Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Half of that store has been an "At Home" store for quite a while now. That is probably the type of store that will go in where some or these large retailers are failing.
    They've done studies that show stores with changing inventory are doing better than places like Sears, Macy's, etc. People seem to like the element of surprise, almost like a hunt, at stores like TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Marshall's etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Sears at Oakland Mall closing as well

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Half of that store has been an "At Home" store for quite a while now. That is probably the type of store that will go in where some or these large retailers are failing.
    They've done studies that show stores with changing inventory are doing better than places like Sears, Macy's, etc. People seem to like the element of surprise, almost like a hunt, at stores like TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Marshall's etc.

That's probably because more and more people are shopping at home.

I'll take tj's and marshall's. But, I always found what I was looking for at Sears.

I can't remember the last time I bought something at a Sears. Frankly, I'm shocked they're even still alive today. I feel bad for the workers, but it's time for Sears and K-Mart to just go away.

I've had good experiences with Craftsman products. The details are right.

For example I have a Craftsman ratcheting screwdriver with interchangeable bits that are stored in its hollow plastic handle. I didn't realize until I bought another from the Chinese "Workforce" brand how the shape and weight distribution of the Craftsman make it a pleasure to use. The Workforce is too short and its weight is imbalanced so it tires my hand much more quickly because I must use a tighter grip to compensate for that. The bits are cheap soft metal too.

I've since gotten some nice Wihas. But I still use my Craftsman just as much. The Workforce I never do.

On the other hand, 6 years ago I ordered some Craftsman tool chests and a tool cabinet from Sears online. One arrived off the truck damaged. Dealing with the Sears website customer service was a nightmare. I finally got the damaged item replaced and the tool chests have served me well ever since. But the experience soured by opinion of ordering from Sears online. I haven't again, and don't plan to.

It's not enough to get the details right designing a good product anymore. The website provides an important service and it also needs to be designed well. Order fulfillment and customer service are crucial details too.
    Last edited by bust; July-03-18 at 03:05 AM.

Best thing about Sears, while the wife was shopping elsewhere, you could wander around all the different hard goods depts. in one spot - tools, electronics, sporting goods, appliances - until they gradually shrank and disappeared.

Is Simpson Sears still a thing in Canada or am I way out of date?
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Best thing about Sears, while the wife was shopping elsewhere, you could wander around all the different hard goods depts. in one spot - tools, electronics, sporting goods, appliances - until they gradually shrank and disappeared.

Is Simpson Sears still a thing in Canada or am I way out of date?
    The Simpsons-Sears partnership ended in 1978. So, yeah, just a bit out of date. The last remaining Sears stores in Canada closed in January of this year.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-03-18 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    On the other hand, 6 years ago I ordered some Craftsman tool chests and a tool cabinet from Sears online. One arrived off the truck damaged. Dealing with the Sears website customer service was a nightmare.
    I think customer service is a big part of Sears' downfall. We bought a really nice Maytag dryer off the floor about 15 years ago and opted for the extended warranty, since it was an open box and they gave us a discount on the warranty.

Five years later the control panel started acting up and we were going to replace it, when I got an email reminding me I had an extended warranty, asking if I'd like to extend it as it was running out. I immediately called customer support and they sent an A&E tech out to replace the front panel. That part worked great, I've never had a problem with A&E.

Then I got a call three months later from an awful high-pressure salesperson trying to get me to extend the warranty. I declined, saying I've already had it serviced and it should last quite a bit longer. She insisted I had never had service done, didn't know who A&E was [[Sears' own repair company!?!?) and said my warranty had expired six months ago even though I had warranty work done three months before. The rep was pushy, rude, and insistently wrong.

At least the dryer is still working to this day.
    Last edited by JBMcB; July-03-18 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    IMO Eddie Lambert [[the Sears CEO/Conman) has purposely driven this company into the ground. As mentioned above Sears started as a catalog store and was perfectly positioned to transfer into online sales. Instead they're going bankrupt and the scumbag Lambert is ready to sneak out the back door with the money [[All the real estate and other assets he's parceled off as collateral when making loans to Sears) while the current and former employees are left holding empty bags.
    That's how it usually works isn't it? The CEO runs the company in the ground, under the ruse that they are reorganizing. Company bleeds money, Company files for bankruptcy protection, CEO leaves company with golden parachute of cash and stock options, Employees lose their jobs, Company closes, CEO is on the sandy beaches of the Bahamas, living it up having endless drinks, with little umbrella's in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In Michigan I doubt a traditional department store makes much sense [[we have too much retail), but there are still plenty of options.

Expanding smaller retailers, like Primark [[not yet in Michigan) are gobbling up old department stores. Gyms are physically huge nowadays. Lifetime Fitness has locations bigger than department stores.

Or, you could just demolish the structure and replace with smaller-scale retail.
    There isn't a Whole Foods in Macomb County yet so, with some imagination, I could see one replacing the Carson's at Partridge Creek. Is that store big enough for an IKEA? There is a fairly new LA Fitness next door.

Quote Originally Posted by lafontaine View Post
    There isn't a Whole Foods in Macomb County yet so, with some imagination, I could see one replacing the Carson's at Partridge Creek.
    Not sure Whole Foods would move in there, when there is already a really big Salvaggio's in the same complex.

Is that store big enough for an IKEA? There is a fairly new LA Fitness next door.
    Probably not. Ikea stores are around 300,000 square feet, the larger department stores are around 260,000, and I think that Carson's store was on the smaller size. Ikea also likes to have huge parking lots with big loading zones, which there isn't room for at the Carson's site.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Simpsons-Sears partnership ended in 1978. So, yeah, just a bit out of date. The last remaining Sears stores in Canada closed in January of this year.
    Seems like just yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by lafontaine View Post
    There isn't a Whole Foods in Macomb County yet so, with some imagination, I could see one replacing the Carson's at Partridge Creek. Is that store big enough for an IKEA? There is a fairly new LA Fitness next door.
    Neither Whole Foods nor Ikea are expanding at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Neither Whole Foods nor Ikea are expanding at this time.
    On the contrary, there are tons of WF opening all over the country [[and abroad). They just opened their largest MI location a few months ago.

It was my understanding that “anchor” stores like Lord & Taylor, Sears, J.C. Penny, Nordstrom's, Dillard's own their buildings but the actual mall that connects them to each other is owned and operated by a management company.

IMHO, malls still fill a need, especially in northern climates. No one wants to walk or drive from store to store after dark, in freezing cold temperatures or when it's snowing or raining.

Update - According to the Free Press, the Oakland Mall Sears is closing...
    Last edited by Pat001; July-06-18 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    On the contrary, there are tons of WF opening all over the country [[and abroad). They just opened their largest MI location a few months ago.
    Only the 365 concept stores [[basically glorifiled Aldis) are expanding.

The only traditional WF stores that are still opening are those that were in development prior to their acquisition by Amazon [[and WF has even been backing out of their leases and LOIs for these stores as of late), as they're mainly focused on expanding their delivery and discount programs.

Bye Bye Sears, hello Amazon

The Novi closing leaves Livonia Marketplace as the single mall/shopping center-based location in all of metro Detroit [[Briarwood Ann Arbor could be included . . marginally).

Eddie Lampert had until 4PM this afternoon to line up financing and submit a formal offer to the bankruptcy court. That didn't happen, and his was the only offer--informal or otherwise.

Retail experts are surmising that the creditors will start moving in next week, and the 125 year old retail icon [[along with its 119 year old Detroit-born partner SS Kresge/Kmart) will be forced into liquidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    The Novi closing leaves Livonia Marketplace as the single mall/shopping center-based location in all of metro Detroit [[Briarwood Ann Arbor could be included . . marginally).

Eddie Lampert had until 4PM this afternoon to line up financing and submit a formal offer to the bankruptcy court. That didn't happen, and his was the only offer--informal or otherwise.

Retail experts are surmising that the creditors will start moving in next week, and the 125 year old retail icon [[along with its 119 year old Detroit-born partner SS Kresge/Kmart) will be forced into liquidation.
    CNBC is reporting that Lampert did in fact submit an 11th hour bid.

UGH! Just put it out of its misery already!

CNBC is reporting that Lampert did in fact submit an 11th hour bid....
    I just now heard that landlords and creditors told the judge that any 11th hour bid was wishful thinking.

90,000 employees, a rift in the force.

CNBC is reporting that Lampert did in fact submit an 11th hour bid.

UGH! Just put it out of its misery already!
    Greasy Lambert up to more dirty tricks. By SEC rules his bid has to be public, and by waiting until the last second he lessens the chance that any other prospective bidders could make a higher offer. A former Sears CEO with loads of inside information about the company, making a lowball offer for the company he bankrupted, and doing so at the very last second so no other bidders can react. If this guy gets away with this, I have lost the last bit of respect I had for those in charge of regulating America's markets.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; December-28-18 at 08:38 PM.

I'm astonished Sears Livonia is remaining open. It's massive weed-sprouting parking lot had only a small patch of cars during the Christmas shopping season. It's gaunt empty car service bays along Middlebelt give one with the impression the entire place is abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post

Lampert and his hedge fund own about half of Sears' stock and about half of Sears' debt, so he is the major creditor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast