Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Karmanos Cancer Institute-E.Warren/John R.

I was driving down E.Warren on Saturday and I noticed that the Karmanos Cancer Institute building on E.Warren and John R. was unoccupied. When did this happen? Are there plans to put something else in this location?

That building has asbestos issues and will eventually be torn down. Everyone was moved out of it about a year ago if I recall correctly.

The low back part of that building, towards Hancock, was the original cancer center but was originally built way back in the 'teens or '20s as a truck garage. The tower part by Warren was built in the early '70s as the Prentis Cancer Center, back when they were still stuffing buildings with asbestos 'fireproofing'. With its big infusion of money from the Karamanos family, and having merged into McLaren Health Care, the cancer center has moved on to more luxurious and modern accommodations.

A Cancer Institute building with asbestos issues. The irony.

so what will the property be converted to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    A Cancer Institute building with asbestos issues. The irony.
    Especially since they were pioneers in the treatment of mysothelioma.