Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Handicap Accesability Info after hard work.Ford Field

A family friend is graduating from Wayne State on May 8 & I’m hoping to attend.

I’m disabled and not very mobile. I’m not in a wheelchair, but I do use a walker for stability and have trouble climbing stairs, so I’d be unable to get to the upper stadium seats for the ceremony.

Is there a special seating area for handicapped visitors on the ground floor if they’re unable to manage the stairs? I look forward to seeing our friend graduate after four long years of hard work and don’t want to miss it. I’ve never been to Ford Field before and this will probably be the only time I go there.

Thread title should read Handicap Accessability Info Ford Field After hard work should be omitted.
    Last edited by msamslex; March-28-18 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Correction to thread title

I was there several times for football games with my very elderly father. There are handicapped accessible seats at the top of the lower level just off the main concourse, and on the other levels as well. There are plenty of elevators and escalators available to get from one level to another.

I have no idea how they handle ticketing, seating, assistance, etc. for something like a graduation. For Lions games you can order accessible seats through the online ticketing setup, but I found it worked better to call Ford Field guest services and tell them what your needs are. They were very helpful, and on game day there were always a few assistants available to help with the seating process. You just have to ask for them at the gate.

I doubt if the setup will be anywhere near as complete for a graduation ceremony as for an NFL game, but perhaps you could try calling Ford Field and asking for guest services to see if they may be able to help you out. Also, you might try contacting WSU and finding out who is in charge of commencements. Usually a large university will have someone in charge of the planning of the ceremonies and systems in place for handling special situations.

Thank you EastsideAl. I appreciate the info you gave. I’ll look into it.