Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit West RiverFront

The Detroit West Riverfront design winner is in! Michael Van Valkenburg Associates from Brooklyn is the winner. The design looks like it has tons of different activities and great elements. An amphitheatre is planned as well as an inlet with a beach area, a kind of pier element that has a space for fishing and many other great features!

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/4/10...est-riverfront

Stunning! I would be satisfied if half of the plan comes to fruition. Now we have to find ways to connect the city to the riverfront [[on both sides of downtown).

Landing structures designed by David Adjaye is also a big deal. Great news all around.

Very nice design. And we always ask... but who's going to pay for it?

Well they showed a photo in the article of a trustee of the Ralph Wilson Foundation standing next to Mayor Duggan.

For those who don't remember, that is the late Ralph Wilson of Grosse Pointe Shores, who died at 95 in 2014... as the late billionaire owner of the Buffalo Bills. He left $1.2 billion for a foundation that has to spend all of that money in 20 years [[including the accrued interest) in Detroit and Buffalo...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...tion/91273982/

Between the Wilson Foundation, the Kresge, and Hudson-Webber-Skillman, this will be a wonderful addition to Detroit that these wonderful foundations will have funded. We are very lucky to have them.

Great news for the West Riverfront. Does anyone know whether there are any plans to expand the footprint of the park? How about a “bridge-to-bridge-to-bridge” expansion of the Riverfront to the new Gordie Howe bridge and connection to historic Fort Wayne for a unique perspective on history, industry, transportation, riverfront, and nature all in one place?

Not to mention improvements to be made in Belle Isle to facilitate running and walking. Forgot how much that is going to cost and who is going to pay for it.

As I always say, if you want folks to come downtown, and areas near it, you have to give them a reason to do so.

EDIT: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...rail/32900831/

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...sle/423403002/
    Last edited by emu steve; April-11-18 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1 View Post
    Great news for the West Riverfront. Does anyone know whether there are any plans to expand the footprint of the park? How about a “bridge-to-bridge-to-bridge” expansion of the Riverfront to the new Gordie Howe bridge and connection to historic Fort Wayne for a unique perspective on history, industry, transportation, riverfront, and nature all in one place?
    I know it has been tough just going from bridge to bridge, so Im not sure if that is on their radar. I know they have a lot on their plate as it is with West Riverfront Park, the eventual connection to Riverside Park and the Uniroyal Site. The conservancy also developed a long term plan for the East Riverfront this past year which involves expansion and improvements to that park. I imagine all the projects I have mentioned are going to take up their time and funding. They can also sell these projects as catalysts for investment, Im not sure a connector to Fort Wayne would be seen as such since it is mostly industrial and a dead zone out that way.

I'm not sure how that would be possible. There is too much industry past the Ambassador for an uninterrupted path along the river.

I'm glad they pick this design. I really liked what they did in NYC and Chicago.
    they've done a beautiful job in big cities and have a history of doing so.

I think this was the best design.

I am very pleased for Detroit to see this move forward.

The same firm MVVA is designing Toronto's new naturalized mouth of the Don River.

They are rightfully considered top-tier in their field.

This will really add to quality recreational opportunities for Detroit residents, and, I think, inspire much civic pride as well.

how will the outreach for construction jobs be done?
    Will this ultimately be directly managed by the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how will the outreach for construction jobs be done?
    Will this ultimately be directly managed by the city?
    I don't believe any of this project will be managed by the city, none of it was in the past to my knowledge, it is managed by the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy.