Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Parking Garages

Default Parking Garages

It seems to me that this city has an over abundance of gigantic parking structures, many of which are 10 and 12 stories tall. I'm sure the square footage devoted to automobile storage is many times greater than buildings for people. How long does it take to get in and out of one if you have to park on the top floor? I have to wonder what will happen when all this new office building construction/renovation comes online. Since commuters by and large commute by car it seems like street congestion will be a nightmare.

What are "all these new office building construction" projects you're referring to?

I don't think there's one office building u/c in Detroit [[or the region, for that matter). There's a small bldg. going up in downtown Birmingham, there are always some renovations and user-specific small projects, downtown has lots of upgraded bldgs, but can't think of any major bldgs u/c.

Last major bldg. to go up was Compuware, completed in 2003. I don't think the region has had a major bldg. since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What are "all these new office building construction" projects you're referring to?

I don't think there's one office building u/c in Detroit [[or the region, for that matter). There's a small bldg. going up in downtown Birmingham, there are always some renovations and user-specific small projects, downtown has lots of upgraded bldgs, but can't think of any major bldgs u/c.

Last major bldg. to go up was Compuware, completed in 2003. I don't think the region has had a major bldg. since then.
    One Kennedy Square, around 2007 or so, but that included underground parking. But yea, we have not seen a major office building in about a decade. If anything the new parking has supported residential and night life developments.

Construction has started on the One Campus Martius addition.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    Since commuters by and large commute by car it seems like street congestion will be a nightmare.
    Omg it's as if we need to invest in public transit and support SMART's FAST routes through ridership and not just taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    Since commuters by and large commute by car it seems like street congestion will be a nightmare.
    All the large parking structures are ugly but necessary for now. As far as street congestion, downtown is still basically empty compared to other large cities at rush hour. A little more congestion would only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Really, last I checked:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...w-headquarters

Last edited by emu steve; April-21-18 at 04:56 AM.