Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default China Ruby - Ferndale

Closed, going to be replaced by another middle eastern restaurant. It was one of my favorite hole in the wall Chinese places, I never had a bad meal there. Anybody know why it shut down suddenly? Anybody have any suggestions for other good Chinese places in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Closed, going to be replaced by another middle eastern restaurant. It was one of my favorite hole in the wall Chinese places, I never had a bad meal there. Anybody know why it shut down suddenly? Anybody have any suggestions for other good Chinese places in the area?
    The dreaded C word, sadly. And I have no suggestions. Sorry.

Moved away 8 years ago. Empire Szechuan in Southfield was great but we just searched on-line and found out that it is no longer in business. 😱

My favorite Chinese place Hunan Garden up on 9 and Tele closed a few months back. I was in Ferny today and noticed that China Ruby has been brought by a Mediterranean Restaurant slated to open soon. That will give Anita's a bit of competition!

Peking House is good in Royal Oak, and Kim's at Livernois and Long Lake Rd. is good.

The owner passed away. Too bad. That was a great spot.

^^^ A bit divey IMO, but good food. A couple of my best places are divey... They will be missed.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-18 at 08:17 AM.

If you're looking for a close-by, completely un-trendy Chinese place, try Wing's Garden on Nine Mile, a couple of blocks across the border into Oak Park. It's a time capsule from 1975, including most of the menu. Food is pretty solid with guaranteed leftovers to take home.

^^^ Replete with the red menus and red wall paper too? Red building... I think I've eaten there. I love those retro joints!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ A bit divey IMO, but good food. A couple of my best places are divey... They will be missed.
    A bit divey is putting it mildly. I would say complete dump is a better description. One time I asked where the restroom was, I was directed down the basement. That was a one time experience I didn't repeat. After that, if at any point during my meal, I had use the bathroom, I didn't do it, I just waited. Of course the bathroom at Marcus Burger is as bad or worse, and I like their food too. When you're in the mood for Marcus Burger, you got to have it.

^^^ Hah! OMG! Thankfully I never went to the bathroom there!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The dreaded C word, sadly. And I have no suggestions. Sorry.
    What do you mean?

The C word = cancer