Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Archive footage - more info needed please

Hi everyone, I came across this amazing footage of Detroit in 1917 - I'm wondering if anyone might know where this might have been filmed?
    00:22 City of Detroit turns out to say goodbye to soldiers of the American Expeditionary Force [[AEF), patriotic parade in Detroit Michigan. WW1 Soldiers marching to train station and boarding train. WWI soldier kissing goodbye to woman under umbrella at train station. [[anyone know which station this might have been?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGWgwZHTCw&t=1s

Thanks! Emily

It was likely either Fort Street Union Depot or Michigan Central.

The clip at 4:54 shows a Detroit Police mounted patrolman; the badge is clearly DPD. It was taken on Woodward, around the old J.L. Hudson building. The Fyfe shoe store is the large building in the distance on the left. Lots of the automobile clips were promotional; back then all cars were required to have a front license plate, but the manufacturers showed their cars without license plates [[much as they do now!). However, at 7.23, that car clearly shows a 1926 Michigan license plate. Have one in my collection. That said.....great clip! Thanks, emily!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The clip at 4:54 shows a Detroit Police mounted patrolman; the badge is clearly DPD. It was taken on Woodward, around the old J.L. Hudson building. The Fyfe shoe store is the large building in the distance on the left. Lots of the automobile clips were promotional; back then all cars were required to have a front license plate, but the manufacturers showed their cars without license plates [[much as they do now!). However, at 7.23, that car clearly shows a 1926 Michigan license plate. Have one in my collection. That said.....great clip! Thanks, emily!!!

Once a cop, always a cop...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The Fyfe shoe store is the large building in the distance on the left.
    It is also under construction. As it is nearly finished, and was constructed between 1916 and 1919, it's reasonable think this is the Nov. 1918 and celebration of the end of WWI. The steeple of First Methodist is on the right. How about the footage at 7:03? First concrete highway on Woodward?

Name:  fyfeold.png
Views: 436
Size:  164.8 KB

Awesome details Ray1936. Thanks!

I think the station must be Michigan Central - according to this newspaper clipping? - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mudpuppie/40432495674/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Awesome details Ray1936. Thanks!
    Thanks. Here's the 1926 plate in my collection. But I'm wandering again, aren't I?