Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

Default Councilwoman to give up city car

http://www.freep.com/article/2009082...ve-up-city-car

I have a very strong feeling that this is a ploy to get votes in the upcoming election and she'll change her mind as soon as she is elected. Having said that, I hope I am wrong and the other council members will follow suit. Kenyatta won't give up his car because the savings are "minimal" and the car would sit idle. Wrong! The city can auction off the cars since they are all paid for and save thousands on insurance. Or, they can replace some of the worn out cars with no brakes and holes in the floor that other essential city workers need in their daily schedules. Some of the older city cars are death traps while the administration and appointees drive newer, loaded models.

Which one are you talking about?
    Attachment 2859

Attachment 2860

At least she isn't tone deaf.

This isn't a part of a cash for clunkers deal is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This isn't a part of a cash for clunkers deal is it?
    Actually, its the "Cash for Council" program

This story like this thread will be old news by tomorrow and I will tell you why. Ms. Tinsley-Talabi has a problem. The last poll showed she would be out of the top nine. Though noble that she would be willing to surrender her city-owned vehicle, it looks more like she is pandering for votes. Though they are indivduals, they work as a group as such they as a group should all agree to give up their cars. Having one councilmember giving up their car is meaningless if the other seven don't follow suit

Nice gesture, Now how about a 20% pay cut and slash in office budget?

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Nice gesture, Now how about a 20% pay cut and slash in office budget?
    Such a dreamer. We could only hope.

I've been a lurker for a while, but just decided to join on this issue. I'm sure from now on I'll start writing all of the things I've been saying to my computer monitor.

Kudos to Councilmember Alberta Tinsley-Talabi for doing the right thing and leading by example. She floated the idea of Council giving up their cars to her colleagues a few months ago, but it was met with the sound of crickets. So, I guess this is the next best thing. I'm sure the others will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    I've been a lurker for a while, but just decided to join on this issue. I'm sure from now on I'll start writing all of the things I've been saying to my computer monitor.

Kudos to Councilmember Alberta Tinsley-Talabi for doing the right thing and leading by example. She floated the idea of Council giving up their cars to her colleagues a few months ago, but it was met with the sound of crickets. So, I guess this is the next best thing. I'm sure the others will follow suit.
    Yes, empty, cynical political gestures that the desperate pol has no intention of following through on should be lauded.

Where was this oh-so-magnanimous act of fearless leadership at any point during a time when she wasn't clinging pathetically to her job?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Yes, empty, cynical political gestures that the desperate pol has no intention of following through on should be lauded.

Where was this oh-so-magnanimous act of fearless leadership at any point during a time when she wasn't clinging pathetically to her job?
    This is probably in response to polls showing she is most likely among the current council people not to make the final cut in November

This doesn't come close to making up for the time she changed her vote to side with Monica Conyers on Cobo Hall.

Kudos for giving back a car!! Really. Since she may have only four months left in her term, it only makes sense because she will have to get some new wheels since she won't be driving on the city's dime anymore come January 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by PSewick View Post
    This doesn't come close to making up for the time she changed her vote to side with Monica Conyers on Cobo Hall.
    Why not? The city did end up getting a better deal.

diver1369 Guest

All the council members should be required to give up their vehicles. If they need to get around the city they should be given free bus tickets or a bus pass so they can experience the inefficiencies of the system they are monitoring. I'm sure once they've experienced the city, like the rest of it's citizens have to, they'll have a different perspective on it's situation.

Yes, really! Think about how it would affect your personal budget to be given a car -- no car note, no car insurance, no gas, no worrying about going over your mileage, no wondering how you're going to come up with a deductible when someone idiot steals the tires and rims off your car [[happened to me)... Now think about how that would effect your personal budget to have to pay that all of a sudden. I once worked in a job where I got a car because I spent a great deal of my time meeting with the community each day and had to face that reality when I left there. The good councilmembers are all over this city days, evenings and weekends meeting with their constituents, going to community events, etc. They can't write that stuff off on their income taxes. That is a significant blow to the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Kudos for giving back a car!! Really. Since she may have only four months left in her term, it only makes sense because she will have to get some new wheels since she won't be driving on the city's dime anymore come January 1st.

Goodbye Councilwoman! Now let's just get Watson to take a hike with you!

Yes, really! Think about how it would affect your personal budget to be given a car -- no car note, no car insurance, no gas, no worrying about going over your mileage, no wondering how you're going to come up with a deductible when someone idiot steals the tires and rims off your car [[happened to me)... Now think about how that would effect your personal budget to have to pay that all of a sudden. I once worked in a job where I got a car because I spent a great deal of my time meeting with the community each day and had to face that reality when I left there. The good councilmembers are all over this city days, evenings and weekends meeting with their constituents, going to community events, etc. They can't write that stuff off on their income taxes. That is a significant blow to the wallet.
    For the record, I could care less if she keeps the car or gives it back. Tinsley-Talabi is giving back a 2007 [[used) Crown Vic that has lost value in the last two years. Detroit is not going to benefit because she is giving back a perk. That's right a perk. She like other politicians are in it for the perks. Sure, they want to help their fellow man but if the perks were not there, they would not bother.

Thank you for that thought provoking comment mam2009... what better way for City Council members to see what every day Detroiters have to go thru [[lack of police protection, insurance redlining, etc)... than for them to experience it themselves.

Maybe then they'll try to do more to help Detroiters in the same predicament....

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Which one are you talking about?
    Attachment 2859

Attachment 2860
    good call gnome

MIRepublic Guest

This is what happens when you find that you're just making the primary cut for city council and then subsequently find in a recent poll that you've slipped out of the top 9.

Dance, Alberta, dance!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thank you for that thought provoking comment mam2009... what better way for City Council members to see what every day Detroiters have to go thru [[lack of police protection, insurance redlining, etc)... than for them to experience it themselves.

Maybe then they'll try to do more to help Detroiters in the same predicament....
    I was actually thinking the same thing.

I know how some people only seem to have cynical views of issues so my larger point was that we shouldn't just write this gesture off as purely symbolic or a desparate campaign ploy. If it were a campaign ploy, I would think she'd be on every radio and tv station giving interviews and sound bites. Isn't that what you normally see media hungry politicians do?

MIRepublic Guest

It's a political ploy that she probably just so happens to agree with. The point is that I feel very comfortable in accusing her first and primary motive for this move to have been political.

Blarf Guest

Wow. How thoughtful.

Is the car already paid for, or is the lease up? Will the car be donated?

The article says that its a leased vehicle and that it will be returned to the police fleet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast