Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Facebook Scraped by Cambridge Analytica

I'm one of the scraped 87 million. How about you?

Got to https://www.facebook.com/help/ and type Cambridge Analytica in the search box at the top and click/tap enter/return. [You must be logged into FB]

On the results page click/tap the link "How can I tell if my information was shared with Cambridge Analytica?" Here is my result.

Name:  fb.png
Views: 619
Size:  122.1 KB

Nope not me. I never fell into the Facebook thing. If i want to connect with friends and/or family, they're a phone call or lunch date away.

Me either. I did succumb to Linkedin only because if you so-called working in certain industries it's almost demanded that you're on something [[social media).

Even still you make a choices about how much you share.

I never felt the need from the very beginning of knowing what somebody else was doing or informing them of what i was up to. It seemed like kids playing with a new toy with no concept of where it would lead.

Now we know that if it can be used to forward the "left" in politics it's brilliant, but if the "right" use it it's a "crime"

I keep my linkedin devoid of any politics, personal interest, photos. Only business/ job history and not even all the details of that. Yet it is still annoying that people can pre-interview you before ever meeting.

There was a thread about this over on the Detroit side.

I too avoided FB and other social media platforms like the plague. I always felt that if someone wants to know what I'm up to, then I'm a phone call or text away. That being said, I do subscribe to numerous forums.
    I wonder what Camb. Analytical did with my friend's dogs FB account personal information though. Did they throw him a bone to sway the election?

But, but EVERYBODY's doing it !!!!

Not I, said the cat...

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    I too avoided FB and other social media platforms like the plague. I always felt that if someone wants to know what I'm up to, then I'm a phone call or text away. That being said, I do subscribe to numerous forums.
    I wonder what Camb. Analytical did with my friend's dogs FB account personal information though. Did they throw him a bone to sway the election?

Wow, I thought your post was a little ruff....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Wow, I thought your post was a little ruff....

That's it....Out to the doghouse with you!

I played along with Facebook until they started prompting me every day for my phone number. I eventually gave them a fake one, which prompted the reply, "That number is not attached to the user". I was done. That was a year and a half ago. As one friend said, "I didn't care what you thought when I was 15 and you sat next to me in class. I sure don't care now".

Yeah, per what you see and notice some are fully given over to an OBLIGATION to document every moment, every detail. Then others have stepped away from the obligation.

I've heard of people crushed from being un-friended by what often works out to be a complete stranger? Or they were exposed about something personal or hurtful. Or worse threatened, voxed etc. Ya-dah.

But some have cut it off. Time of FB is down.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-11-18 at 03:03 PM.

I use FB marketplace,but I do not feel what Cambridge did was anything different then what our state DMV does,which is sell information,the post office does it along with every other gov agency.

It is the Internet anything you place on there can be accessed by anybody,so you just have to be aware of that.

How about the cool apps that let you view your security Cameras on your phone,well so can everybody else.

Your smart tv connected to the internet?everything you watch is logged and your conversations can be listened to through your tv.

Sitting on the sofa talking to your sweetheart about ordering pizza,bam on comes a pizza commercial offering a coupon if you order now.

FB or Cambridge is not doing anything different then everybody else has been doing for years already.

First was MySpace then Facebook now comes ??? but you have to give people a reason to dump FB first,Facebook was the reason they dumped MySpace.
    Last edited by Richard; April-11-18 at 02:07 PM.

Exactly. That cat has been out of the bag for years now. Data aggregator companies have built and maintained profiles on all of us that they buy and sell among themselves and to businesses as well as political parties.

Add to your list surveillance camera data, credit card transactions, GPS and cell tower tracking on your mobile devices, persistent cookies and, the big kicker, the tons of illegally hacked data and we are at the end of the age of privacy. As the author Bruce Schneider of "Data and Goliath" puts it succinctly:

This is not Big Brother. Instead it thousands of littletattle tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I use FB marketplace,but I do not feel what Cambridge did was anything different then what our state DMV does,which is sell information,the post office does it along with every other gov agency.

It is the Internet anything you place on there can be accessed by anybody,so you just have to be aware of that.

How about the cool apps that let you view your security Cameras on your phone,well so can everybody else.

Your smart tv connected to the internet?everything you watch is logged and your conversations can be listened to through your tv.

Sitting on the sofa talking to your sweetheart about ordering pizza,bam on comes a pizza commercial offering a coupon if you order now.

FB or Cambridge is not doing anything different then everybody else has been doing for years already.

First was MySpace then Facebook now comes ??? but you have to give people a reason to dump FB first,Facebook was the reason they dumped MySpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Exactly. That cat has been out of the bag for years now. Data aggregator companies have built and maintained profiles on all of us that they buy and sell among themselves and to businesses as well as political parties.

Add to your list surveillance camera data, credit card transactions, GPS and cell tower tracking on your mobile devices, persistent cookies and, the big kicker, the tons of illegally hacked data and we are at the end of the age of privacy. As the author Bruce Schneider of "Data and Goliath" puts it succinctly:

This is not Big Brother. Instead it thousands of littletattle tales.
    Yes! The beauty of it all is that they get us to voluntarily give up our rights to privacy. Sometimes in the name of convenience. Other times in the name of efficiency.
    i.e. "look how easy it is to reserve a table using your "smart phone." Or Payment in the form of Credit or Debit card only.

I replaced my 6yr old phone with an unlocked android phone and despite having turned location services off, I have numerous times found it turned back on by an app that wants me to "help" someone by rating the restaurant I just entered.
    Yeah we know you when your sleeping, we know when your awake [[fitbit) We know when your away...numerous GPS or WiFi mapping apps.....Time to break out the tin foil hat

The cell trackers are interesting,the cities all say the same thing.

We do know whose they are or who places them.

So anybody can.

The only way you can tell on your phone is if you go to make a call and have full signal then the signal drops to 50% once you connect.

Just like the jammers,anybody could put 5 around a large part of a city and shut everybody down,imagine that fun.

The best place to get a taste of the future is to enter the US from Canada. A barrage of cameras snap pictures and are sent to face recognition, a license scanner reads your plate, radiation signature detectors sniff you, and then the gamma reader X-rays you and your vehicle.

Our full federal dossier is well in hand by the time we get to the "What country are you a citizen of?" question. [Tempting me to reply "Read your screen dufus." :-)]

I think we can be sure that linking to our DNA is a growing market too. DNA ancestry testing offers a large and growing database and who know what is going on with all those blood sample we all regularly get drawn? Such data could be pure gold to pharmaceutical companies.

One more thing. For those tempted to take their communications off the web and go back to, say, snail mail, be aware that all snail mail exteriors are scanned. The letter carrier coming to the door and what s/he carries and the time delivered is all part of our profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Now we know that if it can be used to forward the "left" in politics it's brilliant, but if the "right" use it it's a "crime"
    Wrong. It's actually a "crime" if it violates an existing law. That's kind of the definition of the word "crime." Cambridge Analytica is currently under criminal investigation by the Justice Department and the FEC here in the U.S., and it's also under criminal investigation in the UK.

But good to know that your opinion of criminal activity is determined by the politics of the offender. In the meantime, I'll just let the criminal justice system decide who did what here, although I don't think you'll like what they find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The best place to get a taste of the future is to enter the US from Canada. A barrage of cameras snap pictures and are sent to face recognition, a license scanner reads your plate, radiation signature detectors sniff you, and then the gamma reader X-rays you and your vehicle.

Our full federal dossier is well in hand by the time we get to the "What country are you a citizen of?" question. [Tempting me to reply "Read your screen dufus." :-)]

I think we can be sure that linking to our DNA is a growing market too. DNA ancestry testing offers a large and growing database and who know what is going on with all those blood sample we all regularly get drawn? Such data could be pure gold to pharmaceutical companies.
    The bounty hunters had devolved a tracking program that they recently sold excess to,uses facial recognition and every camera connected to the Internet including cell phone cameras,permission granted or not,for real time tracking.

Even with just your car tag being captured by some random camera they call follow movement.

My friend from the UK says the same thing,while showing your passport they already have your life history in front of them.But now they are trying out the eyeball scanners instead of carrying a passport and you can have your child chip implanted,just in case they are kidnapped.

Here's a fascinating related story: Palantir Knows Everything About You.
    ...Over time, however, Cavicchia himself went rogue. Former JPMorgan colleagues describe the environment as Wall Street meets Apocalypse Now, with Cavicchia as Colonel Kurtz, ensconced upriver in his office suite eight floors above the rest of the bank’s security team. People in the department were shocked that no one from the bank or Palantir set any real limits. They darkly joked that Cavicchia was listening to their calls, reading their emails, watching them come and go. Some planted fake information in their communications to see if Cavicchia would mention it at meetings, which he did.

It all ended when the bank’s senior executives learned that they, too, were being watched, and what began as a promising marriage of masters of big data and global finance descended into a spying scandal. The misadventure, which has never been reported, also marked an ominous turn for Palantir, one of the most richly valued startups in Silicon Valley. An intelligence platform designed for the global War on Terror was weaponized against ordinary Americans at home....
    It reminds me of the twisted relationship between Ford Motor Company and the infamous Harry Bennett.

Great article Jimaz.
    Ironic it was published by Bloomberg. They're leaders in tracking employee behavior to optimize productivity and target underperformers.

I never felt the need to sign up for Facebook. Just one less thing I need to deal with everyday. I don’t bother with Twitter or Instagram either. If anybody needs to reach me, they can call me at home.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    I never felt the need to sign up for Facebook. Just one less thing I need to deal with everyday. I don’t bother with Twitter or Instagram either. If anybody needs to reach me, they can call me at home.
    +5.... Keep your business, your business.

Well, I don't have paranoia. No problem that they knows what I surf the Internet. What will they offer me, advertising that suits me? Politics in a beautiful wrapper?
    Last edited by Al Dav; June-30-18 at 08:49 AM.

A long time ago there was a common saying: "Mind your own beeswax".

Today I'm sure this utterance would be hate speech. Whatever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast