Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rocker Chris Cornell's death in the Detroit MGM

Did the suicide death of Chris Cornell [[previously in the band Soundgarden before a solo career) gain much media attention in Detroit?

He was staying at the MGM, probably on tour in Detroit at the time.

He had fans around the globe and seemed like a cool guy, but I don't know whether the death was big news in Detroit itself. Probably bigger news in showbiz media.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Did the suicide death of Chris Cornell [[previously in the band Soundgarden before a solo career) gain much media attention in Detroit?

He was staying at the MGM, probably on tour in Detroit at the time.

He had fans around the globe and seemed like a cool guy, but I don't know whether the death was big news in Detroit itself. Probably bigger news in showbiz media.
    Yes there was a lot of coverage on it here.

[QUOTE=night-timer;545628]Did the suicide death of Chris Cornell [[previously in the band Soundgarden before a solo career) gain much media attention in Detroit?

They played a show at the Fox Theatre that night [[I was at the show) and an hour after it ended he was dead. Really shocking and it was big news here and nationally when it happened.

Dr Jeff, I must say that was good timing on your part to truly see his swan-song.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Dr Jeff, I must say that was good timing on your part to truly see his swan-song.
    It still shocks me. By the time I got home from the show he was dead. I thought it was a great show although there were a couple of hiccups.