Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fire in Boston Edison

From earlier today:

https://wwjnews.radio.com/articles/c...dison-district

Witnesses have told WWJ Newsradio 950 that two houses are on fire. One appears to be along Woodward Avenue near Harmon Street, and the other at the corner of Boston Boulevard and Brush Street.

Correct. The one on Boston was occupied.

I went by there [[could smell it from my work)

505 Boston was listed as up for foreclosure auction. Not sure if that info is current,.. or if it recently sold to new owner. Zillow shows no record of any sales,.. ever.
    Last edited by Bigdd; April-21-18 at 02:58 PM.

The home is located at 505 East Boston. East of Woodward at Brush.

I drove by about 5 pm, the smoke was thick up to Highland Park. House appeared to be occupied, kids toys in back. Smoldering out the back, the turret still blazing in front. House around block looks recently gutted, too. Neighborhood of big houses, multiple families or large families in one house, etc., people living like that in that area since the '70s.

Fox 2 posted a story.

Very sad, but a damn good thing that it appears that no one was inside at the time.

It's this house:
    http://historicdetroit.org/house/fra...ton-boulevard/

Streetview shot:
    Name:  boston blvd e 505.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  171.3 KB
    Historic shot:

It's a Louis Kamper designed house, and will be a real shame to lose if it can't be repaired. It bears some stylistic resemblance to Kamper's own house on Iroquois in Indian Village that was built a couple of years later.

Wow, so sad to here about this fire. It is interesting that so many home had those sorta hideous exterior awning shades. Even high rise building downtown had them.

Fire sounds suspicious to me. Does any one know the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ... It is interesting that so many home had those sorta hideous exterior awning shades. Even high rise building downtown had them.
    Before air conditioning, the last thing you'd want is sun shining in a window. But you knew that.

That house appeared to be in real rough shape before the fire. If there is any insurance coverage I would bet it isn’t enough.

The day after the fire the roof was covered with blue tarp and all the windows were boarded, even the 2nd floor. Seems to indicate insurance coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by majorsotano View Post
    The day after the fire the roof was covered with blue tarp and all the windows were boarded, even the 2nd floor. Seems to indicate insurance coverage.
    I saw that too, replacement cost coverage for a house that size, in that zip code would be very expensive and not easy to find. I’m thinking about 20K per year premiums. Not to say there isn’t some type of actual cash value or agreed value coverage in place.