Kerryon. DB Walker isn't a third rounder, despite what Lions brass may think. Round 4 Da'Shawn Hand may be OK, but I like the 7th round pick Nick Bawden. Bringing a tight end back to the Lions may be their best move. And, he's a former HS quarterback, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I have no problem with Ragnow, and maybe even Kerryon. DB Walker isn't a third rounder, despite what Lions brass may think. Round 4 Da'Shawn Hand may be OK, but I like the 7th round pick Nick Bawden. Bringing a tight end back to the Lions may be their best move. And, he's a former HS quarterback, to boot.

I thought Bawden was a FB?

Shouldn't be too hard on them. After all, most of the great cathedrals of Europe took decades, or centuries, to complete. Even in this country some big churches have taken quite some time to complete. Blessed Sacrament here in Detroit took 38 years to finish. The Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC was started in 1892 and is still quite a ways from being done.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard on them. After all, most of the great cathedrals of Europe took decades, or centuries, to complete. Even in this country some big churches have taken quite some time to complete. Blessed Sacrament here in Detroit took 38 years to finish. The Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC was started in 1892 and is still quite a ways from being done.
    The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception took 100 years to complete.

There is a Basilica in Spain which have been worked on longer I think. I've forgotten the details.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    So you're saying if the Lions rebuild takes another 30-40 years that's not bad?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    So you're saying if the Lions rebuild takes another 30-40 years that's not bad?
    Some of the greatest European cathedrals took around 500 years, so I'm thinking we ignore the next 490 or so drafts.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast