Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Retail

New retail use to be the talk on here. I'm excited that another store had filled a storefront but it's a little too pricey for a poor person like me. Levi Strauss or Guess would really bring the crowd in. Does anyone know what is going in next to Under Armour? I see some activity going in inside that space?

Madewell is coming to downtown Detroit. I'm sure about that.

The Internet, real estate sources and a worker at one of the company's stores tell me so.

The only problem is that I don't know exactly when or where the women's fashion retailer will plant its flag on Woodward Avenue, but I at least know which block.

An employee in the retailer's Troy location in the Somerset Collection described the new downtown store as "next to the Shinola Hotel" [[not to mention describing it as being "awesome"). That can mean a few things.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

It will be nice to have retail on the east side of Woodward. Everything, except Varvatos, seems to be on west side. Sorry the unbalance of it annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Madewell is coming to downtown Detroit. I'm sure about that.

The Internet, real estate sources and a worker at one of the company's stores tell me so.

The only problem is that I don't know exactly when or where the women's fashion retailer will plant its flag on Woodward Avenue, but I at least know which block.

An employee in the retailer's Troy location in the Somerset Collection described the new downtown store as "next to the Shinola Hotel" [[not to mention describing it as being "awesome"). That can mean a few things.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...wntown-detroit

The link doesn't work so I had to look them up. You're right, "awesome" must mean different things to different people.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It will be nice to have retail on the east side of Woodward. Everything, except Varvatos, seems to be on west side. Sorry the unbalance of it annoys me.
    Yes, it makes the road tilt to one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yes, it makes the road tilt to one side.
    LOL Exactly...just my own personal feng shui.

I’d welcome any business but this is very suburban mom apparel
    https://youtu.be/2aVxNH6iN9I

IDK what you guys want but I think this store is just what downtown needs. They have women's basics that seem to be geared towards working professionals. It's not flashy like Guess or MK but they're selling what I see most of the women I associate with wearing daily.

Edit: and these women I speak of are in their 20s or early 30s.

I agree. Basic women's dress casual store is what is needed in downtown Detroit. I had been saying it for years. Women's will boost the retail market downtown for they do more shopping than men. I still would like to know what's going next door to Under Armour. There's some activity going in inside the storefront

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I agree. Basic women's dress casual store is what is needed in downtown Detroit. I had been saying it for years. Women's will boost the retail market downtown for they do more shopping than men. I still would like to know what's going next door to Under Armour. There's some activity going in inside the storefront
    correct

Per Crain's [[and their website), Madewell is opening Tuesday.

I’m not a wealthy guy but I think it’s a good idea to let the Woodward corridor retail become somewhat of a Great Lakes rodeo drive. Detrout does have room for popup businesses to appear during the summer and even winter on the sidewalks. Artists could set up carts “keep it real” downtown and make it a destination.

Nearby there are other areas. Capital park, grand circus, broadway and the library st area and so on that can benefit from having destination retail downtown. People go to rodeo drive to be amazed at the stores but souvenirs are available nearby for those that want to remember that “I was there”.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carver View Post
    I’m not a wealthy guy but I think it’s a good idea to let the Woodward corridor retail become somewhat of a Great Lakes rodeo drive. Detrout does have room for popup businesses to appear during the summer and even winter on the sidewalks. Artists could set up carts “keep it real” downtown and make it a destination.

Nearby there are other areas. Capital park, grand circus, broadway and the library st area and so on that can benefit from having destination retail downtown. People go to rodeo drive to be amazed at the stores but souvenirs are available nearby for those that want to remember that “I was there”.
    I totally agree. With beefed up security along Woodward it has a chance to be the Rodeo Drive of the Midwest or Micjigan. I would like to say that it has a chance to be a "Magnificent Mile" of Michigan such as Chicago and shoppers could get a 24 hour pass for the Qline to jump on and off anytime if they see a store they would like to stop and shop at along the Woodward corridor as well as taking advantage of events going on at the DIA or the Fisher. I could see downtown workers taking the Qline to Target that will be down on Woodward while o their lunch breaks. Or downtown residents using it to go to places in Midtown. Getting back to downtown, more and more shops like Madewell and Warby Parker etc need to open on Woodward as well as a Chocalate store or candy store or even bringing back Sanders to downtown Detroit would had make it a destination for all. I still say that a Columbia store would do great downtown

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I totally agree. With beefed up security along Woodward it has a chance to be the Rodeo Drive of the Midwest or Micjigan. I would like to say that it has a chance to be a "Magnificent Mile" of Michigan such as Chicago and shoppers could get a 24 hour pass for the Qline to jump on and off anytime if they see a store they would like to stop and shop at along the Woodward corridor as well as taking advantage of events going on at the DIA or the Fisher. I could see downtown workers taking the Qline to Target that will be down on Woodward while o their lunch breaks. Or downtown residents using it to go to places in Midtown. Getting back to downtown, more and more shops like Madewell and Warby Parker etc need to open on Woodward as well as a Chocalate store or candy store or even bringing back Sanders to downtown Detroit would had make it a destination for all. I still say that a Columbia store would do great downtown
    No one is going to take a QLine on their lunch break if they have to wait 20 minutes for it to come lol

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    No one is going to take a QLine on their lunch break if they have to wait 20 minutes for it to come lol
    Probably not for those who only have 20 minutes. Just say that one would have any hour or so and wanted to go to the supposedly Target that might be on Woodward near Mack to get something from there. Just jump on the Q and get the item without having to worry about parking. This also will apply to those actually living downtown and midtown as well

Greyson Clothier, an upmarket active and casual wear label, has opened a pop up inside the First National Building with hopes of landing somewhere permanent.

The founder is from here, so this is a nice homecoming for us. And by the looks of it, would be their first stand alone store.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...q-move-detroit

Read this article after posting the above comment first. Really interesting and exciting to hear about this! Store and what sounds to me like an HQ.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; May-30-19 at 11:42 AM.

Greyson Clothier, an upmarket active and casual wear label, has opened a pop up inside the First National Building with hopes of landing somewhere permanent.

The founder is from here, so this is a nice homecoming for us. And by the looks of it, would be their first stand alone store.
    I hadn't heard of Greyson Clothiers. From the name, I assumed they were bespoke men's suits. Imagine my surprise when I found out they are a golf wear company. Whatever they're selling, I hope they sell enough to convince them to open a permanent spot.

ON ANOTHER NOTE :

Prime & Proper proprietor turning Will Leather Goods
    --- into pizza restaurant, market

a big store with not as much a traffic-ignited Midtown yet,"

Retail ? Fashion ? a real force to contend with, revitalizing the D .........c'mon

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...nt/1210832001/
    Last edited by O3H; May-31-19 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    ON ANOTHER NOTE :

Prime & Proper proprietor turning Will Leather Goods
    --- into pizza restaurant, market

a big store with not as much a traffic-ignited Midtown yet,"

Retail ? Fashion ? a real force to contend with, revitalizing the D .........c'mon

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...nt/1210832001/

interesting. I may check it out when it opens as a pizza restaurant. Hopefully the leather goods store can find a good alternative spot.

Will's was a great store in a beautiful space. However they have to know the market in that area cannot support $300 leather goods. As a showplace and lively environment it was great. But as a sustainable money-making store, there is no way it was possible. I do hope they find a space suitable to staying in Detroit though. I always loved browsing their selection and chatting up the employees.
    Last edited by DetroitSoldier; June-05-19 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Will's was a great store in a beautiful space. However they have to know the market in that area cannot support $300 leather goods. As a showplace and lively environment it was great. But as a sustainable money-making store, there is no way it was possible. I do hope they find a space suitable to staying in Detroit though. I always loved browsing their selection and chatting up the employees.
    I think a smaller-sized store in Capitol Park or along the fledgling retail district on Woodward [[near Shinola Hotel) would be great re-location ideas. I think these locations would get more foot traffic than Second Avenue in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I think a smaller-sized store in Capitol Park or along the fledgling retail district on Woodward [[near Shinola Hotel) would be great re-location ideas. I think these locations would get more foot traffic than Second Avenue in Midtown.
    I’m glad to hear they’re looking for a new location and I agree either of these spots would be perfect. This could be a win-win; a new Midtown restaurant and one less vacant storefront downtown.

Will's were too high priced for my pocket. I will stick to Carrhart for my leather belts and goods

so a pet supply store got the premier retail spot facing grand circus park in that building.... what a shame. happy to see more retail coming downtown but that could have been a really great restaraunt with patio seating ... excited to see what else goes in the building though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast