Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ah, yes. From Shorpy Cadillac Square, 1918

I don't see how 100 years have improved this photo very much. What say you?

It's stinky with no linky.

Fill the Flag: 1918

Folks like to zoom in on those babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It's stinky with no linky.

Fill the Flag: 1918

Folks like to zoom in on those babies.
    You're right. Had a first-class brain fart on that one.

That's ok, Ray.

So... tell us, what was it like back then. Did you really walk uphill both ways on your way to the schoolhouse?

Is that Jjaba on the Dexter Tram heading West?

When is this site ever gonna allow attachments to be viewed via mobile? 2018 and I still gotta switch to Desktop View to see things. It's not 2001 anymore. geez

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    That's ok, Ray.

So... tell us, what was it like back then. Did you really walk uphill both ways on your way to the schoolhouse?

Is that Jjaba on the Dexter Tram heading West?
    Sure miss Jjaba since he moved to somewhere near the Pacific. And, yes, going to and from Monnier elementary was uphill both ways, and back then [[before global warming) we had blizzards in June. Had a heck of a time pushing my bike through the snowdrifts to deliver the Detroit Times.

I'm sure there is truth in there somewhere.

Speaking of truth, I believe that theater in the shorpy pic would grow up to be a dirty movie house.

It would meet its firey end during a run of Deep Throat. The firemen had trouble getting inside because the patrons were lined up out front asking for ticket refunds.

True.

This is the one website I absolutely despise, Shorpy!! I do not understand the fascination with this site here on Detroityes as every photo posted on the site is just a "touched up" version of the original available for FREE from the Library of Congress website.

An image of the corner from another free source the Burton Historical Collection, date unknown, and a color image from the archives of Charles M. Bayer, circa 1950's
    Attached Images Attached Images    

^^^ Where is this tall building with top speres? Was it raised?

Zacha: The tall building was originally the Real Estate Exchange, and later was renamed the Cadillac Square Building. It was demolished in 1976 to make space for a mall that never materialized.

Sad. Such a beauty. Didn't think I'd missed it looking at recent downtown pics.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    This is the one website I absolutely despise, Shorpy!! I do not understand the fascination with this site here on Detroityes as every photo posted on the site is just a "touched up" version of the original available for FREE from the Library of Congress website.
    The thing that I like about Shorpy is the comments. It's really a curated discussion group. You often get comments from people who remember what was pictured, sometimes from the time the photo was made.

In a way it's like DetroitYes, but without the arguments about transportation or the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    ...In a way it's like DetroitYes, but without the arguments about transportation or the Queen.
    Let's leave Donald's sexuality out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    You're right. Had a first-class brain fart on that one.
    But I like that you show a preview so pic + link is preferred. Thanks.

Hah! That was naughty!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Let's leave Donald's sexuality out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    When is this site ever gonna allow attachments to be viewed via mobile? 2018 and I still gotta switch to Desktop View to see things. It's not 2001 anymore. geez
    Never noticed that before, I'll have my techs check into that. In the meantime here is a work around.

Scroll to the bottom of the mobile view window and tap "Full Site".

Name:  Image-1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 1196
Size:  158.1 KB

This will give you a miniature version of the desktop view. Although I have to pinch in and out some, I prefer it to the mobile. Here is what it looks like after the switch.

Name:  Image-1.jpg-1.jpeg
Views: 1126
Size:  220.4 KB

Should I post this detail on the Falling Transit Ridership thread?

Name:  tram.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  37.4 KB

Public transit. Relax, use your laptop, read a book.

Name:  Baker-1910-303x173.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  17.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post

An image of the corner from another free source the Burton Historical Collection, date unknown, and a color image from the archives of Charles M. Bayer, circa 1950's
    The color shot gives a rare aerial glimpse of the First National Building's cornice before it was removed and replaced by some gorgeous aluminum siding.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Zacha: The tall building was originally the Real Estate Exchange, and later was renamed the Cadillac Square Building. It was demolished in 1976 to make space for a mall that never materialized.
    There is still a building in that area that is called the Cadillac Square Building and has suspiciously similar architectural elements to the historic photos above in this thread. I think maybe only the shorter 5 story building looks to have come down. Look at this modern photo of whatever they are now calling Cadillac Square Building and compare the mechanicals housing box on top of the tower to the original. Also note the shorter spires that look like they were retained in a remuddling. There is a detail about 1/6 down from the top that also looks similar to the original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadill...erDetroit2.jpg

On closer look at the color photo, I think I see the side of the tower that I just posted. So it looks like that block had a pair of towers with some similar features. The one I've posted looks to be several stories taller.

I’m confused. Was that building ‘grown’ at some point adding 15 floors and removing the west facing windows. Neither historicdetroit.org nor it’s Wikipedia entry mention how that happened.

I'm confused at who is responding to whom.

Two buildings. One in foreground demoed 1976. One in background always that size.

Name:  bl.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  105.7 KB

Also from Shorpy. Being demolished one floor at a time!

Name:  55AB5553-38A4-40CB-BF87-E1BF362E7AC8.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  56.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Also from Shorpy. Being demolished one floor at a time!

Name:  55AB5553-38A4-40CB-BF87-E1BF362E7AC8.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  56.0 KB
    Wow! So that's how they did it in 1976? Or they couldn't implode it for some reason or another?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast