Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Earthquake - April 19

Who felt it or heard it? And where?

Name:  Screenshot_20180419-201632_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  147.1 KB

Was driving down I-94 West on speaker phone with a friend who suddenly exclaimed that she heard a boom, and her cats and dogs suddenly were running about upset.

I thought immediately 'earth quake', and then minutes later it was confirmed on the news!

A 3.6 magnitude earthquake was confirmed about 15 miles from Detroit

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._new_site.html

I was laying in bed and felt nothing. My dog was at the foot of the bed and acted very upset for a few minutes...pacing around and moaning like something was wrong. I can only assume this was why.

FINALLY I get to feel an earthquake too!! Whenever they happen I never feel them!

My sister was out at my grandparents' old place on Lake Erie south of Amherstburg and said it made a very loud noise and the house shook heavily for a second. She thought there'd been some sort of explosion nearby.

Mrs. Gnome, "That was a tremor; I felt the house shake and the earth move.!"

Me: "You're welcome"

^^^ r o t f l !

Heard a loud boom thinking it was a semi running into something. This was near the SCS/HT border.
    Last edited by Maof; April-20-18 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Mrs. Gnome, "That was a tremor; I felt the house shake and the earth move.!"

Me: "You're welcome"
    Good one Gnome!

I likewise heard a loud boom around that time. It was like deep heavy thump as if some dropped a twenty ton bag of sand from 20 feet up. As I live by a hill with a sharp blind curve where speeding drivers have lost it, that my first thought. It didn't occur to me that the quake could be the cause until I heard others mention a boom. I felt a Lake Eire quake, I believe it was a 5, in 70's or 80's. It had the more typical feeling of a heaving truck rumbling down the street.

Here in Corktown, was on the phone with Mom when I froze and said, "Holy Shit, I think the house just moved.." She guessed earthquake right away and I was like nawww, but she was right lol. It was like an energy ripple rolled through for about 2 seconds. I'd never felt an earthquake tremor in my whole life before this.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-20-18 at 06:08 PM.

Interesting... Digging into the seemingly uncharacteristic loud thumping boom I just found this on the US Geological site. They exist but not much is known as to why.
    Earthquake "booms" have been reported for a long time, and they tend to occur more in the Northeastern US and along the East Coast. Of course, most "booms" that people hear or experience are actually some type of cultural noise, such as some type of explosion, a large vehicle going by, or sometimes a sonic boom, but there have been many reports of "booms" that cannot be explained by man-made sources. No one knows for sure, but scientists speculate that these "booms" are probably small shallow earthquakes that are too small to be recorded, but large enough to be felt by people nearby.
    https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/booms.php