Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DetroitYes

Default DetroitYes

Hello Everyone,

I joined this forum for an online community project for a university course I am taking. I just wanted to say my experience has been amazing mostly because of the members of this community. Going through comment sections on MLive, Curbed, and online papers I have never seen the respect for one another displayed like I have here at DetroitYes.

As a native Michigander finishing school at UNLV before moving back to Michigan and having a great interest in Detroit, this site has kept me updated and informed on current issues. The optimism and love for Detroit in this community is evident. Thank you!

The word is not Michigander. The word is Michiganian. You're welcome from me in Henderson.

Hello Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The word is not Michigander. The word is Michiganian. You're welcome from me in Henderson.

Haha the never ending debate. They should put it on the ballot this year

Ray....

As I understand it, both are correct. My own opinion? I like Michigander.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakewayj View Post
    Just be happy it ain't "meshugenner". That's all I have to say for now, and I won't add any emoticons to sweeten things up either.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Ray....

As I understand it, both are correct. My own opinion? I like Michigander.
    Was a columnist in the Freep decades ago [[can't recall his name....Judd Arnett, maybe?) who objected to being called the equivalent of a goose, as in gander, so proposed Michiganian. But, as you say, I suppose neither option is wrong. Fun thing, really....something I would much rather debate rather than the state of the FBI or North Korea.

Hello Everyone,

I joined this forum for an online community project for a university course I am taking.
    Really?

A 'university course' on discussion boards? I've been on boards almost since there were boards back in the 90s. Where's my Doctorate?

And why does 'back in the 90s' sound ancient?

Michiganian used to be the more common term, as Ray probably remembers. Today, I hear and read Michigander way more. Still, either one sounds better than Ohioan.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Just be happy it ain't "meshugenner".
    Oy!

Jakewayj you praise the respect for one another displayed on this forum then go on to troll the forum by igniting the Michigander-Michiganian feud! Just kidding!! Welcome back home. Ray1936 will keep us covered as our correspondent from Sin City.

I'm a Michigander. I like the self-deprecating humor and uniqueness of that ending. Were not just another name-your-state-ian or -er.

State of Michigan had a Congressional vote; they say we're Michiganders.
    https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...t-michiganians

Google found about 263,000 references to "Michiganian" and about 580,000 references to "Michigander."

My spellchecker flags "Michiganian" but not "Michigander."

The Wikipedia article on "Michigander" claims that "Michigander" was coined by Abraham Lincoln as a derogatory descriptor for Lewis Cass.

A 2011 poll indicated 58% of Michigan residents preferred Michigander, compared to 12% for Michiganian, with 12% having no preference, and 11% not liking either term.
    My preference? Just don't call me "late for dinner."

I prefer "just north of Detroit-er"

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Really?

A 'university course' on discussion boards? I've been on boards almost since there were boards back in the 90s. Where's my Doctorate?

I clearly stated that this is just a project for the course, not the entire course itself. If you would like to know what the course itself is, its Civic Engagement in Urban Communities. Since I am in Las Vegas but am interested in Detroit and cannot volunteer there I opted for the online community paper. For the project I am observing/interacting on the board and then writing a 10-12 page paper on my experience.

The whole course isn't just this one project, and doesn't mean I haven't taken 100+ other credits and paid thousands of my own dollars to earn by bachelor of science degree.

But I will be sure to dedicate a sentence or two in my paper to reflect on what you contributed to my experience. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jakewayj; April-21-18 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Michiganian sounds weird because typically if the name of a place ends with a consonant then the denonym ends in -er/ar [[New Yorker, Vermonter, Rhode Islander). Places ending in -a tend to have denonyms with -ian endings [[California, South Carolina, Alabamian).

ETA: -n endings seem to be the exception to the "rule on consonant endings. There are two other state names in the U.S. that ends in -n, and neither uses the -er/-ar convention [[Washingtonians, Wisconsinites).
    Last edited by iheartthed; April-21-18 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Really?

Online communities should be studied. People find common interests with strangers. Things are said here that we would never tolerate in real life - how long until someone got punched at your local bar, if they said what's in some of these posts? Yet people keep coming back.

Outside of the Internet we choose who we surround ourselves with,generally positive people produces positive results.

Religion and politics, Internet or not, have always been hot topics that usually do not end well so that is a given.

In general discussion forums you have a diverse group of participants and that includes people that you would not normally deal with.

More specific forums where the users are there for common ground are very informative with helping others and the sharing of information,this being a Detroit specific website you would think that the common ground would be what is best for the city and those who live in it,but there is still going to be differing views on how to get there and there will always be some who would prefer it not to get there.

People post comments based on a multitude of reasons,personal experiences,feelings,been there done that etc. but there is a tendency to read into more then what is being said,in real life there is body language and for the most part you are dealing with people that you know and know when they are being sarcastic etc without having to post a little smiley face to convey,and bullies will be bullies on the internet and off.

On-line forums of all types are pretty much past their peak. Just about every forum I participate in has seen a decline in use over the last 5 years or so. Media comment sections are either being deleted, or more heavily monitored.

The return of 'gander as opposed to 'ganian was caused by the return of control to the Republicans. You might remember the original problem being that 'gander suggested to some people that we're all of the male species. Didn't help the cause when we elected our first female Governor. Once the Repubs got control of the State Houses and the governor's office, there was an immediate push to return us to the good ole days.

This thread in itself demonstrates one aspect of the problems with on-line forums. People guessed the facts, people gave their opinions, while two people posted the only fact. We are currently legally Michiganders, yet no one bothered to apologized for presenting false facts, or thanked or quoted the two people that presented the only legal fact answer to that question. Instead, we prefer to reference and trust internet data like 'google hits', person opinion, or those of your tribe or others' personal opinion of choice you opt to agree with. The truth erodes to become nothing more than another opinion with seemingly equal weight.

I seem to recall a state tourism advertising campaign many years ago that coined the phrase Michigander. If I remeber correctly, it used a cartoon goose [[or gander).

So did they figure Michigander out because it sounds good and fits?most other states are under the ian aspect,which would not look so good tacked on the end of Michigan.

On a larger scale we refer to ourselves as earthlings.

I suspect astronauts secretly refer to everyone else as earthlubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    The truth erodes to become nothing more than another opinion with seemingly equal weight.
    Ah. But if it's on the internet, it has to be true.

I'm glad you like this community. A HUGE THANKS to Lowell and anyone else involved in hosting our discussions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast