Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

^ it is not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt,I do not believe it is wise to pass judgment of guilty without having all of the facts,that is a two way street and should apply to everybody.

You do not want people to see color but yet it is injected into every case,in the OP it was a white guy shot at a black kid,if you make everything about race and color it stays about race and color and not about treating everybody equally by not seeing color.

You are right,you cannot figure it out.
    Last edited by Richard; April-16-18 at 08:54 AM.

Not everything is about race, but your attempts at "color blindness" ignores the reality of many situations and thus gives a pass to those who do treat people differently based on the color of their skin. Not everyone is afforded the privilege of ignoring skin tone.

I’ve used restrooms in Starbucks without buying anything. I’ve sat in Starbucks without ordering until the person I’m waiting for arrives [[I’d rather we consume our beverages together). Never has anyone said a peep to my pasty face. I’ve also knocked on doors without being shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ it is not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt,I do not believe it is wise to pass judgment of guilty without having all of the facts,that is a two way street and should apply to everybody.

You do not want people to see color but yet it is injected into every case,in the OP it was a white guy shot at a black kid,if you make everything about race and color it stays about race and color and not about treating everybody equally by not seeing color.

You are right,you cannot figure it out.
    No, it is giving the benefit of the doubt to the shooter when you spout baseless nonsense like “was the young man at the back door.” Perhaps you don’t realize that you are trying to explain this event away; but that just ties into white privilege.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-16-18 at 10:17 AM.

^ So have 300 million other Americans.

There was also a recent armed robbery at another Starbucks close by,who knows what was going on in the mind of the employee,I know here for a time the newspapers and news no longer provided a description of the suspects as it was considered racist.

Breaking news,armed robbery just occurred,be on the lookout for the suspects,we cannot tell you what they look like,but be on the lookout anyways.

The article also posted that different locations had different policies regarding bathroom use,no different here fast food places do not put out condiments or drink machines for refills,you have to ask the kiosk or person behind the counter.

But yet other locations have everything advailable.

Is profileing the same as racism? In my neighborhood it does not matter what color you are,you are going to get stoped and questioned the African Americans call it racist police what do us white guys get to call it?

If the Starbucks burglary was performed by two African males and that was the only description given and you were working at the next one would you not be a bit more Leary? Granted they could have just asked and maybe I am weird but I would never use somebodies facilities without spending something there out of consideration for them providing that service for me.

We do not know what led up to the events in this case,just as we do not know the events that took place,only what we were told and the facts will come out,but what is resolved in immediately calling it a racist situation and automatically calling those who would rather base it on facts racist also.

What exactly changes?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    No, it is giving the benefit of the doubt to the shooter when you spout baseless nonsense like “was the young man at the back door.” Perhaps you don’t realize that you are trying to explain this event away; but that just ties into white privilege.
    You were there so tell us which door he was at,sense you have all of the facts and everybody else is spouting,share the facts.

You were there so tell us which door he was at,sense you have all of the facts and everybody else is spouting,share the facts.
    There is a video from their Ring Doorbell system that back up everything the child said and also recorded the woman who lived there saying something racist regarding "these people" clearly referring to a black individual. The facts are available, yet you tried to come up with some wild speculation that the kid was at their back door, thus justifying what happened. From the onset you chose to see things from the view of the white individual while discounting the words of the young black child. That is a racial bias and the fact you can't see that is part of the problem in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    There is a video from their Ring Doorbell system that back up everything the child said and also recorded the woman who lived there saying something racist regarding "these people" clearly referring to a black individual. The facts are available, yet you tried to come up with some wild speculation that the kid was at their back door, thus justifying what happened. From the onset you chose to see things from the view of the white individual while discounting the words of the young black child. That is a racial bias and the fact you can't see that is part of the problem in this country.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You need to be in the physiological field if you are in her head like that,I am shure that you will post the whole video so we can see the context.

Saying these people is considered racist now,if I am talking to my African American neighbors and say these kids are driving me nuts am I considered racist?

Like the other one,when you have all of the facts surrounding the case other then what you read in the newspaper,get back to me.

I asked you before and you never replied,the question is what makes you the designated spokesperson for the African American community?

You lecture everybody about racism and white privliage like you are the only person exempt from it,if you are going to lump everybody then you do need to include yourself because according to you everybody white is racist and enjoys the fruits of white privlage,so you are as you speak.

You are contributing to the problem when you use generalizations.

My co-worker read an article that said the wife of Jeffrey Zeigler is black. Is there anyone that can confirm this?

I would find it fascinating if she was, but it's one of those things that doesn't pass the smell test.

Here's a link to the article: https://www.insideedition.com/14-yea...rections-42467
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-16-18 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My co-worker read an article that said the wife of Jeffrey Zeigler is black. Is there anyone that can confirm this?

I would find it fascinating if she was, but it's one of those things that doesn't pass the smell test.

Here's a link to the article: https://www.insideedition.com/14-yea...rections-42467
    I was able to figure it out. Inside Edition was heavily borrowing [[dare I say plagiarizing) from the Washington Post. They were re-wording the Washington Post's article and did it wrong.

Washington Post: "The woman who opened the door after Brennan Walker, who is black, knocked on it started yelling at him. Then the woman’s husband grabbed a shotgun and fired it at him, Walker and police officials said."

Inside Edition: "The woman, who is black, reportedly started yelling at Walker. As he tried to explain himself, the woman’s husband allegedly grabbed a shot gun and fired at Walker."

The wife is not black, not that her ethnic background has any relevance.

She was on 10:00 news slamming the door in a reporter's face. She sounded like she was from the backwoods or something.

It's a damn shame white people get so paranoid, when they feel threatened by a black person, even when that person is no threat.
    Years ago my brother and I [[white) got the shit kicked out of us by 12-15 young black men outside Calihan Hall after a high school basketball game. My brother took a knife in the thigh as well. Now, does that give me the right to be paranoid around young black men?

It may not "give me the right" but I am still paranoid around groups of young black men.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    It may not "give me the right" but I am still paranoid around groups of young black men.

Sorry, irrelevant anecdotes about schoolyard fights don't give you the right to shoot someone because you don't like the color of their skin. We still have laws and civil rights.

^ tell that to a woman that was raped and abused,people are traumatized by life events and you brush them off.

If a terrorist blew up your neighbors would you go invite all of their friends over for dinner?

The other thread was about having a discussion about racism but yet when the discussion happens it is clear,if you are white you are automatically racist and prosper from white privilege,bottom line point blank end of discussion.Lets look at on side but not the other.

I guess it works well that way because everything has changed,right?
    Last edited by Richard; April-16-18 at 02:06 PM.

First off, it wasn't a schoolyard fight. It was an out and out mugging of 2 guys by 15 guys outside of Calihan Hall on the University of Detroit campus after an event. It's not an anecdote, if you like I could pull the police report.

Second, I never mentioned the right to shoot, but the right to be paranoid.

^ tell that to a woman that was raped and abused,people are traumatized by life events and you brush them off.
    The Rochester shooter was "raped and abused" by the schoolkid ringing his doorbell? Is that the newest breaking news on Fox?

If a terrorist blew up your neighbors would you go invite all of their friends over for dinner?
    I'm not sure you could have written a dumber analogy. Utterly absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Rochester shooter was "raped and abused" by the schoolkid ringing his doorbell? Is that the newest breaking news on Fox?

I'm not sure you could have written a dumber analogy. Utterly absurd.
    In other words you have nothing constructive to add,if you ever find yourself in Fla and in need of a job,I can put you to work in the restaurants,I think you would do well because you sure like to stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I’ve used restrooms in Starbucks without buying anything. I’ve sat in Starbucks without ordering until the person I’m waiting for arrives [[I’d rather we consume our beverages together). Never has anyone said a peep to my pasty face. I’ve also knocked on doors without being shot at.
    Thanks for acknowledging this. Some of these comments about the whole thing being justified, are ridiculous. Most don't have a clue about what it's like to be Black in America. Innocent and unarmed young men being killed, while the cops always get off, always being scrutinized and second guessed, but get crucified for protesting and speaking out about it. WTF?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-16-18 at 02:31 PM.

You need to be in the physiological field if you are in her head like that,I am shure that you will post the whole video so we can see the context.

Saying these people is considered racist now,if I am talking to my African American neighbors and say these kids are driving me nuts am I considered racist?

Like the other one,when you have all of the facts surrounding the case other then what you read in the newspaper,get back to me.

I asked you before and you never replied,the question is what makes you the designated spokesperson for the African American community?

You lecture everybody about racism and white privliage like you are the only person exempt from it,if you are going to lump everybody then you do need to include yourself because according to you everybody white is racist and enjoys the fruits of white privlage,so you are as you speak.

You are contributing to the problem when you use generalizations.
    I have never claimed to be a spokesperson for any community and I absolutely grew up with privilege. That is one reason I am so sensitive to the subject. Not everyone has the same opportunities that I have had in my life and the equality that you keep talking about frankly doesn't exist for large swaths of the population. I am well aware of how I benefited from growing up in northern Oakland County and I see just how different things are than those I see daily now that I live in Detroit. Not everyone white is racist, those that clearly choose sides based on race as you have in these comments, are though.

It doesn't take a genius to see your slant on things and if you want the facts look them up yourself, they are readily available. Laziness is not an excuse for your ignorance.

Why is it so hard for white people to accept the black point of view?

In other words you have nothing constructive to add,
    You're right; following that mindblowingly inept attempt at analogy to somehow justify racist yokels shooting at kids, I have absolutely nothing to add.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Just so you know, this works both ways.

Most acts of racism are not illegal in this country. As Americans we are free to treat the black/white guy knocking on our front door as a possible threat based purely on our own biases. The thing one can't do is shoot someone just for knocking. That's not legal, nor is it acceptable, and if that's what happened in this case this man deserves to do time.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I am not sure why you say that,anybody that has been around a couple of years and has two eyes can see what goes on.

The younger generation always has tried to cure the social ills that this and every other country in the world suffers from.

I deal with a lot of small business,in consultation,funding or partnerships,I could care less what color you are.

Answer this question, in the small business world or all of the world what sets a successful person apart from a non successful person,no matter what gender or race you come from.

Keeping in mind success does not always meen making millions.

Second question,African Americans own just about any business they set out to own,but yet none own a convience store,or a party store in your neck of the woods,in the hood.

Why is that?

The other thread was about having a discussion about racism but yet when the discussion happens it is clear,if you are white you are automatically racist and prosper from white privilege,bottom line point blank end of discussion.Lets look at on side but not the other.

I guess it works well that way because everything has changed,right?
    By this logic, the black kid should fear every white male he comes into contact with for the rest of his life.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast