Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What is it between the Mayor and City Airport?

A few weeks ago it was revealed that the city commissioned an evaluation of the condition of the Coleman A Young Municipal Airport. The consultant that performed the evaluation recommended that the Airport should remain an airport and that money should be spent on improving the airport. This recommendation was removed from the final report at the request of the city administration.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...etroit-airport

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...ort-in-service

Now, it was reported that The City of Detroit recently turned down a $4-million offer from private investors to build a modern terminal and hangars at the long-neglected Coleman A. Young International Airport.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ort/494461002/

The Mayor seems hell-bent on redeveloping the airport for industrial uses. Why is he disregarding recommendations from consultants and offers to fix up the airport?

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this. As is the cliche, someone should be following the money. Maybe there is some large company looking for the land? I don't get it. It's not like there isn't ample space in the nearby I-94 industrial park. The city isn't exactly hurting for large tracts of land to be used for light industry if that's what he's looking for.

So what's the deal? Usually, administrations at least try to come up with some fake narrative as to why they aren't doing anything, but Duggan doesn't really look like he's trying to to even that. I share you confusion.

Could it be that $4 million is minuscule amount of infrastructure for control of a Major Urban airport? Yes, we need investment, but at loss of what?

Before we have to move anymore cemetery's, lets get a concrete business plan. We are now in the era of passenger drones. Let's make use of that.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-23-18 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Could it be that $4 million is minuscule amount of infrastructure for control of a Major Urban airport? Yes, we need investment, but at loss of what?

Before we have to move anymore cemetery's, lets get a concrete business plan. We are now in the era of passenger drones. Let's make use of that.
    It would be much more cost effective to shift the main runway a few hundred feet to the west than relocate the cemetery. Currently the airport is a money loser. If, however, the runway was relocated [[which would still be expensive) and the airport was then opened up to more corporate jet type uses from downtown businesses... it might be possible to return it to profitability.

The runway could be realigned as to run directly to the West of the cemetery south of the current runway. Not that there’s anything in the adjacent neighborhood to the West anyway. I could see a small “el cheapo” airline [[Frontier? Allegiant?) make a small focus city there to serve Macomb County residents who don’t want to drive all the way to DTW.