Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default is it as bad as everyone says? questions

Hi All,

We have been reading posts here for about a year. We have seen optimism, and a lot of pessimism. Some say run, never move to Detroit, others say lets try to heal it, some seem like they are trapped. I have read that Detroit is like a post apocalyptic movie.

We have visited and found the area fantastic! It seems like most other major cities in a lot of ways. Some conditions are better and worse. The people seem fantastic on a whole.

Here is a question for the restorationist [[one who buys an old home like BE and is used to living in tough neighborhood) Is there hope? Can someone who loves old homes, is white, used to inner cities [[well the inner city of 20 years ago), find a camaraderie to make some sort of difference. Will things change? Will change be for the better,or worse? I am seeking answers from those who live in the trenches, those who have homes in BE, IV etc. Does the city hassle you? Are you targets of crime? It seems that the economic conditions will deteriorate and desperation will force these neighborhoods to become attractive targets. What does it take to survive in these areas? Are classic cars more of a target?

general questions:

Will property taxes come down as sale prices adjust?
    Is it true Detroit charges 3% residency tax and 3% income tax? If so what do you have to submit to them?
    What is a ACR that people have to sign when buying a house?

It seems the city government is so completely out of touch with everything. The thread about illegal business seems to be evidence that two distinct systems exist.
    Survival vs legal destruction. There is no seeming way anyone can survive with all the restrictive regulations.

Is there a lot of estate/auto/general auctions in the city and surrounding areas?

Are there a lot of mosquitoes?

For all of you is there any hope to return the city to a reasonably functioning entity?

What would it take and is it possible?

Thanks to everyone for their responses, and commitment to this sight.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoodKING View Post
    I have great faith in this region and the city as well.. I am tired of the doom and gloom present so much in this region from blogsites to trainwreck driven news media outlets in the region..

I found it revealing the nasty and angry folks I encountered in Birmingham this past weekend the bulk were old white folks not young whites...That is a good sign and promise..

I find the young white ones much more pliable. They will often do some kinky shit once you have them in bed. it' the old ones that prude the shit up. The young bitches though are hot as all hell.

Shit, I could tell you stories from my days in college that would curl your toes. Good times, good times.

Good Luck.

crawford Guest

Stay in the hood, HoodKing.

Those supposedly "angry and nasty" Birmingham folks don't want you ruining their community too.

Sorry I was asking legitimate questions, no fake post here!

There are a lot of skeeters if you live by standing water. Therefore, don't buy a place near a pond or a big pile of old tires. Some skeeters can grow to up to 2 feet in length. One of the great things about living in Detroit are the places where you can buy skeeter on a stick. I like mine with BBQ others swear by butter.

Is it bad here? Yes.

Is it much different here than it was ten years ago? Yes, but not really. Many homes in foreclosure. Lots of people out of work. Lot's of people working though. When it sucks here it is still much better than most towns. Just doing bad for Detroit levels of opportunity. If you're looking for work this isn't the place.

Fewer people on the roads now. That's a plus

Does Michigan have everything to offer in the way of natural resources as it always did? Yes.

Are the mosquitoes bad? Depends where you are. But that's not different than any other place. Seems like south of the city, they are bad. Haven't noticed them being bad anywhere else.

Will the city proper be revitalized? That's the 64 thousand dollar question. Depends on the leadership and when every burgeoning upstart indy film maker, the media and people in general stop talking about how bad it is here. Any town could be portrayed in a negative light. There are a lot of positive things happening too. Riverwalk, Belle Isle, etc.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; August-27-09 at 04:09 PM.

To answer the original poster in a very short little snippet, it's all location. I live in a functional neighborhood with little to no outside foot traffic and all is well here. My boyfriend lived on a very rough street downtown and life there was bleak and dangerous. The type of place where any little noise has you reaching for your shotgun and you sleep with one eye open. His particular situation was rather extreme, so just be careful in selecting your location. He had a dream of restoration, but had a chance to get out, and jumped on it. Select your location very carefully. If you don't live locally, you could probably get sound advice on particular neighborhoods on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post

To answer the original poster in a very short little snippet, it's all location. I live in a functional neighborhood with little to no outside foot traffic and all is well here. My boyfriend lived on a very rough street downtown and life there was bleak and dangerous. The type of place where any little noise has you reaching for your shotgun and you sleep with one eye open. His particular situation was rather extreme, so just be careful in selecting your location. He had a dream of restoration, but had a chance to get out, and jumped on it. Select your location very carefully. If you don't live locally, you could probably get sound advice on particular neighborhoods on this website.

Just reading these grim tales about living in Detroit makes me wonder if I really live in Detroit. Now don't get me wrong. I know there some rough areas in the "D" but some people have to insert hyperbole when it comes to Detroit and I say nonsense. Detroit is just like every big city. If you have poor, you gonna have crime, period. If you think Detroit is bad, you don't want to go to Chicago or Los Angeles or even San Francisco. Detroit is not a city of angels but we are not all devils either.

Well, I did say his situation was extreme. I did not insert hyperbole. I would give more details but I don't think it is necessary. I don't have anything to prove. He lived it, I know what he went through and that's it.

the city of angels has a lot of devils too! We were in an area of great old homes, lots of Craftsman, and victorian jewels. Detroit has a way better architectural stock. The National Trust even scratches its head at the needless destruction mentality in D. I really want an BE type home again, I miss the type of people that live in the inner city.

My boyfriend lived a stone's throw from one of the architectural jewels of the city, The Masonic Temple. I believe this is the biggest masonic temple in the world. Temple Street has been absolute devastation for years, would you want to live next door to the Temple Motel? No. But trust me, soon Temple Street will look much different. The motel will be gone [[good riddance) and the area will be developed. There are many positive developments happening within the city, to be sure. Here are a couple of nice olds shots that show the beauty of the temple:
    http://www.themasonic.com/history.html#history
    Last edited by bumble; August-28-09 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRALR View Post
    No. But there used to be bunches of them.

Man, Detroit is so tough even the skeeters are leaving.

When we visited we spoke with some people who were supers in a historic building downtown. They were adamant about the massive corruption in the city government. The city reflects a sickness at the head. Even with the tax base, which is extortionate, the city should have more than enough funds to operate. Take a neighborhood with homes paying three, four, five, thousand or more per home, the take is substantial. It seems like waste is the order of the day.

We see beautiful buildings, schools, churches, libraries, and more just going to waste. There seems to be no leadership, no one wants to take care of what they have. It is insane!

There is a tube video made in 1965 that shows an optimistic film chronicling Detroit's present and bright future.

WHAT HAPPENED!

I lived in Detroit for the first half of my life. Over the years, I've worked in the CBD for over ten years - on and off. Currently I am once again working downtown. I love it. I would strongly consider looking for an apartment downtown except for one thing. I'm a middle aged white woman who would be living alone. I would not feel safe at night. Perhaps if I could afford to live in one of the newer high rises with secure parking, it would be different. As much as I love the city and all it has to offer - entertainment, culture, dining, etc. - it can't offer me the security I feel going home to the suburbs at night.

Now, if any of you feel safe where you live, that's great. I've never been one of those 'doom & gloom' people saying 'you should be afraid' to go into Detroit. I just prefer not to live there. Well, based on where 'I' could afford to live, anyway.

Quote: "video made in 1965 that shows an optimistic film chronicling Detroit's present and bright future.

WHAT HAPPENED!""

The 67 Riots. Seems the city has been dying ever since.

Retroit Guest

First of all, if you have any aspirations of improving the city as a whole, don't waste your time. If you just want to live in a nice old home in the most dangerous city in America and are willing to throw away money by paying taxes, welcome.

[[And if you're more concerned about the mosquitoes than the people, forget it! )

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "video made in 1965 that shows an optimistic film chronicling Detroit's present and bright future.

WHAT HAPPENED!""

The 67 Riots. Seems the city has been dying ever since.
    It's not quite that easy. The city's population started declining in the early 1950s as suburban sprawl took off. The riots didn't help, but they were only one part of the problem.

A quick note, Detroit's population started its fall in 1956, the year streetcar service ended and the freeways were being built.

lilpup Guest

It started a few years earlier than that - 1951 or 1952 was peak population.

Hi All,

We have been reading posts here for about a year. We have seen optimism, and a lot of pessimism. Some say run, never move to Detroit, others say lets try to heal it, some seem like they are trapped. I have read that Detroit is like a post apocalyptic movie.

We have visited and found the area fantastic! It seems like most other major cities in a lot of ways. Some conditions are better and worse. The people seem fantastic on a whole.

Here is a question for the restorationist [[one who buys an old home like BE and is used to living in tough neighborhood) Is there hope? Can someone who loves old homes, is white, used to inner cities [[well the inner city of 20 years ago), find a camaraderie to make some sort of difference.
    From what I hear, Boston Edison is racially diverse. In practice, I'm not sure. I live a few blocks away, and I drive through it once in awhile, but I never see anyone outside. I did see a lot of white people moving into the neighborhood where my house is [[just south of Boston Edison). My girlfriend is white, and she gets stared-up-and-down/disrespected everywhere we go: gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, its sad because it seems like that's the norm. Its inherent in the inner-city culture. It's a big turn off if you're a white female or have a wife/girlfriend/daughter and etc.

Will things change? Will change be for the better,or worse? I am seeking answers from those who live in the trenches, those who have homes in BE, IV etc.
    Things will change. Unfortunately, it will get worse before better. If you are willing to ride out the storm, you could come out on top. The problem is, no one knows how long this storm will be or even if any of us will still be alive to see the end of it.

Does the city hassle you? Are you targets of crime? It seems that the economic conditions will deteriorate and desperation will force these neighborhoods to become attractive targets.
    Keep in mind historic districts such as BE and IV are not just targets for the city to hassle you but for the other home owner's as well. You are restricted to what you can do, and what you can't do. And many times, your only options are extremely expensive.

What does it take to survive in these areas? Are classic cars more of a target?
    Keep in mind there are not many retailers in the area. The majority of your shopping would be done in the suburbs or in Eastern Market. Are classic cars a target? Depends what you have. Be cautious of an in-car entertainment [[audio systems, TB's and etc). Aftermarket wheel theft is very common, even in the better areas. Most thieves aren't attracted to subtle modifications. As far as imports, be very careful if you own a Honda, the majority of these end up in SW Detroit as burned up shells. Get used to extremely high insurance [[whether its car insurance or home insurance).

general questions:

Will property taxes come down as sale prices adjust?
    No, if anything, property taxes will actually go up. To accommodate the same budget, with lower property values, the already high millage rate would have to increase.

What is a ACR that people have to sign when buying a house?
    ACR stands for Affidavit of Compliance Responsibility. Once you want to go ahead and buy the house, you must have a pre-sale inspection through the city. They will give you a long laundry list of things you must complete and permits associated with it. You must complete all the work and have it inspected before you can legally move in. You can apply for a Temporary Occupancy if the work needed is minor.

It seems the city government is so completely out of touch with everything.
    Welcome to the city.

Surprisingly, no. Keep in mind that there is a higher risk of catching bloodbourne diseases such as HIV/AIDs through mosquitos in Detroit simply because a higher population of carriers live within the city.

For all of you is there any hope to return the city to a reasonably functioning entity? What would it take and is it possible?
    Cutting city services to blocks with single houses and deannexation. The city must become small again, before it could grow, it is the only way. Would this happen though? Probably not.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, and commitment to this sight.

Not a problem. Feel free to ask anymore, and we will try our best to field your questions.

-Tahleel

Also, if you want to live in a nice old house, my advice would be to save your money/time/hassle and go elsewhere. This is from someone who lived within the city for over two decades. You can find nice foreclosed homes in other areas such as the Grosse Pointes, Royal Oak, and Dearborn. Yes, you might have to pay more for the house, but you will save money annually in lower taxes [[millage rate), lower insurance for your cars and homes, being able to send your kids to public schools instead of private if you were in the city, and etc. Also, you have a lesser risk of the value of the house dropping once you invest all your money into it. At the end, it all balances out. Why would you want to risk the well being of yourself or your family, deal with spotty city services, and a speculative housing market when you have other options? With the amount of foreclosures, what was once reserved for old-money or higher class is now affordable for the middle class.

-Tahleel

Surprisingly, no. Keep in mind that there is a higher risk of catching bloodbourne diseases such as HIV/AIDs through mosquitos in Detroit simply because a higher population of carriers live within the city.

FALSE.
    I know that this is not a medical thread, but I can't let it slide. Tahleel, where did hear that you can get HIV from mosquitoes? Don't worry, you can't.

From the Center for Disease Control:

From the start of the HIV epidemic there has been concern about HIV transmission from biting and bloodsucking insects, such as mosquitoes. However, studies conducted by the CDC and elsewhere have shown no evidence of HIV transmission from mosquitoes or any other insects - even in areas where there are many cases of AIDS and large populations of mosquitoes. Lack of such outbreaks, despite intense efforts to detect them, supports the conclusion that HIV is not transmitted by insects.
    Last edited by bumble; August-29-09 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post

FALSE.
    I know that this is not a medical thread, but I can't let it slide. Tahleel, where did hear that you can get HIV from mosquitoes? Don't worry, you can't.

From the Center for Disease Control:

From the start of the HIV epidemic there has been concern about HIV transmission from biting and bloodsucking insects, such as mosquitoes. However, studies conducted by the CDC and elsewhere have shown no evidence of HIV transmission from mosquitoes or any other insects - even in areas where there are many cases of AIDS and large populations of mosquitoes. Lack of such outbreaks, despite intense efforts to detect them, supports the conclusion that HIV is not transmitted by insects.
    Thanks for the incite bumble! I was always told that if a mosquito were to draw blood from an HIV infected person, and "bit" another person, then HIV could get transmitted. An analogy I was always told was it was like sharing syringes. Thanks for clearing it up though.

-Tahleel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast